Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

NEWSFLASH, MEN!!!!!

I am not looking at you. I could give a flying crap about YOU.
I am looking at your car. Because I love cars. I have my own $$$ and my own fancy cars and my own ability to buy whatever car.

I have seen the same Ferraris, Lambos, R8s, Maseratis, and Maybachs around here a TON of times, and except for the lady in the fur coat and turban (noticed this because it was the middle of JULY), I have not one clue what any of the people driving these cars looked like.

I think guys seriously overestimate how much interest they are generating with their cars. I have NEVER heard a single woman I know say something about how attractive a guy was because of his car.

Now if it's a run-down beater with trash inside it, THAT is a different story. My parents keep their cars for years...like 10-20 years. And no matter how old the cars were, they never looked like crap. That's just pride in ownership and not being a lazy ****. So don't give me some dumb excuse about how you're not materialistic and only golddiggers care if you car looks nice. If my parents can keep a 1983 Honda Prelude and a 1987 Plymouth Voyager not looking like crap (while raising 2 children and 2 dogs in them!), it's the least you can do, too.

Sorry about the last rant. But people are effin' disgusting with what they do to their cars and trashing the inside. It's just gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 11:28 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,013,276 times
I drive what I want and ask no ones permission, what someone else thinks of me or the car is not my concern. Man or woman.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post

Even when substance matters over style, we are all in the business of branding/marketing ourselves when it comes to attracting the opposite sex, whether we like it or not... don't you think?
Nope.
Don't care.
It's my life, and I'm spending it making ME happy. Not trying to impress people who don't matter.
My wife, parents, brothers, kid, dogs, friends...they don't care what I wear or drive or whatever.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:31 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Nope.
Don't care.
It's my life, and I'm spending it making ME happy. Not trying to impress people who don't matter.
My wife, parents, brothers, kid, dogs, friends...they don't care what I wear or drive or whatever.
Dude, you're married. Game Over.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
LOL!
This is related to another thread, but the things I thought I owned that would impress people didn't make one bit of difference when it came to attracting women.
Good, down-to-earth, intelligent, serious women (the ones who make the best mates)...they are NOT looking at your stuff. It took till I was 25 to figure that out, but it sure taught me a good lesson.

If someone is with you or initially attracted to you because of some crap you have, dump 'em.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,359,889 times
Quote:

What are you implying? I'm quite certain he held the same view prior to marriage. Some of us do not need a certain type of vehicle to feel confident...we just are...and if we choose to splurge on a luxury vehicle, its simply for our own selfish reasons...and not because we want to impress a woman

Old 03-23-2013, 11:36 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
So the other day I was stuck in traffic but was checking out the new Porsche Boxter next to me (wow). As it pulled into the next ATM and the guy got out, I noticed the woman in the car next to me was checking out the guy all the way.

I own two cars, one is a high end sport car that gets lots of attention and the other is a 2003 Toyota Tacoma that I use to as a utility car. Lately I've been debating replacing the truck with a Range Rover Sport, e.g., do I really want another car payment, do I really want another car that boozes on gas (10mpg!), but then I say it will pull my boat easier, nicer to drive, and it's a chick magnet. lol I also now live in Southern California where there are more luxury cars on the freeway than I've ever seen elsewhere, along with more of these type of cars on the used car lots.

Anyway, since this is an anonymous forum, it would be interesting to hear opinions, especially from women, about what is a guy's car says about him, if anything. May help some decide whether to do an upgrade, but I know there are a lot of wealthy guys who are frugal and will never get rid of that 1980s Volvo til the day they die.

P.S.: Okay to throw in comments about the Range Rover Sport since I'm interested.
What a car says about a guy? I think guys think about this a lot more than women do. But then, you're in LA, I've heard it's different down there.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:36 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,359,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
LOL!
This is related to another thread, but the things I thought I owned that would impress people didn't make one bit of difference when it came to attracting women.
Good, down-to-earth, intelligent, serious women (the ones who make the best mates)...they are NOT looking at your stuff. It took till I was 25 to figure that out, but it sure taught me a good lesson.

If someone is with you or initially attracted to you because of some crap you have, dump 'em.
Preach!!!

Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
So the other day I was stuck in traffic but was checking out the new Porsche Boxter next to me (wow). As it pulled into the next ATM and the guy got out, I noticed the woman in the car next to me was checking out the guy all the way.

I own two cars, one is a high end sport car that gets lots of attention and the other is a 2003 Toyota Tacoma that I use to as a utility car. Lately I've been debating replacing the truck with a Range Rover Sport, e.g., do I really want another car payment, do I really want another car that boozes on gas (10mpg!), but then I say it will pull my boat easier, nicer to drive, and it's a chick magnet. lol I also now live in Southern California where there are more luxury cars on the freeway than I've ever seen elsewhere, along with more of these type of cars on the used car lots.

Anyway, since this is an anonymous forum, it would be interesting to hear opinions, especially from women, about what is a guy's car says about him, if anything. May help some decide whether to do an upgrade, but I know there are a lot of wealthy guys who are frugal and will never get rid of that 1980s Volvo til the day they die.

P.S.: Okay to throw in comments about the Range Rover Sport since I'm interested.

Good move to look at the RR Sport, though. If you get a supercharged one, it's beastly. Although some of the options like heated seats are optional on the Sport, instead of standard on the bigger model, you'll save at least 20k on the RR Sport.

Everyone is going to stereotype you in one way or another, so get (or don't get) the car that you want. The last thing you should consider is someone else's opinion. My belief is, if someone isn't paying your car note, then their opinion on you or your car is irrelevant.

But if you're driving something flashy, you're going to look like a money bag as your vehicle looks like a Brinks truck to them.

If you aren't driving something flashy, you aren't going to garner any attention from anyone, but you won't have as much driving it as you would a flashier car.

So in either situation, it's a win/lose, win/lose

I think someone earlier hit the nail on the head: the car doesn't make the person at all. Someone driving a Accord could be one of the nicest, sweetest, most caring individual who's much more financially responsible than the guy driving a Maserati, who's a selfish douche with insecurity issues.

Think about how many people drive nice cars, but don't live in quality houses or areas (or at home), and think of the people driving Camry's yet are going home to a 650k house. Obviously, neither of these are absolutes, but there are many cases of this.

If a woman looks at you and wants you because of the car you drive, then slam on the gas pedal. An expensive, fancy car doesn't mean success, because having a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean overall success, nor is it the only indicator of great success.

And this is coming from someone who loves foreign cars.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:41 AM

968 posts, read 1,138,598 times
Quote:

1) '02 Ford F-250 Super Duty, 4x4 off road, 8' long bed, super cab, 7.3L Power Stroke diesel V8, 4 speed auto.

2) 1965 Mustang Fastback, K-code 289 V8, 4 speed manual.

7.3 Powerstroke - 120HP Race Tune - YouTube

K-Code Fastback Mustang Test Drive - YouTube

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships