Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 04:41 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,515,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Nope. You're under the impression they're exclusive, OP stated they're not.

OP - this is exactly what you signed up for. What did you expect out of an open relationship?

She owes you absolutely nothing, because you agreed you weren't worth setting terms for.

Stop fooling yourself. If you want to be a priority, then you need to renegotiate the relationship. Pretending someone is your GF and making extravagant plans for them, is kind of foolish in my view.

Exactly!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 04:58 PM

551 posts, read 1,122,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stwdar87 View Post
I made a mistake and read a text message on a girl I have been seeing for three years, phone. We had made plans to spend the evening together at a hotel that night. Dinner, dancing, etc. While out that night, she asked me to use her phone to call a cab. I got nosy and looked at the text message screen while on hold. I came across a text message from her, to another guy. She sent it 3 hours after we had made plans, asking another guy to hang out that same night. I was VERY upset, still am. She says, she did nothing wrong because the other guy didn't respond and she didn't cancel on me....and that I am the only one at fault here, for being nosy. I feel like it WAS a mistake to look at the message, however am still very hurt that she was TRYING to stand me up. Am I wrong for being upset????
You're not in the wrong, she's seeing other options so screw her. Those 3 years meant nothing to her then.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,728,378 times
Question..... Would she find anything equally as offensive, if she looked at your phone? I'm assuming that you didn't try to make other plans with someone, after making them with her...but ever anything similar, that she wouldn't approve of?

On the direct matter at hand.... yeah, you probably shouldn't have snooped on her phone, especially since you two are not in an exclusive relationship. I'll tell ya though..you can't unsee what you've already seen and that was a sh*tty thing for her to do! Good grief, who DOES something like that? You make a date (a fancy one at that) with someone, then you try to set up a date with someone else! Good grief!

Old 03-20-2013, 05:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
I made a mistake and read a text message on a girl I have been seeing for three years, phone. We had made plans to spend the evening together at a hotel that night. Dinner, dancing, etc. While out that night, she asked me to use her phone to call a cab. I got nosy and looked at the text message screen while on hold. I came across a text message from her, to another guy. She sent it 3 hours after we had made plans, asking another guy to hang out that same night. I was VERY upset, still am. She says, she did nothing wrong because the other guy didn't respond and she didn't cancel on me....and that I am the only one at fault here, for being nosy. I feel like it WAS a mistake to look at the message, however am still very hurt that she was TRYING to stand me up. Am I wrong for being upset????
She is looking for a replacement.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:13 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,032,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Nope. You're under the impression they're exclusive, OP stated they're not.

OP - this is exactly what you signed up for. What did you expect out of an open relationship?

She owes you absolutely nothing, because you agreed you weren't worth setting terms for.

Stop fooling yourself. If you want to be a priority, then you need to renegotiate the relationship. Pretending someone is your GF and making extravagant plans for them, is kind of foolish in my view.
The OP made the post where he clarified their relationship as "open" as I was writing my post, so I had no way of knowing.

However, even not being exclusive, she's still a B in my book for making such elaborate plans with the OP, then actively seeking out a way to break them and get with another guy. Nothing wrong with her dating around in this situation, but she should have tried to line this other dude up for the next night when she didn't have plans.

And my advice still stands. Either get rid of her completely, or stay in this "open" relationship and give her nothing but sex -- and only on the nights you don't have other chicks lined up.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,516 times
All comments appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
All great advice. Thank you. I guess I just needed affirmation that I am not the only A-hole in the equation. We do have an 'open' relationship at this point....I guess I was just upset that she, after three years...thought so little of me and our plans that she would try to find a better plan 'a'.
This tells you a lot about where you stand with her.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartinNY View Post
You're not in the wrong, she's seeing other options so screw her. Those 3 years meant nothing to her then.
He is wrong, because he knows they are not exclusive...which means, other dates besides him (and other dates for him besides her).

Where do people make the leap that because she is going out with other people, she's dying to screw them all? Or any of them? Just curious.

But anyway, that question aside, they are not exclusive so no, she's not wrong to go on other dates.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
All great advice. Thank you. I guess I just needed affirmation that I am not the only A-hole in the equation. We do have an 'open' relationship at this point....I guess I was just upset that she, after three years...thought so little of me and our plans that she would try to find a better plan 'a'.
I personally feel this is an assumption too...maybe she texted the other guy in case you bugged out? Once again, you're not exclusive -- could she have felt you might not actually go, and she really wanted to go out for her own reasons? (I have had bad days I don't like to remember, say, the anniversary of someone's death when I absolutely knew I didn't want to be at home stewing, a dramatic example but the first one that came to mind.)

She knows you could be setting up other dates too.

You're making a lot of assumptions. You're very hurt but you don't know you're correct on all of these assumptions.

Bottom line: if you don't want to date other people and don't want her to, you really should talk to her about that.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:44 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
You have an open relationship. This is just a case of you thinking you were up higher in the pecking order. Your not. When seeing a bunch of people this is bound to happen here and there.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships