Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:41 PM

469 posts, read 567,042 times

Advertisements

Researchers seem to be coming to a consensus lately that for humans, much like it is for other mammals, sticking with just one partner for life may not be natural. But whether or not it's possible is another story entirely. In several of the closest species of animals to humans, one study found that 80 percent of animals were polyamorous, or had multiple partners, in their lives. Overall, just 3 to 5 percent of animals chose one mate for life. That doesn't mean people shouldn't strive to be monogamous, necessarily; it just means it's difficult. More than half of American marriages end in divorce, and many spouses will admit to infidelity, albeit confidentially. Some figures find that the rate of cheating among spouses is as high as 60 percent. The manner in which different cultures view polyamory is worth examining when trying to answer the question of whether or not it's possible to be monogamous.

According to Dr. Helen Fisher, the biological anthropologist, there is an ancient human tendency to partner and re-partner, which she calls the “four year itch.” A long time ago, it was assumed that if a child lived to see age four, he or she would survive. The biological parents were then free to move on to new sexual adventures, and the child would be passed on to the group, at which time the “it takes a village” mentality would kick in. This dates back millions of years to a time when men and women were equal on many different levels —economically, socially and sexually. Some gathered, some hunted, but there’s one thing they all did, rather frequently, too —they had sex. They had to! How else could the human race survive and thrive? The only way to secure the future was to have lots and lots of sex, with lots and lots of different partners. But, Dr. Fisher also believes in free will. We may be programmed to do this, but it does not mean we have to. That’s the crux of it. Isn’t it better to focus our energy, love, and bodies on the partner with whom we chose to make a home and a family?

Esther Perel, author of “Mating in Captivity” explained the psychology behind it all. Very often, men and women have affairs because they have lost something or someone in the previous year or two. Perhaps someone close to them died, or left home, or they lost a job. Even more profound, Esther has found that women especially can feel as though they’ve lost a part of themselves, and by having an affair, they can reclaim it. Interestingly enough, people usually don’t have affairs because they no longer love their partners. People who identify as polyamorous typically reject the view that sexual and relational exclusivity are necessary for deep, committed, long-term loving relationships. Those who are open to, or emotionally suited for, polyamory may embark on a polyamorous relationship when single or already in a monogamous or open relationship. Sex is not necessarily a primary focus in polyamorous relationships, which commonly consist of people seeking to build long-term relationships with more than one person on mutually agreeable grounds, with sex as only one aspect of their relationships. In practice, polyamorous relationships are highly varied and individualized according to those participating. For many, such relationships are ideally built upon values of trust, loyalty, the negotiation of boundaries, and comparison, as well as overcoming jealousy, possessiveness, and the rejection of restrictive cultural standards. Powerful intimate bonding among three or more persons may occur. The skills and attitudes needed to manage polyamorous relationships add challenges that are not often found in the traditional "dating-and-marriage" model of long-term relationships. Polyamory may require a more fluid and flexible approach to love relationship, and yet operate on a complex system of boundaries or rules. Additionally, participants in a polyamorous relationship may not have, nor expect their partners to have, preconceptions as to the duration of the relationship, in contrast to monogamous marriages where a lifelong union is generally the goal. However, polyamorous relationships can and do last many years. So may I ask you what is your view on unhappy marriages would you throw it all way and divorce or do you think you could have a polyamorous relationship? How about if you could find someone else to fill in the blanks what if your spouse is everything you want except a good communicator , sexual, housekeeper, travels a lot , whatever is missing in your almost perfect mate or if your mate could fill in the blanks you don't have? Could you, would you, have you consider this life style? Do you think if we as Americans adapted more to this lifestyle we would have less divorce and happier relationships?

Last edited by Mikala43; 04-25-2013 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Paragraphs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 04:43 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,685,151 times
I would rather cheat than adopt a polyamorous lifestyle. I can't love more than one person, but I can shag more than one. Furthermore I think the idea that infidelity=divorce is short sighted.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I would rather cheat than adopt a polyamorous lifestyle. I can't love more than one person, but I can shag more than one.
LoL okay what if your partner no longer enjoys sex and lets say you love baseball and concerts but its a no go for your partner. what if your partner agreed. You could Find another to shag, go to baseball games ,and go out to concerts with this other person would you do it, do you think you'd bond with that person?

Old 04-25-2013, 04:53 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,685,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyself73 View Post
LoL okay what if your partner no longer enjoys sex and lets say you love baseball and concerts but its a no go for your partner. what if your partner agreed. You could Find another to shag, go to baseball games ,and go out to concerts with this other person would you do it, do you think you'd bond with that person?
Honestly I would just F the other person and leave it at that, no concerts etc. No bonding either. I can barely bond with 1 person, let alone 2. I can go to concerts with friends and family.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:05 PM

Okay that's beyond honest and yeah if that works for you. Honestly I see a lot of friends,coworkers, neighbors divorcing and yet I wonder if maybe if they had an agreement to find someone to fill in the missing peaces if they could still keep all the great things they have together?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:49 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,506,791 times
If the marriage is unhappy, I'd end it. I don't need to be unhappy with someone when I could be happy by myself.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,651,067 times
I can't imagine being with 2 people at once... just the thought of being with one person is exhausting to me.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 PM

I'm thinking more along the lines of mostly a good relationship but not completely satisfied life women not wanting to have sex or men not wanting to be romantic what if you could have 2 options for your needs to be met

Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,480,856 times
Quote:
I'm thinking more along the lines of mostly a good relationship ... what if you could have 2 options for your needs to be met
That could work for me. I've been in poly and open relationships, so I know it can work. It's very difficult to find one truly compatible partner, never mind two or more. However, it does happen.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,833,503 times
Quote:
Okay that's beyond honest and yeah if that works for you. Honestly I see a lot of friends,coworkers, neighbors divorcing and yet I wonder if maybe if they had an agreement to find someone to fill in the missing peaces if they could still keep all the great things they have together?
People who are empty of soul will never find enough "missing pieces" to fill that void. This thread is disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships