Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:44 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,774 times

Advertisements

If the guy isn't comfortable in his own skin, it doesn't matter whether he's wearing a good t-shirt/jeans or a well-tailored suit...he's going to come across as unattractive to most women. Many people can easily sense whether he's wearing his clothes or if his clothes are wearing him.

Most confident men (and women) tend to take pretty decent care of themselves including how they dress...without trying too hard. Being sharply dressed for the appropriate occasion...or casually dressed for day-to-day stuff...doesn't stop them from living their lives and they're still being themselves. A natural imperfection here and there can add to their appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 12:05 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Women seem to be more interested in overall composition and neatness of the man’s outfit, than the level of dressiness. Clean, properly-laced sneakers are apparently superior to dress shoes with discoloration in the leather, loose laces and the front portion of the soles dangling. Jeans or even shorts, properly ironed and worn with a belt, are apparently superior to dress-slacks with a hole in the right-rear pocket where the man’s wallet protrudes, missing a belt, with a stain here and there, unironed and worn somewhat hanging about the waist. Clothing no longer unambiguously signals socioeconomic class – and probably hasn’t for 70 years (sorry, I’m a slow learner). What seems to matter more isn’t the type of clothing (dressy or casual), or even the quality of the garments, but whether the wearer accords scrupulous attention to detail.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:38 PM

24 posts, read 20,914 times
If a guy doesn't take the time to dress respectably on a formal occasion like an organizational party and dresses in sneakers, jeans, etc., I'm totally turned off. It's like he doesn't respect the girl at all - in fact he's showing his disrespect to the public in that formal party.

Same thing with Starbucks. Starbucks is a classy place and if we're on a date, he better NOT be wearing sneakers, jeans, etc.

Going to the park, the beach, McDonald's date, at the mall? Yeah, it's fine for him to dress casually, but not for a lot of occasions (formal and semi-formal and classy places), especially when he's trying to impress his date that's he's just as good as the other guys out there.

If I dress up on formal and semi-formal occasions, I expect the guy to do so also. Don't be a slob when you're on one of these dates otherwise it will be the LAST date you'll be on with girls like me.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:50 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelovechef View Post
Ladies what is it about a man who is "Well Dressed, Well Manner and Well Groom". A man who take the time to care about himself mind, body and soul?
These kind of men are the cat's meow..... Prrrrrrrrr

Old 01-09-2014, 06:57 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelovechef View Post
Ladies what is it about a man who is "Well Dressed, Well Manner and Well Groom". A man who take the time to care about himself mind, body and soul?

I just hate shaving my face every day it sucks other then that i am well dressed. Right now i am in no shape mentally to be dating trying to think of myself as winner vs a loser.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Surprising a lot of millionaire men are t-shirt/blue jean guys. You'd never know they reek of money.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:29 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
I wore a polo shirt, blue jeans and pair of converse this morning in a meeting while closing an investment deal amongst multi-million dollar investors in pricy suits. I could really care less what people think, and that includes dates

I could wear my cufflinks, Penerai watch, suite/tie, zooming in my Porsche on a date, but all that would just be "too influencing". You''ll find me driving my motorcycle, five o'clock shadow, blue jeans and sneakers during the first few dates. If she doesn't like it, too bad. shes a dime a dozen and the bus runs every 15mins

Old 01-09-2014, 08:08 PM

457 posts, read 605,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I wore a polo shirt, blue jeans and pair of converse this morning in a meeting while closing an investment deal amongst multi-million dollar investors in pricy suits. I could really care less what people think, and that includes dates

I could wear my cufflinks, Penerai watch, suite/tie, zooming in my Porsche on a date, but all that would just be "too influencing". You''ll find me driving my motorcycle, five o'clock shadow, blue jeans and sneakers during the first few dates. If she doesn't like it, too bad. shes a dime a dozen and the bus runs every 15mins
I say good for you. Society makes life too complex as is, why feel like you have to dress up for every unique event. I think some people, like myself, look better casual, or relatively so.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
For me, it seems a lost art. It's too easy to be casual these days, but it seems many people can be sloppy. I get the desire to be comfortable, etc., but when a man takes the effort because he genuinely wants to look nice for the occasion, and doesn't take issue with wearing a tasteful suit that actually fits, and appears more polished in general and confident, it certainly makes him stand out from the rest.

I don't expect a guy to be perfect, but if a man also happens to have old-school etiquette that is rare these days (not drinking while someone's speaking, having a napkin in one's lap, etc.), I'll certainly take notice.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:56 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdy-girl View Post
Starbucks is a classy place
LOL?

And I'm on the "men should dress up" side of the fence! But this, just....no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships