Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 05:47 PM

753 posts, read 1,482,463 times

Advertisements

How do you make it through those first days after your spouse/SO has left? I'm talking about separation leading to divorce. My husband is leaving in two days. Any words of wisdom or tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 05:49 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,485 times
Keep busy. Get out of the house. Do things. Live life. Don't sit around dwelling on it.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:51 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
You poor thing. *hugs*

Stay busy. Be with friends.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:55 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
How do you make it through those first days after your spouse/SO has left? I'm talking about separation leading to divorce. My husband is leaving in two days. Any words of wisdom or tips?
When my ex moved out, I walked around the apartment marveling at how beautifully, wonderfully clean and uncluttered it was. Then I watched what I wanted to watch, ate what I wanted to eat for dinner without cooking a dang thing, left the door open when I peed, used all the hot water when I showered, spread my clothes out throughout the closets, and slept diagonally on the bed, a nice, long sleep uninterrupted by his snoring or his deciding to come to bed three hours after me and thus wake me up.

It was AWESOME.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:57 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
go to a gym, work out your pain and anger, this does wonders.....try to avoid ice cream, cigarettes, and pbr beer

set short and long term goals, write em down,,, keep a journal..

buy a mannequin, dress him in your x hubbys clothes, set it on fire,,,and throw it in a river
say your peace, forgive, forget, and walk away..

Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,784,210 times
If you can't get out. Clean. If you can afford it, make one carefully selected purchase to beautify your surroundings. Or cook a meal that you liked and he didn't (those exist even between the happiest couples). If you have friends that can, invite some over and avoid the "Oh, honey, you'll be okay" types. They have their purpose, just not at a social gathering.

If you're too emotionally fragile, do something kind for an elderly relative, friend, or neighbor. They sometimes appreciate someone who will non-judgmentally clean the top of the fridge, patiently dust their whole "Precious Moments" collection (use a paintbrush), or wash and rehang some curtains. All those things can be very difficult to do.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
If you can't get out. Clean. If you can afford it, make one carefully selected purchase to beautify your surroundings. Or cook a meal that you liked and he didn't (those exist even between the happiest couples). If you have friends that can, invite some over and avoid the "Oh, honey, you'll be okay" types. They have their purpose, just not at a social gathering.

If you're too emotionally fragile, do something kind for an elderly relative, friend, or neighbor. They sometimes appreciate someone who will non-judgmentally clean the top of the fridge, patiently dust their whole "Precious Moments" collection (use a paintbrush), or wash and rehang some curtains. All those things can be very difficult to do.
bran is right, cook something,

a nice prime rib, or a pork roast, smell the house up nice

if you really need diversion, join a few games online- I was addicted to facebook scrabble for 2 yrs....
takes your mind off reality

Old 02-20-2013, 06:09 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Even though the bitter and surprising end came quick for me I was relieved that it was over.

This could end up being a good thing for you...

Old 02-20-2013, 06:18 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
In addition to what some others have said :

Look after your basic bodily functions as best you can and it will be easier to cope. Eg eat and drink healthy and enough, get enough exercise, keep your mind active, get enough sleep.

Avoid "band-aid" measures : drugs, alcohol.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Sorry, OP....it is hard, I have done it too.

FIRST: DO NOT stay in the home while he is in the process of actually moving out...if possible, go to a friend's house, or relative for as long as it takes him to get out. Looks like it might be more than one day?? Then stay with a trusted friend.

Just do not be there while he is loading up and moving out....that would be crushing.

You then do what your feel is right....walk around the home, cry a bit if you must....
certainly you must allow yourself some time for grieving. Maybe a day or two, maybe, longer.

Have something planned that you really enjoy. Order in something delicious...have a friend over if that would help, but I found I needed to be alone to absorb the huge change coming in my life.

Got pets? They can be a tremendous comfort.
Take good care of yourself physically...hot baths are relaxing.
Move things around, or get rid of items he liked but you hated. Sounds kinda silly but I went around throwing small items he had given me into the trash. ( )
At times I needed just mindless activity....watching tv or household chores.
Walking is a good therapy, nothing needed except your shoes. One of my first few days, I went walking in freshly fallen snow for several hours....

You WILL get through this....

Thinking of you~gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships