Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 11:05 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Actions make a person ugly.

Wanted to rep you, but it looks like I gave you too much. But I totally agree with you. How a person speaks and carry themselves is what makes them ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Actions make a person ugly.
So right.

I have a really hard time calling someone "ugly" unless they are jerks. I think the worst term I could use for someone who isn't attractive is simply "unattractive" but even that is tough. Ugly is a really terrible word to me. I cannot think of someone as ugly unless I truly dislike their personalities. And of course, they can be 'ugly' when physically they are average or even above-average. Just because I am not attracted to someone doesn't make them ugly.

I do believe there are people who were not genetically blessed. However, many people who aren't considered attractive make the best of what they have. If they are great people, then I am disinclined to care about looks. I guess that's why beauty is a bit more 'universal' (relatively speaking) than ugliness. I think both are as subjective as the other.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:16 PM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times
Generally, yes.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:48 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
I don't get why people always start talking about personalities and moral qualities in a discussion about physical appearance. Personally I have no trouble separating the two. Someone can be a wonderful person yet be physically unattractive, just as someone could be stunning yet have a horrible personality. There ARE ugly people out there, in my eyes, of course that doesn't mean another person would share my opinion - I have seen some very unattractive women, for instance, with partners who clearly adored them and their looks. As someone who has been called both ugly and beautiful myself, it's clear that both are subjective, to an extent. However I'm sure I could post some photos here of women that none of the posters would consider attractive or pretty.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:48 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
there has to be a spectrum of facial appearance, and as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

but i like Raena's point too, and wish we reserved that word for ppl who engage in intentional and hurtful behavior... and haters too.
Yeah, it's not a word I use in my personal life about people because it's a little harsh (the worst I've ever used was "not appealing" and only really thought it to myself) but it's a shortcut when trying to draw a clear line in a discussion (and also when I'm too lazy to keep typing "someone not considered aesthetically attractive" lol)

Old 10-08-2013, 10:56 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,782 times
yeah, without readin your post thoroughly, I'd totally agree.
Ugly is ugly. But most women are hot in some way. An actually ugly woman is rare, and it's pretty particular look-wise.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:16 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I don't think that there are truly that many actually objectively ugly people. I mean of there are, of course ugly people, but I find that most people who aren't attractive aren't really "ugly" just not attractive.

Although, there was this one dude and he was ugly...... I mean sneak up on a glass of water ugly.... poor guy and he had a ****ty personality too, so I'm betting life hasn't been to kind to that fella.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships