Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:17 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,812,479 times

Advertisements

I am not American, so suggesting moving to California or SF is not really helpful I live in rural Portugal, which is decades behind California in such regards...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I've been a strict vegetarian for the last 13 years of my life; no meat at all, which includes fish, shellfish, poultry... I have no idea why people think that what used to be an animal isn't meat somehow), and a fairly low amount of dairy, too. I cook my own food most of the time and prefer to use fresh, whole ingredients.

I tried yoga once with an ex; didn't like it. I'm totally nonreligious and don't view any of those new age spiritualities as being any more or less valid than traditional ones. I'm currently wearing a pair of Levi's, a black t-shirt with the Cadillac logo on it, and a pair of Dr. Marten's 10-holes. I lift weights and ride a bike extensively, and drink those crazy blood-doping nitric oxide/caffiene/creatune/etc supplements. I drive a heavily-built sports car and work on engines. I play guitar and tend to err on the side of psychobilly and metal. I drink my beer from the bottle. Excepting my liberal politics and natural artistic talents, I hit many markers of the classic, red-blooded American male.

I just find the thought of eating the flesh of another living creature to be abhorrent. The animals that we raise to kill have by and large been bred over thousands of years to be stupid, complicit, and devoid of natural instincts, but that doesn't change the fact that you have to take its life to eat it; something I'm totally not okay with.

All that addressed...

I've dated more non-vegetarians than vegetarians, and have never been in a long-term relationship with a vegetarian. Now, this said, nearly every woman I've been with has gone vegetarian when I'm with her for at least some degree of time, because they try my cooking and I take them to good vegetarian/vegan restaurants. They realize that generally speaking, 90% of the foods you crave aren't because of the meat in them, it's the sauces, spices, and textures, most of which can indeed be had without eating meat.

You can meet other vegetarians online pretty easily if you don't have a variety of vegetarian restaurants or meetup groups around you.
Good post
Same here, I am a normal guy, atheist, non-hippie, quite old-fashioned in some respects, actually...

Old 03-17-2013, 04:23 PM

Just a reminder in view of some posts: this thread is NOT about why people are vegetarian or not, whether it makes sense to be vegetarian or not, etc. For people wanting to discuss vegetarianism as such, I guess there are several threads on that already...

Old 03-17-2013, 04:27 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,584,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am not American, so suggesting moving to California or SF is not really helpful I live in rural Portugal, which is decades behind California in such regards...
We all were really just trying to be helpful and I think that most of the suggestions were being made on the assumption that you live in the U.S.

I am not sure what you could do to meet more vegans considering your remote location in Portugal but the suggestion to move to a more metropolitan area (in Europe) would be the most effective. Or you could relax your standards a bit. Would you be opposed to a relationship with a pescetarian?

Old 03-17-2013, 04:33 PM

19,975 posts, read 30,332,184 times
wear a t-shirt with a huge carrot on it- "me and my carrot love vegans"

Old 03-17-2013, 04:39 PM

Being pescetarian would make sense in Portugal, but to me that is not an option, animal is animal. It's like asking a Muslim to believe in some Hindu deity as well I never understood those types of vegetarianism with exceptions, frankly...
Yes, I guess I will have to move away from here, hopefully I will soon be able to

Old 03-17-2013, 04:53 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,554,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, why do people assume vegetarian = new age candle hippy yoga sitar type?
Because vegetarianism is a Hindu thing, and first entered Western culture in a big way through those attracted to Eastern spiritual stuff, yoga (a Hindu religious practice), and sitar music is definitely Indian and associated with the same thing. Since that was its sort of point of origin in this culture, it's rightly associated with those things.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:57 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,369,345 times
umm....

Heading to a steakhouse right away...

Old 03-17-2013, 04:58 PM

The vast majority of vegetarians in the West have no interest in or knowledge of India these days.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 PM

151 posts, read 221,101 times
Move to a big metro area and visit the indian or vegeterian restaurants.
If you live in a small town? there are probably no vegeterians in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships