Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:39 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,602,406 times

Advertisements

#1. Do they even actually date anymore? It seems nearly every couple I know just hooked up after a party a few times, then when straight to "official" status and being on the couch together watching netflix all the damn time. What happened to romance? What happened the game? I mean granted, these people don't have the money to go anywhere fancy, but even the movies or a reasonably priced sushi joint seems to exciting for them, it's literally just casual hookups >>> boring couple.

#2. So there have been a few threads about women pursuing men. I think this is really becoming the case in this demographic, probably because women are starting to really outnumber men in college. Sometimes I even think its becoming the norm. We live in interesting times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 11:59 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,287 times
How old exactly are you?

I'm 25 so feel pretty justified to make a response.

My guy friends and girl friends love to date. My current gf, I was friends with her step dad, and he set me up with her. Our first time meeting was with her family and going to their pool. That night we went out to a pretty nice dinner.

A month later we went to San Antonio and stayed in a nice hotel on the riverwalk and had a nice weekend getaway.

4 Months after starting to date we flew 1500 miles to meet my family.

She is 19, and like I said, I'm 25. We go out to dinner probably once a week. We go to movies together a couple times a month. We go on "dates" all the time.

I've been doing stuff like this with girls I was dating since I was 18. When I was 18 years old my gf and I took a nice vacation to Chicago for a weekend. Next gf I seriously dated we flew to San Francisco for a vacation when I was like 22?

A friend from Singapore came to visit me for week and we went on "dates" about every night she visited and did a little weekend getaway before she left.

There's are just a very very select few examples. I could go on 10x that much. At one point I was going on so many dates it was getting expensive. I literally boycotted taking any girl to dinner or spending any money on a girl for like 4-6 months.

What I'm getting at is for a lot of normal people your theory is pretty much off. All of my guy friends are the same way. We love dating and actually getting out and doing things. Granted my gf and I now have been together over a year so we really only go out once or twice a week and do stuff on the weekends, most our weeknights are spent cooking every night and watching movies, and going to the gym together.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:05 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Yeah they're not so romantic. I just somberly watch the going's on.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:10 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
#1. Do they even actually date anymore? It seems nearly every couple I know just hooked up after a party a few times, then when straight to "official" status and being on the couch together watching netflix all the damn time. What happened to romance? What happened the game? I mean granted, these people don't have the money to go anywhere fancy, but even the movies or a reasonably priced sushi joint seems to exciting for them, it's literally just casual hookups >>> boring couple.
well, I guess boring people are those that enjoy too much comfort.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:23 PM

Older people often turn numb, so I rely on the younger folks to be romantic, but they don't always do that because they may be neurotic or in a rush, and that makes me sad.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:53 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,740 times
To OP, here's my take on it. If you try to have normal way of dating (normal to what I thought it should have been, getting to know each other and so on), you're basically going to be pulled by your nose until you dump the person away.
This is how it generally goes - girls generally want to hang around, they want to show you off to their friends and stuff, it's important to say that she's dating and stuff like that. She doesn't bother much to make something out of it.

Well, that's because girls see SEX as their investment, and it seems so obvious. I've seen it many times, like, you date them for several dates and their "little game" makes them confused because you're not into sex. Then they go like whatever. If they want to keep you, they'll even outright suggest it with their actions that they are ready to have sex with you after you make it clear that you're breaking up.
Well, this is generally why dating SUCKS in the United States. In fact, if you want to date someone, your best bet is to deliberately push for sex and have sex as long as it lasts - if you're that type. Otherwise you're wasting your energy, effort, money and time in finding a profile of a girl who's probably either sitting home or is very rare.
This whole dating in the U.S. revolves around bedding the woman indeed. Otherwise she considers as if you're not even dating yet, even if she likes you and has went outside with you for a full month.

In my opinion, this really demands you to deliberately demand sex or dump a woman within a few dates. It's because of this very thinking that women have, and then the women are forced to go along with it for every date as a general rule, since that's how the most guys operate. Any guy who doesn't go this way and wants to date in the United States is generally wasting time or is a masochist. Any girl who doesn't go this way is generally setting a path to lots of frustrations.
This is exactly why guys are increasingly just hanging around for a while and hitting on everyone just to "score" and why girls act the way they act. This stupidity is very present but the attitudes of the dating scene are literally driving out anyone who doesn't go with such logic. I've been very happy to tell you that there are few girls who don't go the way I told you, but majority of girls does that. Same goes for the guys who date, majority does exactly what I described.

That being said, I don't think that this behavior is a behavior of someone whom you'd want to have a long term/permanent relationship anyways, which further contributes to volatility in family units in the USA.
My honest opinion.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:44 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,607,414 times
According to some CDR posters, most women in their early 20s look for LTR, Marriage, children and to settle down. yeah right. LMAO

Old 06-28-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
According to some CDR posters, most women in their early 20s look for LTR, Marriage, children and to settle down. yeah right. LMAO
That happened to/with me, so I'm sure it does with other women too. Maybe not all.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:01 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post

It was odd, I always heard this. When I was in my 20's and dating, I thought men wanted the hell away from things like this, so as a woman who also wanted the hell away from things like this, I thought I was good to go. But turns out every man I dated wanted this within 6 months of the first date! Some even sooner, yikes. I think it was the town...

Old 06-28-2013, 02:06 PM

52,285 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Hook up culture.

Seems to be the order of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships