Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you settle (marry) Mr. or Ms. "Good Enough"?
Yes 17 41.46%
No 24 58.54%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:56 PM

306 posts, read 657,600 times

Advertisements

There was an book a while ago:
Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough: Lori Gottlieb: 0971485789561: Amazon.com: Books

directed towards women, but the author argues how "Good enough" can be better than risking a possible alternative - waiting too long and getting to a point where you spend the rest of your life alone and lonely.

I know a lot of women who will settle for Good Enough... because they want to further their objective of having children and being in a marriage knowing fully well that it *may* not be the best of matches, perhaps they even convince themselves that it is the perfect match because they are so desperate for marriage and a family...years down the road after the novelty of marriage and children have faded they exit out.

How about men? Are there men out there that will settle as well? Are you willing to settle for "good enough" IF by a certain age you cannot meet the perfect match or are you willing to wait it out forever?

A friend once told me about marriage - if you are 70% or more confident then go for it because you will never ever feel 100% confident... i'd like to think this is untrue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,502,545 times
Is this coming from a place where you're trying to decide whether to be honest with your GF that you're considering breaking it off? Or did you finally tell her the truth?

I don't think anyone should "settle" if that's the way they view what they're doing. However, if one has a reality check about unrealistic expectations (like the average-looking 40-something man who has held out for a young 20's gorgeous 10 out of 10 woman) then recognizing there can be value in a good partner who comes in a slightly different package could bring love and companionship. I think it's possible to be naive and think love is perfect, that there are never disagreements, that even when two people are "the one" for each other and love each other dearly, they still have to learn to compromise and work out differences. So if "good enough" means living with the great partner who loves you, makes your life joyous and tends to be moody on occasion, that seems like a pretty decent deal compared to being alone. No one is perfect and as you get older, you start to understand that.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
I didn't settle. I was 100% confident that my husband was the right one for me.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:13 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Of course going in, few would say, "Yes, I would settle!"

Sometimes, though, it's only with hindsight that you realize you did.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 PM

570 posts, read 721,826 times
No

Old 08-28-2013, 09:18 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times
Nope. Needs to be Mr. Perfect.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:18 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,167,710 times
No, it's a recipe for misery. If you don't want to settle, just date and enjoy the company of the opposite sex.

It would destroy my life if my SO decided to marry me because I was just "good enough". How heartbreaking.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:27 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Only losers settle

Old 08-28-2013, 09:43 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
There was an book a while ago:
Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough: Lori Gottlieb: 0971485789561: Amazon.com: Books

directed towards women, but the author argues how "Good enough" can be better than risking a possible alternative - waiting too long and getting to a point where you spend the rest of your life alone and lonely.

I know a lot of women who will settle for Good Enough... because they want to further their objective of having children and being in a marriage knowing fully well that it *may* not be the best of matches, perhaps they even convince themselves that it is the perfect match because they are so desperate for marriage and a family...years down the road after the novelty of marriage and children have faded they exit out.

How about men? Are there men out there that will settle as well? Are you willing to settle for "good enough" IF by a certain age you cannot meet the perfect match or are you willing to wait it out forever?

A friend once told me about marriage - if you are 70% or more confident then go for it because you will never ever feel 100% confident... i'd like to think this is untrue.
But In a certain sense, everyone has to settle for Good Enough.

The fact is, no two people on this earth are a perfect match for each other. No two people are 100% sexually compatible, no two people are 100% temperamentally compatible, no two people always agree on everything. Even people we love to death will anger, frustrate, and disappoint us at times. Younger people, in particular, often have this delusion that somewhere out there is someone perfect for them--i.e. The One. Well, I'm sorry, but the one is a myth. The One is a lit. There is no One.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:58 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Nope. Needs to be Mr. Perfect.
This I believe.

I read the book, and it was really good. I read it to understand better how women think. It was eye opening. The basic message was to give men more of a chance and don't be so quick to eliminate someone. I'm really drilling it down too much, but the author tries to get women to think differently. I thought it was well written. But it didn't give me much hope because it confirmed what I already knew about women and how they view men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships