Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 04:22 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
As ridiculously cheap as this stuff is, lot of them have no bearing on anyone but himself. Unless you are living in the house with him, melting in the 103-degree heat or you get stuck on a deserted road in the middle of nowhere in his run-down hunk of junk, it doesn't really affect your lifestyle.

If you find all of this to be unbearable, break up with him. Really.
My thoughts exactly. He sounds a little (ok, a lot) more frugal than the avg american, but is that really a bad thing? Hopefully the guy is trying to build himself a nice egg so he can enjoy life without worry later.

That's one rule of thumb I used when graduating college. Live like a student as long as you can. Granted, I have cable/internet, a newer car, and I like good food sometimes, but I'm saving a lot more than many people my age.

If it is directly hurting you, address it. If it won't work, find someone else who fits your lifestyle. Again, I know plenty of people who live that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 04:25 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
I got a problem.

He pays $7 for subway. I can't imagine a world where I spend more than $5.35 for my foot long.

Otherwise, that's a freaking lifestyle, and that's a busy life being that stingy.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:38 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I find that of all the people that I have met that are excessively cheap or frugal or what ever label you call it, I find those type of people to just be dull as hell..... I don't know what it is, maybe it's just a coincidence , I don't know...

Dull dull dull dull dull dull

Old 03-09-2013, 04:40 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I find that of all the people that I have met that are excessively cheap or frugal or what ever label you call it, I find those type of people to just be dull as hell..... I don't know what it is, maybe it's just a coincidence , I don't know...

Dull dull dull dull dull dull
I don't know if it's a coincidence, but everyone I have known that was super frugal happened to also be very unattractive. Hmmm

Old 03-09-2013, 04:50 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp13579 View Post
Life can be so boring with a stingy guy like this-

Warn you. It is a long list, in no particular order. Thank you if you go through all of it.

1. He only chooses those restaurants that he has coupons.

2. He always orders the cheapest dishes. Appetizers or disserts are never in his life.

3. He only asks for water as his drink in restaurants.

4. He pours tons of the cheese, olive oil on his dish when they are free in restaurants.

5. He enjoys spending time to register with different restaurants online for free or discounts meals, and then to unsubscribe after the meals.

6. He grabs TWO food packages of leftovers when obviously there are not enough for all the people there. He refills a full cup of drink (fast-food coke) after he finishes his meal and right before he leaves the restaurant.

7. He is up to any events that have free stuff like T-shirt or food. He wants to wait in a long line even though the free food is worthy less than $1.

8. He never buys her a drink, a meal or an event ticket, but he takes it readily when he gets one from her. The only food he is willing to buy her is half of his $7 Subway.

9. He hesitates or unwilling to take out his wallet when buying small stuff of $5 for both of him and her.

10. He has no TV/internet cable at home. He has no any kind of music players.

11. He does not have cell phone- Well, he has one, a Tracfone, which he ONLY turns on when he is on a date/meeting, and he never texts back (to save 25 cents probably). When he talks on that Tracfone, he never goes longer than 2 minutes.

12. He doesn’t want to replace his old problematic telephone. His parents retired it and he took over. It was probably made in the 80’s.

13. He doesn’t turn on his air conditioner when it is 103 degree. He hides in the basement until it cools down late in the evening.

14. His old, dirty, broken, second hand car has many problems, and he says he won’t retire it until it falls apart.

15. He put a lot of effort to collect the free fire woods for the winters.

16. He wears old worn out clothes in public sometimes. Most of his clothes are free.

17. He wishes that she can share the $5 parking fee.

18. He wants her to take her car and let her drive for the other half of the route, 10-20miles.

19. He was unhappy because he spent $10 on a newly released movie in theater.

20. He never donates a cent to anything.

I guess this is the end of the list. LOL.

Remember, he earns 100k a year, and he has no one to take care of except himself.

IT IS MISERABLE when all these things happen on one same guy!
You are with this guy?

If so, why?

Frankly I very puzzled how someone like this can be in a relationship.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:57 PM

289 posts, read 396,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Edit: Is it bad I don't see anything inherently wrong with any of these characteristics? The fact that he doesn't have a cell phone just means he is more connected to the here and now. Who knows, maybe he enjoys being "unplugged" from the fast paced world we are all stuck in. At least he isn't trying to buy the latest and greatest toys.

I can see how it would be hard to financially build a life if you wanted to marry or seriously date said man, but perhaps that could change?

Meh.

I also know plenty of people who have no cable/internet. Heck, I was just without it for two weeks when I moved into my new place. I read three books and slept like a baby most nights.
I didn't really see anything wrong either. Certain things seem extreme, but I know a lot of people who live the opposite way with no regard for what they can afford.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:59 PM

14 posts, read 37,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
. Again, I know plenty of people who live that way.
I had never had anyone like this in my life before. I think he is "exceptional" with ALL of those "qualities".

Old 03-09-2013, 05:02 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
Would you be complaining if this same guy was on the path of early retirement in a year or two and had the financial ability to do pretty much anything he pleased?

I personally don't see a problem with a number of items on this list, but I was raised to be frugal and do so by choice.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:07 PM

14 posts, read 37,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
You are with this guy?

If so, why?

Frankly I very puzzled how someone like this can be in a relationship.
No. That is why I am not in a relationship with him. Anyone like that is not attractive at all, whether as a friend, a boy friend or a husband.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:08 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
I don't know if it's a coincidence, but everyone I have known that was super frugal happened to also be very unattractive. Hmmm
Might speak more about you than about those people.

Some of these numbers aren't all that bad. Some of them are one-sided and reads as if the guy is selfish and not returning the favor for a meal/tickets or something.

If the OP is in a one-sided relationship like this one, yes they should talk to the guy and discuss why he is this way and why he won't at least pay for some dates to reciprocate.

And he probably has a way of entertaining himself that you're just not OK with because I'm pretty positive every person on the planet has some kind of hobby that they enjoy and derive entertainment from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships