Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:02 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,479,158 times

Advertisements

Two people entering marriage are seldom equals in what they bring or contribute later, yet the law treats them as equal partners when exiting. Mainly, this is to simplify things for the courts, but it leads to unfair outcomes at least some of the time. No fault divorce simplifies divorce for everyone, but is hardly fair when there is fault - there is the perception (and sometimes the reality) that cheaters and others prosper.

Marriage is a risky business, and should be entered into accordingly. Overall, I'm in favor of marriage, and I'm in favor of prenups to go along with that.

Last edited by TaoistDude; 07-29-2013 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 12:18 PM

29,753 posts, read 34,434,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Marriage is a risky business, and should be entered into accordingly. Overally, I'm in favor of marriage, and I'm in favor of prenups to go along with that.
Totally agree. But I think many of the guys who take lists like in the OP to heart have a problem realizing that a bad marriage and a nasty divorce aren't something that just happens. You make choices all down the line.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 PM

470 posts, read 1,163,324 times
The only one that really matters is #1..The rest of them are just pros of being single.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,756,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_fly_12 View Post
So, while I have my opinion of this advice column ... What do you all think?

8 Reasons For Staying Single - AskMen
the article itself is "blah", just detailing a distorted view of the "pros" of single life, without any of the cons. The items seem reasonable, until you start reading his explanations why, and you realize he has no business offering advice to anyone.

Now, the author himself is the author of this book: Sex-Ploytation: How Women Use Their Bodies to Extort Money from Men by Matthew Fitzgerald - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

...which suggests to me that he is having a rough go of this whole self-promoted social media/journalist career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The article on a surface level sounds ok, but if you actually read between the lines, it sounds like a 15 yr old wrote it.
exactly

Last edited by le roi; 07-29-2013 at 01:00 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 12:47 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think the first reason is excellent. I think most of the other reasons are out of sync with number one - because the point of number one is that you should take your time to find the right person. And then most of the other reasons are really only applicable to having a relationship with the wrong person. At least, that's my take on it. Personally, I think everyone should wait to settle down until they find the right person - if that's what they are looking for.
I agree that No. 1 is a good reason. The others either contradict each other or are just nonsense.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:50 PM

470 posts, read 1,163,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I agree that No. 1 is a good reason. The others either contradict each other or are just nonsense.
They are just pros of being single, how big of a pro depends on each individual.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:53 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
For the people who say this won't matter if you find a good woman, I guarantee you that you don't have a high success rate at guessing which women are good women and more importantly which ones will stay as good women 10, 15, 20 years down the line. No one can predict the future.
Then don't get married. It's not a big deal.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:56 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,736,876 times
Cool down you traditionalists. The 8 reasons for staying single are, in my experience, often a default for who have failed at not being single. Reason #4 is purely wishful thinking. Your daughters (and sons) are safe; your values are safe.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoodsyall View Post
They are just pros of being single, how big of a pro depends on each individual.
No, they're not pros of being single. For example, (no. 5 and no. 7) couples generate more wealth than do single people and have more assets. So, I don't see how that's a pro of being single. Married people also have greater professional/career success than do single people. Also, if you are going to focus on your career I'm not sure how partying is going to coincide with that. So, no. 2 & 3 contradict each other. The sexual smorgasbord is just funny (try reading this forum). I think 1 and 8 are realistic.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Cool down you traditionalists. The 8 reasons for staying single are, in my experience, often a default for who have failed at not being single. Reason #4 is purely wishful thinking. Your daughters (and sons) are safe; your values are safe.
Get real. Don't get me wrong, I spent my 20s having a good time, but there's a time limit on it. As people age they are simply not going to have the same options, so staying single for that reason is nonsensical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships