Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:44 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasGuy View Post
I am 33, never been married, no kids. Some of the fights I see young or middle aged married couples get into....really helps me make sure I do not settle. You have to make sure you marry someone you cant live without, instead of finding someone you could live with.
Really great advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 05:57 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I know I am, so why is it so hard to believe that there would be other people like me.

I know about a dozen unmarried childless, older friends/family.
I know a bunch of unmarried, childless people in their 40s and 50s too. Doesn't mean they're happy. You could be in your late 30s and early 40s and forever going to Vegas and happy hour and daytrips and etc, etc, but you will find yourself reaching down to lower aged groups to make it happen. The other option is spending a lot of your time with different couples your own age and being 3rd wheel, until they have kids of course. Like I said, you'll see. I, myself could picture an eternal single life for myself, carrying on the same lifestyle I did in my late 20s and early 30s. But reality is different.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:35 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
I know a bunch of unmarried, childless people in their 40s and 50s too. Doesn't mean they're happy. You could be in your late 30s and early 40s and forever going to Vegas and happy hour and daytrips and etc, etc, but you will find yourself reaching down to lower aged groups to make it happen. The other option is spending a lot of your time with different couples your own age and being 3rd wheel, until they have kids of course. Like I said, you'll see. I, myself could picture an eternal single life for myself, carrying on the same lifestyle I did in my late 20s and early 30s. But reality is different.
Pretty sure there will be ample amounts of divorced men my age as I get older who are not interested in getting remarried or having kids later in life.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:40 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasGuy View Post
What is true, is that once you get to 30's or higher the pickings are slim. The majority of women you meet out and about are divorced or single mothers. Its not so much the fact they are a parent or divorced as it is they often have jealous ex husbands or "baby daddys", and you are most likely never, ever, going to be #1. You will always take a back seat in the end. Not saying this is ALWAYS the case, but it happens. Its worth waiting for the right one. Just dont go crazy trying to find someone. Let it happen and it will when the time is right.
I don't think there is even a right one. Just the one that you're most willing to settle for.

I wouldn't want to date a woman with baggage. Too much trouble than it's worth. Hit it and quit it.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
anyone here experiencing this?
No.

I don't regularly associate with married people and/or people with kids.

[and my Mom and brother who is married with kids don't pressure me, either]

Old 11-04-2013, 02:28 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
you obviously are in your 20s. that was the case for me when i was in my 20s. the game changes when you hit 30, and it is an eye opener.
Shoot that game already changed for me at 19! People were already getting married and/or popping out babies. Young adulthood was pretty tough for me. I never really wanted a relationship, just felt like I should have one, and wondered why I didn't and didn't really want one. Since then, I've cut most of the naysayers who made me feel like that out of my life and limit my time with couples, except aunts and uncles, they're cool.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:40 AM

316 posts, read 214,619 times
Without having read all these comments, there is still pressure to marry or have a SO in the 21st century. It seems ingrained in us from day one of our lives we must marry or be labeled 'Peter Pans', etc. Don't laugh too hard, but I had no date until over 20 years old and no steady relationship except with my husband. Boy, did I feel like an outcast. I don't get this social pressure to be partnered and then have kids. I was afraid of being an old maid and almost gave up. I love my husband, but felt the pressure to find someone is unneeded. Both of us could have been just as happy single, though, we were never taught other options. I would tell any young person don't succumb to the pressure of marriage and kids. If it happens fine, but you can be happy and fulfilled living single.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:21 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times
Quote:
most of the people i know are married and squirting out kids.
WTF lol

Old 11-11-2013, 12:36 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,240 times
Quote:
most of the people i know are married and squirting out kids. they're always rambling on about those subjects. i usually have to cut them off because it was boring me to tears.
Hahaha love it! Same mentality as myself. I don't like associating with the marrieds...and even if they're single with kids, I don't want anything to do with them either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships