Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 PM

117 posts, read 344,291 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I spent some time along with my wife on vacation at my new brother in laws house. He is several years older then me and happened to marry a very wealthy woman worth at least 30 million. According to my wife, ever since he was a teenager he wanted to marry into money. So, is he a typical "Gigolo", far from it.

1 Unlike the media caricature of the Gigolo, he is definitely an intellectual.

A. He is a professor at a high quality regional college.

B. He has had several well written books published in his niche field, one being endorsed by a high profile figure in his discipline.

C. His collaborations with others across disciplines have been very innovative.

D. I sat down to talk to him for hours and he not only was knowledgeable about many subjects but was able to see the big picture implications of certain ideas and offer his own unique twists. I spoke to him about some of my views on economics and politics and he was able to not only expand upon some ideas I presented to him, but show me how I was flawed about certain things and suggested some alternative possibilities. We really connected since we have so many intellectual interests in common.

2. Unlike the media Caricature of the Gigolo, he is a very compasionate individual.

A. My wife told me that he has helped his wife tremendously with some of her personal problems with family members and when his wife was gravely ill many years ago, he was always there for her (luckily she recovered).

B. When discussing political issues and social issues he is very thoughtful seeing how all sides are affected by an issue.

C. To get where he got, he had to overcome some teenage learning disabilities. I heard him speak at a conference on overcoming these problems. When a teenage boy asked some questions that really hit home for him he stayed an extra 21 minutes to talk to the teenage boy one on one making him feel better about some of his difficulties

My questions are the following:

1. Have any of you known any men who purposely married rich women? If so, what were they like?

2. Why are men who marry for money seen as monsters and dumb pool boys when my brother in law, despite seeming to enjoy being married to a very wealthy woman is actually more of a sensitive intellectual then a "Gigolo Monster"?

I would be tremendously interested in your opinions,

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,752,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevechang103 View Post
Hello,

I spent some time along with my wife on vacation at my new brother in laws house. He is several years older then me and happened to marry a very wealthy woman worth at least 30 million. According to my wife, ever since he was a teenager he wanted to marry into money. So, is he a typical "Gigolo", far from it.

B. He has had several well written books published in his niche field, one being endorsed by a high profile figure in his discipline.

D. I sat down to talk to him for hours and he not only was knowledgeable about many subjects but was able to see the big picture implications of certain ideas and offer his own unique twists. I spoke to him about some of my views on economics and politics and he was able to not only expand upon some ideas I presented to him, but show me how I was flawed about certain things and suggested some alternative possibilities. We really connected since we have so many intellectual interests in common.

2. Unlike the media Caricature of the Gigolo, he is a very compasionate individual.

A. My wife told me that he has helped his wife tremendously with some of her personal problems with family members and when his wife was gravely ill many years ago, he was always there for her (luckily she recovered).

B. When discussing political issues and social issues he is very thoughtful seeing how all sides are affected by an issue.

C. To get where he got, he had to overcome some teenage learning disabilities. I heard him speak at a conference on overcoming these problems. When a teenage boy asked some questions that really hit home for him he stayed an extra 21 minutes to talk to the teenage boy one on one making him feel better about some of his difficulties

1. Have any of you known any men who purposely married rich women? If so, what were they like?

2. Why are men who marry for money seen as monsters and dumb pool boys when my brother in law, despite seeming to enjoy being married to a very wealthy woman is actually more of a sensitive intellectual then a "Gigolo Monster"?

Thanks
I would never marry a woman with money just for the money. I could care less what she made as long as she worked and tried. I have my own money and need her more than I need her money. I know some guys may do this just like some women may do it too. Both should be ashamed if that was their only reason. I do know a few who married average working women that became very weathy later in life. They had several rich uncles and aunts that they inherited very large sums of money after they passed away. I mean a bunch, like $750,000 and up. Because they grew up average, they kept the same upbringing and lifestyle as they did before the money. I think it worked out best for both of them that way. He married her because he loved/loves her. She married him as an honest working man and because she loved him. Every once in awhile they will throw some my way. They will call me up to do some simple, nearly stupid, chore that they could have done themselves and pay me handsomely to do it. Eighty bucks to fix a sprinklerhead and such.$$$$ I like that kind of thing. They never accept my refusal to take it. They want me to have it and enjoy my company and work. Nice-nice folks!

Old 03-21-2012, 04:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Maybe he cultivated his intellectual side as part of his roadmap to bagging a rich chick.

Just like women get boob jobs to snag the rich men.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
It is my opinion that people marry for plenty of reasons, why can't money be one of them? If he loves her for her, or for her money, does it matter?

You can't judge someone for marrying for money, just like you can't judge someone for marrying for looks, or personality. We marry so that we can find a suitable partner for our children. Money certainly would provides us with those qualities.

I highly doubt he married her JUST for money. For example, I doubt he can't stand her personality and I doubt he thinks she is hideous. He probably thinks shes an average person with a lot of money.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:46 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,752,078 times
The best things in life are NOT free. You have to earn them. You can always tell who has. They have a totally different outlook on things. Pay the piper so to speak. You wear those things on your body and inside every single day since.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:20 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,807 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks
Who ever said that a Gigolo had to be a dumb pool boy? In my opinion, I would be sympathetic if a dumb guy married a rich woman because he may not have many options to support himself otherwise. Sometimes people don't fall in love with the money exactly, but rather the security it can bring.

Your brother in law sounds very intelligent, well educated, and obviously has a viable career on his own so I feel that his actions are probably quite calculated. However, if the woman he married is aware that he always wanted to marry rich then I can't really criticize.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,009,486 times
Quote:

Thanks
Several. And every one of them has been to college. If it's ok with the woman he's marrying, who am I to give my opinion unless they ask? But I just don't think college and knowledge and all the crap has anything to do with it. I've never been impressed with someone's education or where they stand in society. I look at character, common sense, wisdom. Unfortunately, many with college educations and money confuse that with or think it's a good replacement for wisdom, good character and common sense.

In other words, I don't care about his background as long as he's of good character and uses common sense and wisdom. Many people--men and women--seem to have this thing about financial security embedded in them and are blinded by it to the point that even love can't over-ride it. That doesn't make them monsters or gold-diggers. It's just not for me and I'm glad I was put together differently.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:37 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
I haven't seen a lot men marry for money but I've seen some men marry certain women who are well-connected in order to advance their own career.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:44 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks
This man is accomplished in his own right and doesn't fit the caricature of a gigilo. The issue he married for money, no different than a woman who does the same. Sterotypically, hes the hot pool boy toy and shes a goldigger.

Capricorn in Venus, will marry for money.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,009,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I haven't seen a lot men marry for money but I've seen some men marry certain women who are well-connected in order to advance their own career.
Same song. Different dance steps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships