Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:11 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times

Advertisements

Become famous

Works everytime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:38 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
What the hell? Why are you trying to pursue a relationship with a woman you are not sexually attracted to? Yes, you say you want her to "love you" but how it is fair to her if that does not include intimacy?

You need to figure that out, man.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 AM

11,794 posts, read 12,028,825 times
It might be worth clarifying:

-A friend is someone, regardless of gender, whose company you enjoy, maybe share interests, hobbies, etc.

-A romantic partner is someone who hopefully encompasses the quality of a friend, but with mutual love and attraction between you.

-The "friendzone" is a stupid term that represents a figurative place that people put themselves when they have ulterior motives with an opposite sex friend. Let me repeat, no one puts you there, you choose it of your own free will when you remain friends with someone of the opposite sex, and secretly hope for more.

So my question to you, OP, is why are you doing this to yourself?

Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,990,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
The more you view women as pieces of meat, the more "action" you are likely to get. As long as you make a move on her.

I pretty much only talk to a girl these days If I can see myself doing the wild thing with her. Or I don't bother. My male friends make much better friends.
I agree with this. I would add however that it's valuable or beneficial to have a couple female friends only, as they will be your "wingman" in pulling in other girls. Woman are notoriously good at hooking up their guy friends with other women.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:50 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenbandit View Post
How do I get out of the friendzone? I have known this girl for 6 years but in her eyes I am more like a brother. Lately she's been more affectionate but i'm not sure if she's flirting or just being naturally flirtatious as she is. I want her to love me, but I don't know how to get to that point.
Simply say how you feel about her. And if she doesn't agree, walk away gracefully. There is a 95% chance of that happening, but you'll at least have your dignity. And walking away is likely your best shot at actually having a true relationship. Because she might wind up missing you and realizing what a great guy you are. But sitting around being Mr. Nice Guy in the hopes of her waking up one day, ripping open her bodice, and saying, "Take me now and make me the woman I've always wanted to be" has zero chance for success.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,351 times
Quote:
How do I get out of the friendzone? I have known this girl for 6 years but in her eyes I am more like a brother. Lately she's been more affectionate but i'm not sure if she's flirting or just being naturally flirtatious as she is. I want her to love me, but I don't know how to get to that point.
There is no "friend zone" to get out of.

The whole idea of the "friend zone" comes from a sense of entitlement, from the idea that, by rejecting you, you have been somehow branded unfairly. Six years? She's not into you.

Make your feelings known. Point out that you are not her brother. If you cannot stand to be around if she does not reciprocate your feelings, get out of her life. If you value her friendship enough to stay around, do so.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:42 AM

175 posts, read 275,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
It might be worth clarifying:

-A friend is someone, regardless of gender, whose company you enjoy, maybe share interests, hobbies, etc.

-A romantic partner is someone who hopefully encompasses the quality of a friend, but with mutual love and attraction between you.

-The "friendzone" is a stupid term that represents a figurative place that people put themselves when they have ulterior motives with an opposite sex friend. Let me repeat, no one puts you there, you choose it of your own free will when you remain friends with someone of the opposite sex, and secretly hope for more.

So my question to you, OP, is why are you doing this to yourself?
Agreed. Men end up in the friendzone by pretending to be a womans friend & not making their intentions known or not making a move. It could be partially to avoid rejection or by having the incorrect theory that by being her friend first things may change or she may then fall for you.

Best bet is to be direct with any woman you meet right off the bat, make your intentions known from the very beginning. It's more risky and your liable to get rejected more, but at the same time it also give you the greater chance of success because these types of encounters more often than not generally kick off when you meet someone new for the first time.

Whilst I don't totally agree with the other posters who state you should view woman as a "piece of meat", he does have a point. Make a move and go for it. Have no qualms about trying your hand at trying to make out or have sex with her first. That's what men do and its their job to do so as they are seen as the "approacher" in this world we live in. I'm beginning to come round to the idea of doing this as opposed to looking at women as potential girl friends. Of course you can also just ask her out and ask for her number, as long as you do it within the first couple of encounters after you meet her.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:45 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,254 times
Take her through McDonald's drive-through and whip the flappy out after placing the order. This is one instance the person in the passenger seat will always look at the driver. The surest way to know about friend zones.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:49 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,363 times
Quote:
You don't. It doesnt work that way. MOST of the time, a 6 year friendship isn't a 'failed to initially date' opportunity.

She probably sees you as a friend.

If you want to take a chance, just directly ask her out.

Thing is, if she doesn't think of you that way, she may be weirded, or worse, creeped out, that a guy she views like a brother just asked her out.
You may lose the friendship.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:03 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe there was an edit, but I don't see ANYWHERE where OP said she is not attracted to him, she finds him to be ugly, or she has no interest in him. All I see is that they've been friends for six years, and thus far there is no romantic involvement, but HE is interested, and SHE is being more flirtatious.

Yes, I agree, some of these responses are harsh, and out of line. Ignore them.

IMO, if you (OP) feel that strongly about it, then sort your thoughts out, have a clear vision of what you are REALLY trying to say, and then have an honest talk with her. Don't frame it as "romance or nothing", as that is only closing down your options, and making a false choice that you may have to live by. Rather, let her know how you feel, and what the truth is about how much you do (or don't) value the friendship as it is now. Ask her her feelings, and if you want, ask her if you are reading her flirtiness correctly.

Here's the thing: You only get to live this life once. Be respectful, be true to yourself, but DO NOT make yourself regret the things you didn't do. Put yourself out there, expect it won't always go as planned, and know you'll get over it. If you don't ever take the risk, then you'll almost never get the reward. Don't go to the grave wishing you'd tried.

And good luck, she sounds like she's pretty awesome to you, so good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships