Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:05 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Viking View Post
Houston-Dan, just because you can attract pretty women to date does not make you successful or a "non-looser" in relationships. Dating and relationships are two entirely different beasts. What you have now seems to be a successful relationship, and people will have their opinions about it one way or another. If you two are happy, who you "can attract" is irrelevant. I wonder how your girlfriend would feel if she read that post.
Well, I do find it a bit relevant as someone with choices is typically far less willing to settle.

If a guy would like a relationship and say over 5 years he gets 10 dates, as opposed to another guy gets 100, wouldnt you think the guy with more options is better able to find a person more compatible with himself?

The ONLY thing my gf and I don't have in common is I make a lot of money and she does not. Oddly enough, I do not care, yet when dating threads come up multiple posters have brought up her age and called her names. Zero clue how that works.

I can promise you. It's not like the dating field is just crawling with women that make even half of what I do. Even 1/4 of what I do. So why would I care that when my gf works she usually makes $10-$12?

I am not like highly educated, I dont evwn have my bachelor's, so its not like there's some huge education gap.

Yet she does: enjoy the same movies, like mountain biking, like weight lifting, is low maintenance and frugal, is far better with children than any non-mother I have ever met, etc...

When we've been together a year and a half I'm unsure why so many people have made negative comments for her not working the last 3 months. She worked the 9 months before, but as I said, it's not practical when we are about 45 minutes in the middle of nowhere. Plus, when all our bills and expenses are done each month and we habe 3k-4k left over, how mecessary is it for her to work anyways? She has zero debt and zero bills. She's low maintenance even when she is working she saves, so who cares?

Baffled that since so many posters complain about relationships, that when I'm typically very happy they make negative comments about our 5.5 year age difference or income difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 09:06 AM

63 posts, read 164,304 times
I would hate a woman who thinks she has to take care of me. They remind me of a my mother when I was a child. I can take care of myself on my own, thank you very much.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:46 AM

348 posts, read 498,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
What's wrong with that? Plenty of women would love to be a SAHM and would love to have a husband capable of making that happen. Why do you have such a problem with it?
There's nothing wrong with the SAHM. They are a dying breed.
Although I do have to say that there are plenty men and some women who see it as a "free loading/lower status" position. Right here in CD we see so many threads accusing women of being "gold diggers" or "wanting to be taken care of" simply because they may want to be a SAHM.

Why would a lady of today want to be a SAHM when they get grief for not working and "freeloading" and being treated with less respect? Society has grounded into them to further careers and get out of the mom role and into working mom role. Hence the SAHM is a dying breed.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:40 PM

896 posts, read 1,177,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow bear View Post
There's nothing wrong with the SAHM. They are a dying breed.
Although I do have to say that there are plenty men and some women who see it as a "free loading/lower status" position. Right here in CD we see so many threads accusing women of being "gold diggers" or "wanting to be taken care of" simply because they may want to be a SAHM.

Why would a lady of today want to be a SAHM when they get grief for not working and "freeloading" and being treated with less respect? Society has grounded into them to further careers and get out of the mom role and into working mom role. Hence the SAHM is a dying breed.
Why? Because she chooses to put her family and child rearing first and has the self confidence to make such a decision without caring what "society" thinks, especially since society will keep rolling along whether she lives or dies, whether she is happy or sad.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:59 PM

348 posts, read 498,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
Why? Because she chooses to put her family and child rearing first and has the self confidence to make such a decision without caring what "society" thinks, especially since society will keep rolling along whether she lives or dies, whether she is happy or sad.
What about when it's your SO that feels that way? And yes that does happen.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:02 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,197,348 times
Yes, and they are called looking for a nurse with a purse.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:07 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow bear View Post
What about when it's your SO that feels that way? And yes that does happen.
Well then thats the SOs fault as well..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-13-2013, 01:59 PM

769 posts, read 977,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
I can promise you. It's not like the dating field is just crawling with women that make even half of what I do. Even 1/4 of what I do. So why would I care that when my gf works she usually makes $10-$12?

honestly I could give two rat's butts if your relationship works or not. It doesn't concern me.

Believe me there are plenty of women that make about what you do. We just don't broadcast the fact because it isn't what defines us as people.

There are plenty of women who may just like to work. Even when I made 1/4 of what you did, I still enjoyed getting up and going to work everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships