Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 AM

373 posts, read 644,214 times

Advertisements

I really need to get over being insecure but I do not know how to go about it.

Background: I have lived with bf for 5 years. We have a 2 1/2 year old together but we are not married.

A year into our relationship, I came home to the house ransacked, him and my truck gone. He shacked up with some chick across the country.

A few months later he wanted to come home we did marriage counseling and worked through all that and eventually I let him come home.

Four years later and I still have fears of him leaving me again. I also get pissed off whenever he has some random new woman friend on Facebook. Now he tells me he has no idea who they are and he just accepts anyone that requests to be his friend. He does not physically do anything to make me feel suspicious he is doing anything with them.

How do you get over feeling insecure? Would having his commitment of marriage make me feel less insecure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
Question is...is he/the relationship making you insecure? Or were you insecure before the relationship?

If its the ladder, you need counseling solo.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 AM

No, I do not think I was insecure before our relationship. My ex husband was always out doing stuff and talking to whoever and I never once wanted to check his phone. I ended up being lonely because I seemed to always sit around waiting for him to come home, but never felt like I was going to be left for another woman.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
No, I do not think I was insecure before our relationship. My ex husband was always out doing stuff and talking to whoever and I never once wanted to check his phone. I ended up being lonely because I seemed to always sit around waiting for him to come home, but never felt like I was going to be left for another woman.
Are you comfortable with the idea of being alone? Without a man?

I found that once you are perfectly comfortable with yourself and being alone, all insecurities seem to fall by the wayside.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 AM

I do ok alone when bf is away on extended trips for work. So I think I would survive being alone emotionally. I do prefer the company of someone, if that makes sense.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:56 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,679,521 times
Marriage counseling when you aren't even married? Why did you get pregnant so soon after he ditched you for another woman? I think you feel insecure because this relationship is doomed and you know it.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
I do ok alone when bf is away on extended trips for work. So I think I would survive being alone emotionally. I do prefer the company of someone, if that makes sense.
Survive and being perfectly comfortable are two different things.

If he isn't consciously working to fix the problem he caused I would let him go. Is there a reason why you stayed with him after he cheated on you?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:04 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Why would your insecurity go away if he's a cheater? (he is)

Maybe, like, 10 years from now it will go away but that would only happen if he never, I mean NEVER, made a misstep like flirting with other females or making dubious "friends", but that doesn't appear to be happening. Facebook will not help your relationship. I suggest you both close your accounts. A counselor would even tell you to do that if you went to couples counseling (I've heard this from my friends).

Old 05-03-2013, 09:16 AM

87 posts, read 147,382 times
Not only did he cheat, but he stole your truck to do so and seemed to have cleared the apartment as well. I think you feel insecure because you have reasons to be (in this relationship). I don't know how one would get over that sort of treatement, and I am not even sure one should!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 AM

So I am not wrong to feel insecure? He keeps telling me I am being crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships