Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,589,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter1967 View Post
Well what you are describing is not "running a background check" in my opinion. That's stalking. You can run a background check and not make any note of where the person lives.
In order to be fair, if somebody run a background check on ME, it would be NICE that he let me know afterward, so I can dump him right away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
"You can get killed walking your doggie!" - Vincent Hanna "Heat"

Old 03-14-2013, 08:09 PM

146 posts, read 244,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
In order to be fair, if somebody run a background check on ME, it would be NICE that he let me know afterward, so I can dump him right away!
Like I said I think it's totally different if a man runs one. For women I think it's a safety issue. For men not so much.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
well, you just mentioned that you want YOUR daughter to run the background check on a man before meeting him. Right? You did say that, correct?
What will you be thinking if somebody did a background check on YOUR daughter and show up in front of your house?

Many people, men and women using background check to find the stranger's address. Finding address is their only intention. Two men did background check on me wanted to find out where I live, finding where I live is THEIR ONLY purpose.

How many people do you believe are ex-cons on dating site? 90% , just for the record yes I do know the definition of ex-con. I can almost guarantee you that a person who has several restraining orders put on him will NOT use his real name on dating site. Do you really believe a man who is a registered sex offender or a married man will use his real name on dating site? I don't know who is being naive here.
You didn't specify on a dating site. I've never used a dating site. People on there may use fake names as a practice, and not give their actual names until they actually feel comfortable. I was just talking about normal dating situation where you meet someone at a bar, at work, or elsewhere. I'm saying in those cases I don't think ex-cons use fake names all the time.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Like I said I think it's totally different if a man runs one. For women I think it's a safety issue. For men not so much.
No, I wouldn't want any of my single male family members or guy friends to run into somebody like glenn close's character in fatal attraction.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
You didn't specify on a dating site. I've never used a dating site. People on there may use fake names as a practice, and not give their actual names until they actually feel comfortable. I was just talking about normal dating situation where you meet someone at a bar, at work, or elsewhere. I'm saying in those cases I don't think ex-cons use fake names all the time.
Maybe I should have made myself clear. I was talking about the people I met on the dating sites.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
well, you just mentioned that you want YOUR daughter to run the background check on a man before meeting him. Right? You did say that, correct?
What will you be thinking if somebody did a background check on YOUR daughter and show up in front of your house?

Many people, men and women using background check to find the stranger's address. Finding address is their only intention. Two men did background check on me wanted to find out where I live, finding where I live is THEIR ONLY purpose.

How many people do you believe are ex-cons on dating site? 90% , just for the record yes I do know the definition of ex-con. I can almost guarantee you that a person who has several restraining orders put on him will NOT use his real name on dating site. Do you really believe a man who is a registered sex offender or a married man will use his real name on dating site? I don't know who is being naive here.
Once again a "background check" is not intended to find out where someone lives. It's to CHECK THEIR BACKGROUND. So if my daughter did a background check on a guy she was thinking of dating I would hope she would not even look or make note of the information regarding where he lived. I would hope she would be looking for personal information that might disuade her from going out with him. And hopefully nothing would come up.

So yes I would be upset if the man did a check on my daughter and showed up at her house. However if he told my daughter he did a background check on her because the last girl he dated was a drug user and had several drug arrests and he was not aware of them so he ran a background check on my daugher, then no I would not be offended. Nor would I be offended if a woman did that to me.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Once again a "background check" is not intended to find out where someone lives. It's to CHECK THEIR BACKGROUND. So if my daughter did a background check on a guy she was thinking of dating I would hope she would not even look or make note of the information regarding where he lived. I would hope she would be looking for personal information that might disuade her from going out with him. And hopefully nothing would come up.

So yes I would be upset if the man did a check on my daughter and showed up at her house. However if he told my daughter he did a background check on her because the last girl he dated was a drug user and had several drug arrests and he was not aware of them so he ran a background check on my daugher, then no I would not be offended. Nor would I be offended if a woman did that to me.
Well, if a man tells me he is going to run a background check on me, I would not be upset as long as he gives me a good reason. However, he would have to allow me to run a background check on him as well.

However, if he did a background check on me without me knowing it, I would be totally upset because I would be thinking he

A. is a potential stalker
B. bas poor boundary issue
C. is overly suspicious, paranoid

Without open communication, mutual respect, this relationship is already doomed.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:46 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
I wouldn't care. But I wouldn't want the person having access to my SSN or something of that nature.

There is this man in my town who had his engagement listed in the newspaper a few years back. He is in his 30s now. When we were in HS this man (18 at the time) was involved in a gang rape of a 15/16 year old girl (she was an acquaintance). I'm guessing anyone local knows his name and the 3 other guys involved too. The woman he married is from clear across the country and I looked at that article and said: "Wonder if she knows his story?" If she does, hats off to her. But how many men do you know are going to tell you they're a registered sex offender who took part in a HS gang rape simply because you asked? Get real. If you don't look into what a person has been doing with their life (yes you can ask them but so what) don't cry when you get conned.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:01 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,769 times
I'd probably ask them for my credit score. No need for two of us to pay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships