Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 10:50 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
"Wasted my eyesight".
What a stupid thing to say. Couple that with your oh so clever, "suck my d..k", and it's little wonder you can't get a date.
Women aren't into douchebaggery.
They aren't, but if you can disguise it with looks, most women won't catch on until the guy has already gotten what he came for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
They aren't, but if you can disguise it with looks, most women won't catch on until the guy has already gotten what he came for.
In which case it's no wonder the poster in question bats a consistent zero.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:43 AM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I couldn't disagree more with this. I've had a handful of bad dates that felt like job interviews, but for the most part I go on dates because they're fun. If it felt like applying for a job, I wouldn't do it.
Let me be more clear - when you get the date that is success.

But the process is just like sending her a cover letter and a resume. She makes the choice, just like the employer when deciding whether to hire you or not.
That goes even if she took out the ad.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:52 AM

50,797 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Let me be more clear - when you get the date that is success.

But the process is just like sending her a cover letter and a resume. She makes the choice, just like the employer when deciding whether to hire you or not.
That goes even if she took out the ad.
Did you not first scroll through pages of profiles, rejecting some women and choosing others to write to? What's the difference?

Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Did you not first scroll through pages of profiles, rejecting some women and choosing others to write to? What's the difference?
I quit sending applications out to women almost 2 years ago.

There is no difference. Just like one doesn't apply to every job they see advertised.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I quit sending applications out to women almost 2 years ago.

There is no difference. Just like one doesn't apply to every job they see advertised.

Okay, but you were making it sound like women were the only parties that get to make any choices in online dating.

I get that you've given up, but you really don't need to send a cover letter and resume if you decide to try again. My now-bf sent me one sentence, "Do you want to meet?" and I looked at his profile and answered "okay, what's your number?" and that was it. Is it possible that maybe your profile didn't show you in the best light, have negative things in it etc? To go back to your job app analogy, no one would put on their resume' "NO JOBS WITH BOSSES WHO PLAY HEAD GAMES!!!" and expect to be hired, but many seem to do this on online dating.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:15 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
You're creating an artificial distinction between "dating" and "online dating."
the distinction is not artificial.

"DATING" implies that someone is actually spending time with you and has met you face to face.

"ONLINE DATING" implies that you've signed up for a service on the internet, and may or may not be talking to people who may or may not be who they say they are, and who may or may not want to meet you. Successful ONLINE DATING leads to actual DATING.

Quote:
Dating is dating, regardless of how you meet.
Correct, and online dating is not dating.

The most obvious difference between dating and online dating is illustrated in this chart of who actually uses online dating. This was done in Seattle, a fairly progressive and tech-friendly city where the genders ought to be relatively equal in number, and you can see very clearly that women are not interested in online dating. The lack of interest from women relative to men is the reason why "ONLINE DATING" is not synonymous with "DATING."

So it's like I say -- Online dating didn't ruin dating for men, it simply confused them into expecting more from strangers on the internet than it is realistic to expect.

Last edited by le roi; 08-12-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-12-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Okay, but you were making it sound like women were the only parties that get to make any choices in online dating.

I get that you've given up, but you really don't need to send a cover letter and resume if you decide to try again. My now-bf sent me one sentence, "Do you want to meet?" and I looked at his profile and answered "okay, what's your number?" and that was it. Is it possible that maybe your profile didn't show you in the best light, have negative things in it etc? To go back to your job app analogy, no one would put on their resume' "NO JOBS WITH BOSSES WHO PLAY HEAD GAMES!!!" and expect to be hired, but many seem to do this on online dating.
That is extremely rare. Most one line responses from men get rejected and women do get a lot of these. The reason I know this is through a few back and forth conversations. It is also fact they get a lot more responses than men get. There is way too much competition, just like it is in the job market.

There was nothing wrong with my profile and it was well written.

With that last line it is apparent you are agreeing with me that online dating is a lot like a job application.
The indecision (game playing) on their part is the reason why I gave up. Plus, I don't beg and I thought that there were times where I may have crossed my own line.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
That is extremely rare. Most one line responses from men get rejected and women do get a lot of these. The reason I know this is through a few back and forth conversations. It is also fact they get a lot more responses than men get. There is way too much competition, just like it is in the job market.

There was nothing wrong with my profile and it was well written.

With that last line it is apparent you are agreeing with me that online dating is a lot like a job application.
The indecision (game playing) on their part is the reason why I gave up. Plus, I don't beg and I thought that there were times where I may have crossed my own line.
I do think it's a good analogy, with the exception that one gender has more power of choice than the other. The similarity between applying for a job and looking for a date online is that in both cases, a stranger is trying to show someone why they would be someone worth exploring. If not through a "resume" or profile as the case may be, how would you expect people to choose which strangers to meet?

I did not get a ton of responses after the initial "new meat" inundation that happens when women post a new profile. I was very specific about the kind of person I am and I was looking for and that narrowed my pool somewhat, but it didn't matter because online was one tool I was using, in addition to joining meetups and doing other real-life things. I did not invest emotionally in the process of online dating and didn't take any of it too personally, so wasn't all wrung out if someone did or didn't respond or work out. I think having a relaxed attitude about it is key to having a good online dating experience rather than a frustrating one.

In other words, who cares if there are more women then men or more men than women? Who cares if many women won't respond to short messages and only respond to long ones? You only need one in the end, right? I myself had guys disappear because I wouldn't send them endless pics (I had 5 recent pics on my profile, both close up and full body, that is enough IMO) or because I refused to do online chat, or engage in 3-page e-mails, or e-mail for weeks without an invitation to meet...so what? They just showed they weren't the right one for me, no reason to be angry or frustrated about it. I just kept doing what was right for ME, and not worrying about what other people were doing or what other people wanted or expected, and just kept plugging along until my honey found me.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-12-2013 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-12-2013, 10:14 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
In which case it's no wonder the poster in question bats a consistent zero.

Oh so you gloating this morning because you had a successful first date huh? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships