Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 07:05 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'm sure I'll never like them. In addition to my personal dislike for them, they & people who have them are portrayed in society as unprofessional, seedy, slubbornly & not upscale, etc. I know tons of people have them, but still. If tattoos are so "great", why do workplaces want you to cover them up, wear long sleevs, etc.? Because of the reasons I stated: Not making a good impression, unprofessional, etc. I don't care how many people have them, I do not like them. There's a certain stigma that goes along with them. It's like mohawks. I hate them too by the way.
You know I've been getting to know a friend whose supervisor actually wants her to show her tattoos with clients in the office. In her line of work, web design, creativity is a plus.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:08 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, back in the day, before popular culture media glamorized this kind of behavior with "reality shows" like Miami Ink, etc., the only people who had tattoos were military men, criminals, degenerates and circus freaks. For a lot of people, the tattooed fall into one of these four categories.

What can I say? Michael E Campbell , Springfield MO - SpringfieldMugshots.com

20yrsinBranson
Yes. I got my tattoos because of Miami Ink and reality shows. Yep. That's exactly what prompted me to get them.

Except for the fact that I received my first tattoo years before that show premiered or was even a twinkle in some producers eye. In fact, me and the few tattooed people I do know HATE those shows and HATE what they've done to the profession. My tattoo artist basically had a meltdown when they decided to have some reality tv show contest for tattoo artists. Most people don't think those shows have had any positive impact at all on the industry or the people who are tattooed themselves.

Well...there's also the fact that I haven't owned a tv in nearly 10 years so the stuff I do watch I have to seek out specifically on hulu/netflix etc.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
You know I've been getting to know a friend whose supervisor actually wants her to show her tattoos with clients in the office. In her line of work, web design, creativity is a plus.
This is an excellent point... I've actually talked to executives and managers/supervisors for the big commercial airlines and they all seemed really happy that I was tattooed. One told me that their company has a reputation as being 'old and stodgy' and having someone who can appeal to a younger demographic would be beneficial for them in the long run.

Who knew my tattoos could actually HELP more than they hinder?

Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 PM

12,780 posts, read 14,996,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Right, depends on what creative field you're in. I would automatically assume that the more creative field one is in, the more tattoos would be accepted.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:38 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
Tattoos are fashionable.

Tattoos are also permanent.

Most tattoos started off as works of art, but fade and blur over the years until you have a blue smudge of varying sizes.

In future, young people will laugh at the old groovers who have proof they were fashion victims.

Barbed wire around the bicep = early 90s wannabe hipster
Celtic symbols = late 90s wannabe hipster
Asian characters = early 2000's wannabe hipster
Gothic writing = white supremacist wannabe hipster (any generation)
Italic writing = late 2000s wannabe hipster or America's top model wannabe hipster.

It's like buying a pair of shoes and superglueing them to your feet, you assume you will never ever need or want another pair of shoes no matter how tatty the originals get or how the fashions change.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Tattoos are fashionable.

Tattoos are also permanent.

Most tattoos started off as works of art, but fade and blur over the years until you have a blue smudge of varying sizes.

In future, young people will laugh at the old groovers who have proof they were fashion victims.

Barbed wire around the bicep = early 90s wannabe hipster
Celtic symbols = late 90s wannabe hipster
Asian characters = early 2000's wannabe hipster
Gothic writing = white supremacist wannabe hipster (any generation)
Italic writing = late 2000s wannabe hipster or America's top model wannabe hipster.

It's like buying a pair of shoes and superglueing them to your feet, you assume you will never ever need or want another pair of shoes no matter how tatty the originals get or how the fashions change.
Disagree. All of my tattoos are drawn, redrawn and completely original. None of them are cliches and all of them are works of art.

The reason so many 'old timers' tattoos are faded and blurred is because of the low quality ink, the low quality machines used and the lack of knowledge regarding skin care. The ink used now is of excellent quality and the techniques and machines used are far superior than they were even 10 years ago. My oldest tattoo is 11 years old and I still get asked if it's new.

As for the 'young people laughing at the old groovers', bring it on! I didn't get my tattoos to impress a bunch of young kids, I got them because I wanted them. I didn't get them to be 'in fashion' and I'm perfectly happy being out of fashion. In fact, I prefer it.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:48 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Disagree. All of my tattoos are drawn, redrawn and completely original. None of them are cliches and all of them are works of art.

The reason so many 'old timers' tattoos are faded and blurred is because of the low quality ink, the low quality machines used and the lack of knowledge regarding skin care. The ink used now is of excellent quality and the techniques and machines used are far superior than they were even 10 years ago. My oldest tattoo is 11 years old and I still get asked if it's new.

As for the 'young people laughing at the old groovers', bring it on! I didn't get my tattoos to impress a bunch of young kids, I got them because I wanted them. I didn't get them to be 'in fashion' and I'm perfectly happy being out of fashion. In fact, I prefer it.
Good for you, I wouldn't care either if I had decided to go that way. BUT -

11 years is a short time to have a tattoo.

Fast forward say, 30 or 35 years, you'll be an old lady with bingo wings.

Do you think the tattoo will still look as fresh and as lovely as it is now?

Skin thins and wrinkles, you know. It happens to everybody, and when it does, there goes your pretty picture.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:50 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
eh. I'll be one of the few people who doesn't have any tattoos on themselves, so if they do become odd shapes and random looking blotches of ink, I'll get a laugh out of them lol.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,475,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
What, you wouldn't like something like this?

Body Art Extreme body art 27

How closed-minded of you.

I kinda like the fangs, though. If they weren't out all the time, I mean. Gotta be careful about that. And two are enough.
That's exactly how my ex looks in my memories.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships