Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 06:47 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,400,481 times

Advertisements

Why so much debate about a post by someone who is either 1) a troll or 2) a sociopath/narcissist?

Anyone with a basic moral compass can arrive at the answer to this question: You treat someone else the way you want them to treat you. To do anything less is utter hypocrisy. If you are ok with your partner sleeping around behind your back and potentially exposing you to sexually transmitted diseases when you are unaware of the risks being taken, then go right ahead and cheat on them. If you are ok with them developing intimate relationships and possibly becoming emotionally estranged from you (not that the OP experiences normal human emotions like the non-sociopaths/narcissists on these boards do), then go right ahead and do the same. If you are ok with them potentially producing a child with someone else, then go ahead and do that too.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:52 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,196,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Why so much debate about a post by someone who is either 1) a troll or 2) a sociopath/narcissist?

Anyone with a basic moral compass can arrive at the answer to this question: You treat someone else the way you want them to treat you. To do anything less is utter hypocrisy. If you are ok with your partner sleeping around behind your back and potentially exposing you to sexually transmitted diseases when you are unaware of the risks being taken, then go right ahead and cheat on them. If you are ok with them developing intimate relationships and possibly becoming emotionally estranged from you (not that the OP experiences normal human emotions like the non-sociopaths/narcissists on these boards do), then go right ahead and do the same. If you are ok with them potentially producing a child with someone else, then go ahead and do that too.
Because it's funny!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:57 PM

49 posts, read 35,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

OK, so I make a "troll" post, yet you attempt to cite a serious point in a block paragraph (thus defeating others from attempting to read it?)

And I have faults?

Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,916,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Hey - I'm not condoning violence or cheating. Haven't you heard of Lorena Bobbitt? I'm merely warning you of the possible consequences!

Oh - and I also don't condone calling people names. But that's just me.
My name is Raena.Want me add the La to it?

Oh trolly....

Old 02-03-2013, 11:19 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,742,740 times
How's the quest for normal knowledge coming along, samston?

Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,580,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmanformumbaifem View Post
Consequences don't exist. everybody knows that.

I'm simply asking why it's wrong to cheat. I don't need your comments, I'm not your son. Perhaps you're autistic and don't get how to interact with strangers.
I'm sure you've already been called out as a troll, but people like you are the reason why businesses fail and our society is so screwed up now. It's wrong to cheat because cheating is a result of not being honest.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:30 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,580,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmanformumbaifem View Post
OK, so I make a "troll" post, yet you attempt to cite a serious point in a block paragraph (thus defeating others from attempting to read it?)

And I have faults?
But you obviously love attention. Chicken or the egg?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 AM

393 posts, read 466,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Of course you are free to cheat in a monogamous relationship. But you only get 1 life, why live it inauthentically when you can simply tell the person you are dating that you don't want to be sexually exclusive? All that takes is a bit of courage. Personally I like having the stones to look people in the eye and tell them who I am and what I want/need. But that comes with maturity I suppose.
You're leaving out one teensy-weensy fact: if you say that, almost everyone won't want to be with you--or at least, that's what people in our society have been given every reason to believe. And you'll probably have a much poorer dating/romantic life overall, because your chances for success with the few that will are no greater than they are between normal, supposedly monogamous couples. How is refraining from saying you don't want to be monogamous to avoid this living any more "inauthentically" than, say, being an atheist yet claiming you believe in God because you want to be elected president, yet know that if you were honest about being an atheist, getting elected would be very difficult or impossible?

And frankly, I find leaving out glaring things which are crucial to an honest discussion, as you've done here, to be very inconsistent with the "authenticity" you claim you value so much.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,686,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi64 View Post
You're leaving out one teensy-weensy fact: if you say that, almost everyone won't want to be with you--or at least, that's what people in our society have been given every reason to believe. And you'll probably have a much poorer dating/romantic life overall, because your chances for success with the few that will are no greater than they are between normal, supposedly monogamous couples. How is refraining from saying you don't want to be monogamous to avoid this living any more "inauthentically" than, say, being an atheist yet claiming you believe in God because you want to be elected president, yet know that if you were honest about being an atheist, getting elected would be very difficult or impossible?

And frankly, I find leaving out glaring things which are crucial to an honest discussion, as you've done here, to be very inconsistent with the "authenticity" you claim you value so much.
If you aren't smart enough to figure out that being the real you will lead to your being rejected by people who aren't interested in the real you, there is nothing I can post to help you. Didn't you watch after school specials when you were 12?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 AM

393 posts, read 466,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
It isn't wrong because society says so. It is wrong because when you cheat, you lie.

There would be no problem if people--and let's face it, we're mostly talking about men here--would have the guts to admit they'd rather be non-monogamous. Trouble is, men know that if they made that admission, their dating pool would likely dwindle significantly. So, rather then make the extra effort to meet women (or men) who are non-monogamous, they lie. They lead women (or men) to think they are being monogamous, when in fact they aren't. Cheaters are just chickens.

First of all, you can't argue that something is wrong simply because it involves lying. There are many situations where lying can be justified, and sometimes it's even required from a moral standpoint. And I don't think "cheating" itself is necessarily lying. If you get married, and you said you were going to be faithful in your vows, and meant it at the time, but have an affair years later, that's not lying--it's breaking a promise, which is not the same thing. This is one problem with you saying "there would be no problem" if everyone said they don't want to be monogamous, because most people who "cheat" didn't think they would ever want to when they began their marriage/relationship.

And I find it very disingenuous of you to say that if men said they didn't want to be monogamous, "their dating pool would dwindle significantly." As I said in another post, they have reason to believe that it wouldn't just greatly diminish, it would virtually dry up. And your own comment about far more men than women feeling this way suggest that for straight men at least, this would indeed be the case (although I think that perhaps as many women don't want to be monogamous as men). It's not fair to expect someone to do something they believe will virtually ruin their prospects with the opposite/same sex. If you want them to be honest about this, you have to provide real evidence that this wouldn't happen if they were.

Finally, there's the whole issue of jealousy. Just because someone doesn't want to be monogamous, it doesn't necessarily mean they'd be able to deal with the other person being this way as well. That sounds very hypocritical, and indeed it is, but it's also human nature, and it must be addressed in discussing this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships