Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 04:54 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I really can't stand pompas-ass people.
Amen.

The incredibly effing stupid people annoy the hell out of me, too. Who gave those window lickers internet access?

Old 06-25-2013, 05:02 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Amen.

The incredibly effing stupid people annoy the hell out of me, too. Who gave those window lickers internet access?
They're everywhere and work together.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:22 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
They're everywhere and work together.
Yup. They multiply.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Hey Sixy,

I think you said that you're from New York. I started a thread over in NYC asking some stupid questions about NY. If you're from NY could you provide this idiot some answers, perhaps.

Confused and bewildered

Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 PM

I'm divorced with two kids, share custody with my ex-wife, my finances are crap so I moved back in with mom because I was struggling to pay my share of the rent. She bought me a truck so I could continue working because I sold my last truck to concentrate on a business idea that has gone nowhere, like all the others. Inspite of all this I can still afford to buy my kids motorcycles.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:49 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Hey Sixy,

I think you said that you're from New York. I started a thread over in NYC asking some stupid questions about NY. If you're from NY could you provide this idiot some answers, perhaps.

Confused and bewildered
Wowzers...you have LOTS of questions! Okay...I'll try to cover it all.

Okay, there are 5 boroughs. Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Statan Island. The skyline you see on TV is in Manhattan. That is "the city". There are tall-ish buildings in the other boroughs but they are not the sky-scraper buildings you see on TV. Manhattan is the hotspot for the financial district (NASDAQ, NY stock exchange) and headquarters for banks, insurance companies, etc. Also a ton of lawyers there. It's also host to Broadway and Times Square. The other boroughs are pretty much "sprawl" from there. Yes, taxi service is pretty much like that in NY...and they drive like they are psycho too! You can take the subway system pretty much anywhere but sometimes it's hard to navigate and better to go with someone that knows the routes.

We lived about 45 minutes by train from Manhattan, direct route. We'd go in every so often but it quickly looses it's appeal. My parents still go in there for shows and dinner. It's VERY walkable.

Long Island is made up primarily of two counties, Nassau and Suffolk. Nassau encompasses the western half of Long Island and Suffolk the eastern half. At the very eastern end of Long Island, the land forks. The Hamptons (BridgeHampton, West Hampton, East Hampton, South Hampton and Hampton Bays) are all on the southern fork of Long Island. Montauk is on the very eastern tip of the south fork. They are all very wealthy areas and not overly populated yet like Suffolk and Nassau. Lots of celebrities and such live out there. If you are going to "summer" out there, you have money because you likely own property out there.

Home values on Long Island have taken a hit and there are some really bad areas...really bad. There are also very, very wealthy areas. If you live along the water, for the most part you have money. If you live inland, you don't (generally speaking but not always).

All of those areas above only cover a small, small portion of NY but contain the bulk of the population. There is "upstate" NY which is directly north and then there is Western NY. These areas are very different from Long Island and the 5 boroughs...almost unrecognizable. These parts have wanted to seperate from "NY" for a long time.

I grew up in Suffolk in suburbia and then moved to Western NY when I was in college. When we built our home, we were surrounded by horse farms and corn fields and I very much preferred that area.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Hey Sixy,

Confused and bewildered
Having lived in at least three of the five boroughs of NYC, In no special order:
1. Manhattan, 2. Brooklyn, 3.the Bronx, 4. Queens, Staten Island) I could answer all those questions, but I have to recoup from reading all of that. LOL Also, boroughs are just another name for the cities in NYC. There's a history for that, but it's google friendly.

I'll try to give some info on the questions I do remember. The city is Manhattan, Long Island is an Island in the state of NY, the Hampton's, touristy, but for the most part it's where a number of people with money call home, where people with a little money or some saved up for a lifetime go to summer usually just for a week or weekend.

Yonkers is in Westchester County, Just North of NYC,

Explaining the ethnic, economic makeup of any particular area would take all evening, it's quite diverse and there are so many areas in each and every corner. There is division in segments of areas, but the breakdown will be all over the place even if you pick one borough it could take a while. You have upper Manhattan, mid manh, lower Manhattan, places you don't want to be when the sun is up or down.

As far as traveling public transit, if you live in NYC, yes, there's hardly a place you can't get using this method most any hour. People travel into the NYC using public transit from counties outside of the five boroughs and outside of the state as well. Yes people walk out of buildings and hail cabs, it is pretty much as you see it, but you can also call ahead, but most people hail cabs. Manhattan is as crowded as it is depicted, people walk fast, to this day, I still have to catch myself when I'm out shopping, I go into a bit of gotta get from point a to point be in five seconds flat and get annoyed when someone is walking a little to slow in front of me. Whyyyyyyy there are only three other people walking on this strip mall sidewalk. I can usually tell the NY tourist the second they walk by.

I'm sure I left out a lot, but my head hurts now.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
You don't need to eat cereal I have baked spaghetti in the fridge.
Are you sharing? lol

I made the kids quesadillas. I had a few tortilla chips and a slice of cheese but I haven't decided what I want to eat. I guess it's kind of late for that now

Old 06-25-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Are you sharing? lol

I made the kids quesadillas. I had a few tortilla chips and a slice of cheese but I haven't decided what I want to eat. I guess it's kind of late for that now
That's why I offered, but by the time you get here it will be way past my bed time.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
That's why I offered, but by the time you get here it will be way past my bed time.
Awww! Aren't you sweet

I found a bag of Cauliflower in the freezer...one of those steam in the bag things. Good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships