Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,685,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Yeah but if your used to women cooking for you(female friends, GF's, FWBs) it's not going to impress you as much as it would those guys, because your used to it
I don't really know any women who cook for each other, save for holiday potluck sitations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,112,240 times
OngletNYC
I think it is great that you will cook for your man! My wife is an excellent cook, and I also like to cook. We have a large kitchen and work in it together when we are having guests for dinner, which is often. I wash pots and pans as I use them, she washes when she is all done cooking. When we are in the kitchen together I keep pots, pans, and cooking utensils cleaned up and put away. When we were dating twenty years ago, she used to stop by my house every Wednesday night and I would cook dinner, or she would cook food that I had on hand. We ate dinner at her house seldom. We eat out every Thursday night, at the same restaurant, and have been doing that for about ten years now. We take turns paying if we go to a different restaurant, as we sometimes do. I would never have married her if she didn't like cooking. Her sister doesn't cook, or do much of anything else, what a drag...

Old 02-11-2013, 01:12 PM

48,559 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
You're married so it's ok.
It matters MORE. I watched all this stuff much less when I was single.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:22 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,856,433 times
I'm in a relationship and although we're not totally living together, we do spend the biggest part of each week together. I do a great deal of cooking now although he prepares several meals each week. He's retired and I still work full time so most often his cooking is on nights I come home from a full day at work. However, I also go to the gym several days each week after work and never really feel like a meal so neither of us does much cooking on those days. Like others here have said, he pays when we eat out and he also contributes to the groceries in my house.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I suspect that they are reacting against the old idea that women "belong" in the kitchen and therefore they refuse to have anything to do with it.: I wonder whether they would feel more comfortable if they aspired to cook at a restaurant-quality level. After all, most chefs are men.
To be honest, I see where people are coming from with this...however, my viewpoint is that there is little that's more independent and self-sufficient than having the ability to prepare meals (really prepare them, not just heat something up). It's a survival skill, not something that makes a "weaker sex" statement.

I don't see being resourceful enough to feed one's self (and others, if one chooses) well as a subjugating thing. The being able to cook isn't/wasn't the issue, it was the being expected to be the only one who does the job that is/was. I've never seen attaining a variety of skills to be something that dents one's liberation; quite the opposite. For me, cooking isn't about being tied to the kitchen because I'm female, it's about having a useful life skill.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
For some reason there is an epidemic of women my age (early to mid 20's) who have no experience or refuse to cook.
Millennials are resistant to self-sufficiency in general, but they are not all like that.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I don't really know any women who cook for each other, save for holiday potluck sitations.
Huh?
My friends and I cook for each other all the time.

You never have meals with friends?
Some of my friends (men and women) are amazing cooks!!!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:48 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,701,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It matters MORE. I watched all this stuff much less when I was single.
It shouldn't. The milk is purchased already. Let yourself go if you want. It matters much more when you're unmarried in my opinion. When you're unattached in general.

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 02-11-2013 at 10:06 PM..

Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 PM

322 posts, read 429,918 times
I like to cook and used to really do it up on Fridays for the ex. Chicken Kiev was my best speciality. But I tried a lot of stuff that mostly came out pretty good - Baked Alaska, Flaming Cherries Jubilee, Chinese chicken, leek soup, gourmet ice creams and mousses... and I'm well known in my family for my specialties on the BBQ.

I thought about trying bird nest soup once, but when I saw the instructions in The Joy of Cooking for retrieving the birds nest, I passed on that one. I think it started by telling you to search the local cliffs...

The first time I made chicken kiev, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I started with page one of the Joy of Cooking and went from there. So, my first gourmet dinner took something like eight to ten hours to prepare. Man, I was pounding that chicken for hours!!! NEVER buy thighs for this again. Deboned breasts only!!! Check.

Last edited by RunWild; 02-11-2013 at 10:15 PM..

Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,192,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Huh?
My friends and I cook for each other all the time.

You never have meals with friends?
Some of my friends (men and women) are amazing cooks!!!
Same here! I LOVE cooking for my friends. I love cooking for anyone and everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships