Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:40 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,174,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
So the other day I was stuck in traffic but was checking out the new Porsche Boxter next to me (wow). As it pulled into the next ATM and the guy got out, I noticed the woman in the car next to me was checking out the guy all the way.

I own two cars, one is a high end sport car that gets lots of attention and the other is a 2003 Toyota Tacoma that I use to as a utility car. Lately I've been debating replacing the truck with a Range Rover Sport, e.g., do I really want another car payment, do I really want another car that boozes on gas (10mpg!), but then I say it will pull my boat easier, nicer to drive, and it's a chick magnet. lol I also now live in Southern California where there are more luxury cars on the freeway than I've ever seen elsewhere, along with more of these type of cars on the used car lots.

Anyway, since this is an anonymous forum, it would be interesting to hear opinions, especially from women, about what is a guy's car says about him, if anything. May help some decide whether to do an upgrade, but I know there are a lot of wealthy guys who are frugal and will never get rid of that 1980s Volvo til the day they die.

P.S.: Okay to throw in comments about the Range Rover Sport since I'm interested.
Lmao! Your funny…
Yes “nice” cars are good to look at and nicer to drive in however…and this is a BIG however…It does not matter if the car is a corvette, Ferrari, Benz or BMW…If a man is not attractive? I do not care what he drives…

My ex just bought a nice Mustang GT…expensive rims, fully loaded…
He sent me a pic and asked me if I wanted a ride to lunch…
I told him to stop sending me pics of himself AS well as his car, that the car itself was nice but look at who was behind the wheel…NO THANKS..

A VEHICLE that is nice will always get attention especially as you stated in Cali..especially on the 405..or DTL or Hollyweird…
But if the man behind the wheel is a complete troll? Good luck with that…
I mean there are shallow women everywhere so it might work but you need to know the lure Is an expensive vehicle that shouts “I make money”

The Rover…I like it but it is a huge gas hog much like the Hummer..
My take on these vehicles is not the fact that someone can afford to buy one or put gas in it because they make good money…
IMO? When I see these vehicle on the road I feel embarrassed for them with the gas prices as they are now…wow!! How audacious..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 02:35 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,697,954 times
Also I can't think of one reason why I would want a Range Rover let alone a Range Rover Sport. That vehicle doesn't have a single quality about it which makes it worth my money.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:44 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
LOTS of women are under the impression that a guy with lots of money to throw into his car that is trying to impress girls is trying to "compensate" for something, if you get my drift.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:06 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,777,024 times
More important is who is driving it. No, really. When I was 16, a creepy guy in a nice mustang was following me so now I hate mustangs. I actually find this car obsession guys have to be annoying. I mean, some cars are cool, like the bat mobile or an Audi. But I hate when guys use their shiny car to show off.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times
Just buy what YOU like and want to drive. If it's a Range Rover, then get it. If it's a Prius, then get it. You can't please everyone.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
one of my best rides was a bmx mountain bike with a card in the spokes....i looked cool in that!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:52 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,599,226 times
Any guy who blows money on a fancy car because he wants to try and "impress" some women is a fool. The few women he does impress are probably not worth dating anyway. Many women (and probably many guys too) would either (a) not give him or his car a second thought and forget about him within 5 seconds, (b) shake their heads in disbelief, or (c) laugh at the moron and mock and ridicule him behind his back.

Many people of all ages and both genders appreciate a nice style...but it's far more important to them that the car is reliable, clean, practical and have a reasonable TCO. It's simply a utility to them. If the car is bland or boring-looking, but is reliable/etc...it's gonna sell very well. (I dunno about ugly cars though...I don't see too many late-model Acuras on the road.)

Like others said, buy a car (even a nice one) for yourself...because you like it. And of course make sure you can afford it and can still live within your means. I say this as someone who owns a nicer-than-average car.

The same holds true for clothes. It's silly to make a beeline for high-end designer brands just to impress some woman.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 AM

832 posts, read 1,418,305 times
Quote:
So the other day I was stuck in traffic but was checking out the new Porsche Boxter next to me (wow). As it pulled into the next ATM and the guy got out, I noticed the woman in the car next to me was checking out the guy all the way.

I own two cars, one is a high end sport car that gets lots of attention and the other is a 2003 Toyota Tacoma that I use to as a utility car. Lately I've been debating replacing the truck with a Range Rover Sport, e.g., do I really want another car payment, do I really want another car that boozes on gas (10mpg!), but then I say it will pull my boat easier, nicer to drive, and it's a chick magnet. lol I also now live in Southern California where there are more luxury cars on the freeway than I've ever seen elsewhere, along with more of these type of cars on the used car lots.

Anyway, since this is an anonymous forum, it would be interesting to hear opinions, especially from women, about what is a guy's car says about him, if anything. May help some decide whether to do an upgrade, but I know there are a lot of wealthy guys who are frugal and will never get rid of that 1980s Volvo til the day they die.

P.S.: Okay to throw in comments about the Range Rover Sport since I'm interested.
As much as I hate to admit it, a car can be interpreted as saying something about yourself. And although I no longer live in SoCal, I guess I'll make a list of the standard cars and what I thought about the driver. Keeping in mind all the cars I babble about are well maintained since it's SoCal.

1. A late model silver BMW is either a teen who saved and works on his own car or an early 20 something who works on his own car because he's already married with kids.

2. A silver BMW less than 15 years old but older than 5 was driven by an early 20's male in an entry level STEM job.

3. A black BMW was by far, the most common car on the road and usually driven by late 20's/early 30's men who have made it past the entry level stage.

4. Silver and beige Mercedes are driven by elderly people. (In fact, any beige car seems to be driven by an old person)

5. Black Mercedes are driven by 50 something males still working, but close to pre-retirement and the most rude on the road.

6. Anything like your Tacoma (if in mint condition) was driven by people who are hiding as middle class. When the usual reality was they're actually middle upper or upper class. Or they had children and family. Any Tacoma or similar vehicle that was beat up, was used by the working class, as was its intended use.

7. Small Range Rovers (usually black) were driven by someone who was upper class but living in the burbs because they have children and the Rover was a way to balance the needs of both the family life and the man who wants to show the world he has "made it".

8. Large range rovers were driven by large men in professional sports and 40 something men who needed something to spend their money on.

Porches seemed to be pretty common (especially yellow), so I didn't think much of them. Lamborghini's were cool to see because they weren't that common. As were other European high end sports cars. But that's because they usually came in cool colors and have some unique quality with how they operate. Like the doors or what have you. The closer you get to LA hills, the more foreign and flashy the cars got. I found this to be pretty funny. Not that I know what they were mind you, but they were still cool to see.

One car that I was impressed with was the Maybach because it had the umbrella thing in the driver door. I only saw a few of those. One was used by some old super rich guy who like to flash it and annoy people by blocking parking lot passage by insisting on valet parking, where there was none. And then he'd take a half hour to hobble out of his car. The other two were driven by professional athletes and they were used just for cruising and getting into the undergrounds by illegally parking in front of them, from what I saw. So they don't exactly leave me wanting to see more...

If the Tacoma meets your needs, I don't see any viable reason to ditch it. Not only do you incur additional payments, but you also have a substantial increase in your insurance rates. Though you might recoup that with gas mileage savings, if you use your SUV a lot. If you only use it on the weekends for the boat, I see no gain and you can continue using the sports car to pick up chicks.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:35 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
If the Tacoma meets your needs, I don't see any viable reason to ditch it. Not only do you incur additional payments, but you also have a substantial increase in your insurance rates. Though you might recoup that with gas mileage savings, if you use your SUV a lot. If you only use it on the weekends for the boat, I see no gain and you can continue using the sports car to pick up chicks.

That about sums it up for me. And in addition to a Range Rover thread I posted in the automotive forum, I'm surprised those cars are so popular with their poor maintenance and reliability reputation.

By the way, it's also surprising how emotionally charged ppl reacted to this topic. Like I said before, whether you like it or not, the car you drive does make an impression on others, just like the clothes you wear. May not make a difference to you what other ppl think, but it is an image you project... good, bad, or otherwise. Thanks for your comments.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:48 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
it is an image you project...
Wrong.
It is an image that is projected up you.

A simple, yet important, distinction.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships