Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The key to the success of your long-term relathionship is?
great chemistry 11 24.44%
good luck 9 20.00%
common interests 20 44.44%
active sex life with your partner 17 37.78%
an every day work on your relationship 17 37.78%
having successful relationship of your/your partner's parents as an example 3 6.67%
compatibility 29 64.44%
sense of humor 16 35.56%
other (specify in post if possible) 12 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:38 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times

Advertisements

Your poll left out one option, but I guess its a sign of the times. I checked other because if there is one secret to being happily that you've got to have its LOVE. No not the romantic, breathless kind that gets your blood pumping. Its the kind of love for someone that you genuinely care about, want to make them happy, spend time with them, enjoy their company, and want to always be with them and keep making them happy. If you have a couple with that kind of love, well then I can't see how that relationship can fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 11:46 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Your poll left out one option, but I guess its a sign of the times. I checked other because if there is one secret to being happily that you've got to have its LOVE. No not the romantic, breathless kind that gets your blood pumping. Its the kind of love for someone that you genuinely care about, want to make them happy, spend time with them, enjoy their company, and want to always be with them and keep making them happy. If you have a couple with that kind of love, well then I can't see how that relationship can fail.
That latter kind of love you described is the one present in my parent's relationship. They aren't the huggy, kissy kind, and in fact I don't think I've ever seen them kiss in my 20 or so years at home. But they've been together for such a long time because they respect and care for one another. That's the sort of partnership I hope to find in the future.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:49 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
I picked everyday work and sense of humor. Also, it's important to have realistic expectations if you want things to last. There will be imperfections, ruts, mistakes, etc but if you take your time, work through them and don't freak out when they happen it will most likely get better.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:17 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristarina View Post
Please share the main reasons (in your opinion) for the success of your long-term relationship, thanks
Interesting thread. Good reading.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:21 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
I was watching Dane Cook a few years back and he was doing stand up somewhere, and he said the secret is cheating.

naw seriously, longest relationship I've been in was 3 years, and it ended in her cheating on me since I refused to make children with her because of monetary reasons. So I don't really know, so I'm going to just write in Booze as an answer.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,200 times
I think there needs to be a good communication and boundaries in order to have a great relationship.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 AM

426 posts, read 558,982 times
in any successfull relationaship there is a taker and a giver- those roles can be switched on a day to day basis.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:27 AM

258 posts, read 450,749 times
Knowing when to let go of issues.
Supporting one another.
Communication.
Compromise.
Selfless love.

But I do not agree that sex is needed to sustain a long happy relationship. Intimacy yes, but not necessarily the act of sex itself. I've met people unable to be in a sexual relationship but they are madly in love and have been married for numerous years and more to come.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 AM

156 posts, read 175,531 times
Quote:
yeah, I know I left out lots of important options like love, communication, trust, respect, but that's why I gave the option 'other' and asked to specify what exactly this 'other' is.... anyway I left LOVE out, as I took it for granted, meaning/hoping that the couple is together is because they are in love with each other...

Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
I equated that with the "compatibility" and "chemistry" choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships