Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:08 AM

20 posts, read 38,038 times

Advertisements

Really?

A straw man argument if I ever heard one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Guess I should get rid of this one family member I've got .... he takes quite an assortment of drugs to be around us. Maybe I'd be doing him a favor ..... anyone want an Aspereger's child with ADHD and sensory integration disorder? Strongly suggets he be an only child.

I strongly believe plenty of others people have already done this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 01:00 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLee1980 View Post
Really?

A straw man argument if I ever heard one.
From one of your earlier posts ...." I can tell you from personal experience that anyone who keeps an animal that a child is allergic to (depending on the degree), is negatively affecting that child. "

There have been negative effects on the siblings from my ADHD/Asperger's/sensory integration child's presence. Since negative effects are to be avoided (according to some), why is my suggestion a straw man?

Old 03-15-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLee1980 View Post

To the other posters, I was that kid who had allergies and didn't want to get rid of the pet. My parents didn't and I never knew what it was like to breathe clearly until I was an adult and moved out. When I was a kid, I literally thought that was normal and that it was normal to have green mucus (I always did, so why wouldn't it be normal).
So it would seem breathing clearly wasn't working out terribly well either, as you reverted right back to the situation you grew up with, which was terrible.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:56 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Brat cat first, then a man. If man no likey brat cat, he get none of my cat.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:41 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Just to reiterate, the issue isn't about pets, it's about her and her parents wanting to live in their city, if not the same house. You're apparently the roadblock to this happening. Pets were just the excuse for divorce.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:05 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Yeah...Just bail. I can't imagine how you could ever have children with all your angst over the animals and the things you listed that irk you.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:16 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
I wonder if you have worked something out with your wife? I wish you good luck.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:27 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Yup. Said it in other threads and people bashed me for it. I want to know what I'm getting myself into before I make the biggest life-choice I'll ever make.
Well there's still no guarantee 20 years down the line love. People change and grow apart all the time after many years together. I don't think pets should come before a spouses health, but the op knew what he was getting into from the beginning. My husband wasn't an animal person when we met but he also didn't have health issues regarding pets. If he had then his well being would come before my pets. It would be very sad to see a marriage end over a cat.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
It would be very sad to see a marriage end over a cat.
I think there is much more going on here than a cat.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 594 times
I am dealing with the same thing, except I'm not allergic to my wife's cats. I didn't think it would be a problem that she had cats. I had owned several cats and considered myself a cat person. Only, my cats were outdoor cats, not indoors. Big difference. Her cats didn't bother me much at first. But after awhile, say 3 months, they started to really grate on my nerves. One throws up all over the house and the other one meows incessantly. Both shed ridiculously. Which is a big problem since I do all of the cleaning. I get furious every time I clean up all the fur all over everything. The one cat is very possessive of her and constantly demands her attention. We can't even have a conversation without the cat interrupting. This is the only thing we have ever fought over. Other than this, we have a perfect marriage. I'm not asking her to get rid of them, although I'd love to. All I'm asking is that she move them to our finished basement and out of the main part of the house. Then all the hair and meowing would be contained- far away from me. It's quite nice and comfortable down there, so her going down to visit with them would not be an issue. She just wants them up here with us, because "she loves them." I truly feel that she loves them more than she does me. If I owned animals that made her as miserable as hers make me, and if they were causing trouble in our marriage, I wouldn't hesitate to move them to the basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships