Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:57 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. That's why I said "historically". Europeans and colonists of the Americas used to have 11 kids or more. That was before modern birth control. I've lived and worked in Latin America, and most families are small. They do use birth control. Latinos are (or were, before the recession) coming to the US for jobs, not because of overpopulation where they live.
And don't forget that many Latinos are also descendents of Europeans, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 09:57 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That goes strongly against the trending populations, considering the white population in USA is going down, the only reason the US population is going up is because of the Latinos. European countries are also on a downward trend.

The Latin American countries are the ones seeing a rise in populations. Even China is expected to see a huge population decrease over the next 20 years.
sounds like you haven't heard of population momentum. the population of china will continue to increase for the time being.

and fertility rates have been declining in latin america for some time. mexico's fertility rate will soon be below replacement level. brazil's TFR already is. but their populations will continue to increase because of population momentum.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:59 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
I'm not going to look up the rest, but there must be a connection with being very religious and refusing to use birth control.
Fundamentalist and evangelical Christians, Southern Baptists and some Protestants are "very religious", but use birth control. Many Catholics in Latin America are very religious, but use birth control. Hispanic Catholics in New Mexico are "very religious", and use birth control.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:00 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
You know, a lot of these women probably get that they aren't getting into a LTR.
Not every woman wants a LTR. Some women might just one a one-night stand. There is nothing wrong with that, either.
I get it, you see sex as something that should be an emotional connection. But not everyone feels that way, and just because they disagree doesn't make them "slimy", wrong, bad, immoral, etc.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 PM

337 posts, read 897,001 times
Quote:
Do you think there is anything inherently immoral about men trying to have sex with as many women as possible?
No

Old 09-08-2013, 10:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT98 View Post
Unless you get lucky and pick the Wilson CQB the first time instead of the RIA.

It happens, sometimes if you do plenty of research beforehand, you buy the best without getting many duds.
One in a million, if that. How exactly can you do research on something with so much variation in preference and availability without trying the different variations out?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:08 PM

487 posts, read 896,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
You know, a lot of these women probably get that they aren't getting into a LTR.
Not every woman wants a LTR. Some women might just one a one-night stand. There is nothing wrong with that, either.
I get it, you see sex as something that should be an emotional connection. But not everyone feels that way, and just because they disagree doesn't make them "slimy", wrong, bad, immoral, etc.
Yeah, but there are a lot of women who are basically lied to by guys who sort of trick them into thinking they think they're special and want a substantial relationship with them, as in getting them flowers, telling them sweet things. Like me. It can be hard to tell. Guys know the right things to say. They know how to flatter us in order to successfully get in our pants.
If I'm realistic, I guess i should assume ALL men who ask me out and all do so in order to have sex, and that's basically it.

My other question is, how can I DETECT and AVOID men only looking for something physical? Is it necessary to make a dating profile specifically requesting a man who is ready for a monogamous, committed, loving, long-term relationship? Must I express to them clearly that I find sex to be overrated in our culture? Hmm.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:14 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times
Quote:
Must I express to them clearly that I find sex to be overrated in our culture? Hmm.
yes, please do. guys deserve to know what they're getting themselves into with you.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:17 PM

111 posts, read 196,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
One in a million, if that. How exactly can you do research on something with so much variation in preference and availability without trying the different variations out?
Well, you have to have some experience of course. Newbs fail many times on their first attempts. If you are on number #30 or something, you just aren't serious and are playing the field.

Speed dating and "coffee dates" are classic examples of that.

Are you kidding?

You've been on 5 dates with different people this week?

Pick one already.....

Old 09-08-2013, 10:17 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Yeah, but there are a lot of women who are basically lied to by guys who sort of trick them into thinking they think they're special and want a substantial relationship with them, as in getting them flowers, telling them sweet things. Like me. It can be hard to tell. Guys know the right things to say. They know how to flatter us in order to successfully get in our pants.
If I'm realistic, I guess i should assume ALL men who ask me out and all do so in order to have sex, and that's basically it.

My other question is, how can I DETECT and AVOID men only looking for something physical? Is it necessary to make a dating profile specifically requesting a man who is ready for a monogamous, committed, loving, long-term relationship? Must I express to them clearly that I find sex to be overrated in our culture? Hmm.
Don't fall for flattery. Don't give it up so soon. Get to know the person better before having sex. If they dump you because they have to wait longer than a few dates, that's how you screen them. Beware especially of guys who try to "sweep you off your feet". Run internet background checks on guys, you'll be surprised sometimes by what comes up. Get to know men through shared activities--join groups, organizations, where you can get to know people over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships