Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 08:49 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
Depends on the travel. First-class airfare and five-star hotels/restaurants? No. Come to think of it, f*ck no. Unless you're paying.

Week at my family cabin, fishing, swimming, boating and barbecuing/grilling? Let's go! Priceline has cheap air fares, car rentals and there's no rent to stay there, just leave it like you found it.

But it's true of both genders. All want to get above their raisin' unless they were born with silver spoons and trust funds. But yeah, the whole "do you like to travel?" strikes me as massive, blatant gold-digging, regardless the gender.

It's gold digging to say this now?

I have been to Alaska is a very interesting conversation piece especially to my local Pa's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 08:56 AM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Or maybe the question means something else that I am unaware of? Women tend to ask "do you like to travel?"

is there a guy out there that would really say No? LOL Or are they asking for some other reason? My answer has been

"Sure If I have the time and money". Someone help me please lol
Only upstanding and honest men if they truly do not like to travel.
Personally, it's okay on rare occasions but I'd rather spend my entertainment dollars on evenings out, especially live concerts at small venues. That's probably a turn-off to some but that is my honest answer. I won't lie in order to impress someone under any circumstance. My conscience would bother me if I did that. By the way your question is worded it you are expecting men to lie and that is just wrong.

Nothing wrong with your answer, OP, as long as that is how you truly feel.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post

It's gold digging to say this now?

I have been to Alaska is a very interesting conversation piece especially to my local Pa's.
That's where I met my husband!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:41 AM

647 posts, read 1,217,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
No I wasn't stressed just that so many women ask that question and I thought that everyone loves to travel if they have the TIME and MONEY
Its just a common question that comes up on dates. Sometimes it comes up as a space-filler. Nothing much.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
That's where I met my husband!
Oh very cool! I love that the kids were wearing shorts in August and we were all bundled up.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Oh very cool! I love that the kids were wearing shorts in August and we were all bundled up.
When we met - it was September and it was actually pretty nice out! We were also there in January one time - and as long as we kept every single piece of skin covered - we were alright!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:56 AM

647 posts, read 1,217,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I know someone's who's traveled all over the world and says USA has the best food in the world.

I agree with others that you can't really get the full feel of a culture, which is more than food, from a transplanted situation.
I've traveled through much of the US, western Europe, East Asia, Southeast Asia and Australia. USA has the best food in the world.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
When we met - it was September and it was actually pretty nice out! We were also there in January one time - and as long as we kept every single piece of skin covered - we were alright!
It was on a cruise ship and yes it was warmer inland. When we went on the glaciers we really bundled up. I was the crazy teen that hopped over the cracks. Then the tour guide yelled uh that's a 25 drop if you fall in! Scared the crap out of me. Lol

Old 07-28-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I've traveled through much of the US, western Europe, East Asia, Southeast Asia and Australia. USA has the best food in the world.
I don't know if I would necessarily agree. I think we have the most variety - but I've had amazing meals in other countries that I know I will never have the chance to eat again unless I go back there. I'm not saying that we don't have the best food - I just don't think that I would say any place has the best food. There are so many amazing places to eat out there all over the world.

Quote:
It was on a cruise ship and yes it was warmer inland. When we went on the glaciers we really bundled up. I was the crazy teen that hopped over the cracks. Then the tour guide yelled uh that's a 25 drop if you fall in! Scared the crap out of me. Lol

I spent the most time in Anchorage - around 2 or 3 weeks. We also spent a couple days at Mt. McKinley. It was gorgeous!!!

Old 07-28-2013, 10:05 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I know I give you a hard time sometimes, but this response is genuine:

I think one of your problems is that you tend to look at they entire world through your own eyes, your own filters. I sincerely know it is very difficult to let one's own biases take a rest (for me too!), but try to realize that every opinion, every thought, and every perception you have is clouded by your own values and personal experience. This is true of everyone, not just you.

As it applies to almost ALL of your threads, and "stresses", if you can just kick back and try to forget your own influences, the world can really be amazing. It took me a lot of time to figure this out, and I still work on it, but most things are pretty fluid, and more importantly, people have reasons for why they do what they do. I believe the overwhelming majority have good intent, or at least they DO NOT have bad intent.

Like the thread about "did you always want to do that career" (or whatever), it's just a question. Try to forget the hidden subtext, answer it truthfully, and let the cards fall where they may.

Most importantly, no matter what the reasons, or no matter weather you give the right answer or wrong, just be honest. If you are honest, and it leads to something good, it's genuine. If it's a dealbreaker, or otherwise runs someone off, then in the long run it's for the best. Might sting in the present, but overall it wasn't meant to be.

It takes a lot of work, but just try it.

Most sincerely,

Myghost.
I think that most of the questions is a clear indication that I am older and I don't want to accept it. It was a time that I was never asked questions about buying a home, marriage, my career goals and now have to realize that at my age these are the questions that will come up. So I have been having a hard time accepting that 1999 is gone forever and just have to learn how to adapt to how things are now and realize that these are the questions I will receive.

But I just always felt that during the phone stage of the getting to know process, it was just so much more to ask me instead of things about my job and living situation. I have come to point now that I don't want to ask a female about her job and where she lives because it may not matter in the long run. So the only thing we should be discussing is light topics until we meet face to face and see that it's a mutual attraction and then we can get into the heavy stuff like job, living situation.

I just have a hard time talking to someone who is asking me what I do for a living the first 5 mins of the conversation because it gives off a judgmental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships