Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 08:34 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times

Advertisements

Have you ever "changed" for someone (girlfriend, boyfriend, husband or wife)?
Change, meaning:
Stopped smoking cause you wanted to and/or your (see above) wanted you to.
Got a better job cause you and/or (see above) wanted you to.
Decided to learn something new (golf, tennis, etc.) cause you wanted to and/or (see above) wanted you to.
My wife was looking for a cowboy type when she met me. She loved wearing a cowboy hat, boots and her Roper jeans, but all the guys she had met before me were the "nightclub" type cowboys. When I met her, I was really in to pro rodeo/team roping. The first time we met (thru a Personal Ad I had placed), she was wearing the hat, boots and jeans and so was I. Only thing was, her boots were not the type that the rodeo type gals were wearing. Her boots were the old fashion "pointed" type and all the gals (rodeo cowboy girlfriends/wives) were wearing the "lace-up" or slip-on type Roper boots. So I bought her a pair. She also had to learn the "rodeo lingo" and had no problem learning it. Then, a few years later, we bought her her first rifle and she loves it. Now, this was one lady that did want to "change", but for the right guy.........that was me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 09:51 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
I quit smoking once for a paramedic I was dating. Then I ran into him in the mall, smoking a cigar! I won't change for anyone again!

Old 10-31-2006, 07:14 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,328,712 times
Well, technically, the only person I've ever changed for is myself. To better myself, grew up, etc. Which in turn I suppose now is what effects my husband, my children and my friends and family. I believe that we shouldn't try to change who we are or what we believe in to please someone else because then you are not being true to yourself. However, I do believe in compromise which every relationship needs...so although I've never changed anything "important" to please someone, only to enhance my lifestyle and those I love (except the smoking thing....can't seem to kick it ), I am trying to grin and bear being a Giants fan for my husband LOL! He's trying to convert me from being a Steelers fan so I told him I'd watch the games with him, wear the shirt he bought me, allow him to decorate the house and train the children but I don't think I'll ever say the words "I'm a fan". But hey, you never know, they're not bad (did I just say that?!)

Old 10-31-2006, 07:21 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times
I would never change for somone, other then to better myself.

Did you ever notice when dating someone, at the beginning they are one way and then within a few months it's like Jekyl & Hyde? I don't get that. Why would you be different then yourself when you meet someone? They are going to find out eventually what you're really like anyway?

Old 10-31-2006, 07:26 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,328,712 times
Not my husband, he had no problem passing gas on our first "date" (shhh, don't tell him I told you), but then again, we went to high school together so I guess he figured he couldn't be any jerkier than he was at 15 LOL!!

Old 05-11-2007, 07:07 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
You shouldn't change your basic personality. Sure, there are certain things you should change, if they bother someone you care abuot. Maybe you are a slob and you should change and become more of a neat nick. Maybe you do certain things that really annoy your spouse. You should maybe work on eliminating those things. Those are mainly external things. If there is something in your personality that bothers another person, I don't believe you have to change that. You are who you are and you shouldn't have to change for anyon. If they don't like you the way you are, then you are not for them.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:06 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Everyone I've ever cared about has changed me to the extent that I wanted to change! There's a lot of wonderful things I might never have experienced if it wasn't for these people. One of the best things about close relationships is taking what you love the most and making it your own. And giving the best of yourself in return.

OMG! I am such a Pollyanna this morning. OK, they all taught me sex tricks too! Better?

Old 05-11-2007, 10:38 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,361,498 times
I never changed for someone, just learned new things that I found interesting.

How to:
Shoot a 9 mm and rifle
Pack a parachute
Rides bikes etc

I have given up a lot for someone (my husband) though.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:36 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times
I'm w/tet and yellow. While I haven't changed, I have added other's interests to mine. If you love/care for someone, you do those things to a certain extent. Alot of those things I carry w/me today. Korean food, 4-wheelin' etc.... I do have to say that when things are fresh and new, I will refrain from any offensive behavior *cough cough* lol

Old 05-11-2007, 02:21 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,002 times
I didn't change FOR my husband

But I have changed BECAUSE of him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships