Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 08:01 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,488,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sometimes I think meeting a vegetarian spouse is more difficult than meeting a gay spouse these days

Especially in some countries where there are very few vegetarians. Gays usually know where other gays hang out, and sometimes you know just from the way someone behaves But with vegetarians, you can't tell, unless you happen to have lunch together, i.e. you probably already know that person to a certain extent.

I live in a small town, I don't know any vegetarians here, actually I don't know a single vegetarian in this entire country. Most homes seem to have permanent BBQs built into their homes or gardens and people here eat almost anything that moves

So how does one get to know vegetarians (assuming there are any) without forcing it. I mean, just because I am vegetarian doesn't mean I like someone else just because they are vegetarian as well (so forget about those message boards where a few vegetarians exchange soy recipes ).

By the way, yes, I am rather intolerant towards people eating animals. So I could never be together with a person that is not vegetarian as well (out of conviction, not to do me a favor). Else of course my question would be obsolete...
I'm sorry, but even a lot of vegetarian will avoid you once they find out this issue is such a deal breaker. Trying to control what your partner eats, valuing that more than the some total of who they are, suggests and extremely intolerant, controlling personality. They're going to wonder what else about them you are going to end up trying to control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 08:15 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,888,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
for the most part of human history we've been hunter gatherers, if somewhere along the way - we were all vegans, we never would have made it...
ever met an innuit/eskimo vegan?
Although I'm not vegan, I'm half Sami/Lapp and quarter Inuit...

Quote:
I no longer go the the food and drink threads, because every other thread was dumping on meat consumption

if the vegans want us to be open minded about their food choices, then leave ours the he11 alone too...

with all due respect, of course
In all truth, I've heard gotten more flack from non-vegetarians for not eating meat than I did from vegetarians for eating meat. And, incidentally, most of the people I knew in high school and college who were up-in-arms about vegetarianism and veganism are now the sort of moron hipsters who won't shut up about how cool bacon is.

The vast, vast bulk of vegetarians or vegans don't get in anyone's faces about their dietary habits because ultimately, they view them as a personal choice. Because of this, you'd never know that they're actually vegetarian. Most people are absolutely shocked to find out I am and often think I'm joking.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:21 PM

12,969 posts, read 13,706,326 times
When ever you are at a banquet , or party and casual food is being served look for the person who is not eating meat. The operative word is eating. I'm am a vegetarian / flexitarian but I've been known to put meat on my plate only to throw it away as not not to seem out of place.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:38 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,182,127 times
To catch a vegetarian ya gotta think like a vegetarian. Where would veg girls hang out? Well other than the yoga clubs mentioned above, I'd think they'd be helping critters - maybe in an animal shelter, maybe in a veterinarian's place.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,346,330 times
Quote:
be a prius car salesman

work for any liberal democrat campaign

join PITA

volunteer to do some sampling at whole foods for a few hours on a saturday
PITA? There's an organization for Pains In The Ass?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:37 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,114,725 times
The way you word your thread and question leaves me wondering exactly what you mean by natural. You say, Quote: How do you meet vegetarians in a natural way? I don't know that there actually is a natural way. Personally I don't see anything natural about being a vegetarian. One of my grandson's is a vegetarian. His mother cooked his dinner separately from the rest of the family, and she expected people who asked them to dinner to cater to his wishes. I just stopped inviting any of their family to my home for dinner and that solved the problem. I don't have a problem with what he eats or how he eats it as long as it doesn't interfere with me. My own thoughts about this life style is: God wouldn't have made animals taste so good if he didn't want us to eat them.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:13 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,782,593 times
Quote:
for the most part of human history we've been hunter gatherers, if somewhere along the way - we were all vegans, we never would have made it...
ever met an innuit/eskimo vegan?

I no longer go the the food and drink threads, because every other thread was dumping on meat consumption

if the vegans want us to be open minded about their food choices, then leave ours the he11 alone too...

with all due respect, of course
Well, the thing is, when there were no animals, people had to live on what they gathered. Just because we are omnivores, does not mean we have to eat animals.
Nor do I want to lead the primitive life typical of traditional Eskimos.

Why do you complain about us not leaving you alone when it is you that is in a vegetarian thread that is obviously not geared at meat-eaters?

Old 03-18-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I'm sorry, but even a lot of vegetarian will avoid you once they find out this issue is such a deal breaker. Trying to control what your partner eats, valuing that more than the some total of who they are, suggests and extremely intolerant, controlling personality. They're going to wonder what else about them you are going to end up trying to control.
I know a few vegetarians, none of them has avoided me since I got to know them many years ago.
Deal-breaker? Rightly so. Think of it this way: to many people much less important things such as smoking or body height are deal-breakers, why would I not insist on one thing that is really important to me?

Nor am I trying to control what they eat. As I have said earlier I do not want anyone that becomes vegetarian to do me a favor. I only want to get to know people that already are convinced vegetarians. I do not want to get to know meat-eaters and try to turn them into vegetarians. That is not my way. I don't care what other people do, but with the one person that is supposed to be closest to me, I cannot ignore that issue. In this respect I am intolerant if you wish, and proudly so.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
When ever you are at a banquet , or party and casual food is being served look for the person who is not eating meat. The operative word is eating. I'm am a vegetarian / flexitarian but I've been known to put meat on my plate only to throw it away as not not to seem out of place.
I would not do that, I would feel like the rest of my food is contaminated by liquid coming from the meat.

Just like believing Jews don't eat food that is not kosher in their view, which, let's face it, is also rather subjective. Still, nobody makes fun of Jews eating kosher food. Nobody says they are intolerant. Why is that?

Old 03-18-2013, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
The way you word your thread and question leaves me wondering exactly what you mean by natural. You say, Quote: How do you meet vegetarians in a natural way? I don't know that there actually is a natural way. Personally I don't see anything natural about being a vegetarian. One of my grandson's is a vegetarian. His mother cooked his dinner separately from the rest of the family, and she expected people who asked them to dinner to cater to his wishes. I just stopped inviting any of their family to my home for dinner and that solved the problem. I don't have a problem with what he eats or how he eats it as long as it doesn't interfere with me. My own thoughts about this life style is: God wouldn't have made animals taste so good if he didn't want us to eat them.
No, that is not what I mean. By natural I exclude for instance vegetarian dating sites. Not because of the vegetarian thingy, but because I dislike dating sites, which in my view are unnatural. It's like buying furniture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships