Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 03:48 PM

647 posts, read 1,523,600 times

Advertisements

I was arguing this with a friend earlier and using it as yet another excuse as to why I'm single, but I think it's the best excuse. It seems like girls like to brag to their friends about what their boyfriend has going for them. In my case I don't really have much going for me, I don't make six figures and have some cool job, I'm not a musician, I'm not a cop or a fighter.

Anyone agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 03:53 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
I was arguing this with a friend earlier and using it as yet another excuse as to why I'm single, but I think it's the best excuse. It seems like girls like to brag to their friends about what their boyfriend has going for them. In my case I don't really have much going for me, I don't make six figures and have some cool job, I'm not a musician, I'm not a cop or a fighter.

Anyone agree?
No. When I dated my husband, he didn't have something I could brag about to my friends. He was a college student working in a grocery store without a driver's license, living with his parents. Most of our marriage, aside from being an awesome husband, I haven't had things to brag about him. He's got things to brag about now. But that took nearly ten years and I wasn't counting on it.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:02 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:

Anyone agree?
No, I don't agree. It sounds like you're fishing for excuses as to why girls aren't going for you, and you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. None of my women friends have ever bragged about their guy at any age, or even talked much about him. That's a cliche, and doesn't hold for all women. There could be a million reasons why you're not able to get a gf, or no reason in particular. It's rare that people click. It's hard to find a match.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:32 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:

Anyone agree?
Not Necessarily, but it wouldn't hurt your chances.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:46 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,499 times
Quote:
Anyone agree?
I would imagine somebody will, it is however, not I...

Old 05-25-2013, 05:02 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,024 times
Quote:
It seems like girls like to brag to their friends about what their boyfriend has going for them.
As a rule of thumb, yes, this is true. Are there exceptions? Yes. There are men that prefer obese women to women built and looking like Halle Berry too. But the exceptions are not the rules.

Within the life sciences it's pretty much accepted, in terms of Sexual Selection, that females are in general the most discriminating between the two sexes. This concept among the general public remains largely on par with the time when mankind was adamant the earth was the center of the unversed and the sun revolved around it. In both instances countering this common "wisdom" will get you hated and reviled.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:37 PM

111 posts, read 223,690 times
It doesn't matter to me whether someone has a "cool" job, because it matters a lot more whether I enjoy being around them.

However, it does bother me when men are self-conscious and insecure about stuff like this, because it makes me wonder why he thinks I would care, as if he expects me to automatically care about status that much. It's kind of like when men describe themselves as "just an average guy." Okay, most people are "average" in some sense because we can't all be geniuses, models and astronauts, but it's just such a dull way to talk about yourself.

There are women who care about this stuff a lot, but if you approach every woman thinking "Oh, she'll just turn me down because I don't 'have anything going for me' it's going to be obvious.

In some ways, this is the female equivalent of men who reject perfectly attractive, pleasant women for not being "10s."

Old 05-25-2013, 05:37 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,998,293 times
Oh, good lord.

Your problem, I think, is that you imagine women want sex less then men do. So you come up with this ridiculously arcane explanation for why women date.

All women look for is someone who smells right and is not an ass. And yes, that is very difficult to find.

Just read a PUA site and then do the exact opposite of everything they say, and you will be fine.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:00 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
As a rule of thumb, yes, this is true. Are there exceptions? Yes. There are men that prefer obese women to women built and looking like Halle Berry too. But the exceptions are not the rules.

Within the life sciences it's pretty much accepted, in terms of Sexual Selection, that females are in general the most discriminating between the two sexes. This concept among the general public remains largely on par with the time when mankind was adamant the earth was the center of the unversed and the sun revolved around it. In both instances countering this common "wisdom" will get you hated and reviled.
It's not the 1950's. Last I checked, 40% of couples have the woman as the bread winner. It makes sense that women are still hard wired to expect men to at least have some prospects. Unemployed, living in your parents basement gaming all day every day, isn't going to get you dates. But you don't have to have something to brag about. Minimum standards change with age. Under 25, be in college or have a job that can pay rent. Over 25, be working. 30-35 if you haven't moved out of your parents house by now, you really should. But none of these minimum standards are things to brag about. It's just the LEAST you could do unless you go for a woman enough years younger than you or desperate enough that her standards are even lower than that.

Women's minimum standards may vary, but most women don't expect bragging rights from a man to date him.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:27 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,300,531 times
If a woman likes a man enough she will find things about him to brag about. It doesn't have to be looks or money or fame or a fortuitous anatomical anomaly. It can be his cooking, his sincerity, his sense of humor, or even his patience. Women don't pick someone so that they can brag about them, they pick someone for their own reasons then brag about their good qualities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships