Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:49 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times

Advertisements

This is my first thread made here, based on an idea that is many years older than this website. Actually it predates adulthood, so you can guess my past experience. This is my first time giving the idea a large audience. I hope for constructive feedback and for anyone who likes the idea to spread it elsewhere.

Simply, many couples who have minors should be required to go to at least a little joint counseling before divorce is granted (unless they want to wait years for finalization). If neither wants to go to counseling, if there's clear physical abuse, if there has been joint counseling recently, etc., then no - but for the rest, yes. As far as I know, it isn't required anywhere - why not? The idea sounds great to me. Fleshing it out, government could subsidize for low-income people, therapists could offer discounts for the first few visits (teaser for future business and passion about saving families), couples could choose who they want to consult, therapists obviously firstly would focus on saving marriages but if that's not working, advice on how to split amicably and how to minimize damage to the children and each other could become the focus. I think the 'threat' of required counseling could make some people go even before they're ready for divorce, which would have a better chance of fixing situations. Ideally the concept would be tested in a few places first and phased in with divorce counseling first strongly recommended rather than required for anyone. I'm not a big fan of therapy, but dang it, people should be very interested in this idea.

I await some replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Maybe counseling before getting married is an even better idea!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:07 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Maybe counseling before getting married is an even better idea!
This should be mandatory, IMO.

As for your idea, OP, many states require separate educational sessions before a divorce is granted, and many couples do try joint counseling (but I don't know if any states require it).

Old 07-01-2013, 08:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
They've had pre-divorce counseling available for years.

Here is one example:

Counseling Pre or Post divorce Can Help You Sort out Difficult Issues

The "threat" of counseling?

I get what you're saying about requiring it. But the whole point of therapy is that you have to WANT to do it. Paying for it isn't always the roadblock. Forcing someone to go is.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Many states are already discussing this issue and are attempting to get some mandatory counseling required prior to divorce.

I'm with knowftbll, PRE-marriage counseling might be a better idea

Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
there should be a "relationship boot camp" requirement

some guys/gals never ever been in a relationship,,then all the sudden they are married....living together,,,,,most havent even dealt with the ghosts of the past..let alone,,deal with compromise, appeasement, isolation, maturity with someone else..

sometimes a first marriage turns into the dysfunctional leechfield you grew up with,..

relationship skills...... you should have woman teaching men,,and men teaching the woman,,straight talk- show videos of men being verbally abusive,,,woman being control freaks,,,
if you grew up with this crap,,,then you never knew it was so wrong..

Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
I think counseling should be required for couples that want to marry, but I don't see society as ready to embrace that, so let's leave that out of this discussion.

As for states' policies, I'm glad to hear the world isn't as stupid as I thought. How do required educational sessions differ from counseling? What states require that or already are pondering an idea like mine?

Old 07-02-2013, 05:46 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
What states require that or already are pondering an idea like mine?
Try google. You'll get a more comprehensive answer.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:08 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,629 times
On paper, I'm sure it sounds smart to some people. In reality, I don't think it would avoid a single divorce.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:22 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
On paper, I'm sure it sounds smart to some people. In reality, I don't think it would avoid a single divorce.
Agree.

If people WANT to go to counseling, they will. If they don't, forcing them to do it is not going to be productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships