Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 11:47 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post

Some things to consider. Also, post you own views as well---
Have people gone overboard with their expectations and requirements?
Have people priced themselves out of the market?
Did feminism kill relationships?
Is it about competing with each other more so than helping each other?

Let's talk

Today, I think people have more options. The more options one has, the less likely one is going to accept an unacceptable situation, e.g. an unhappy relationship.

[this could be good or bad]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 01:13 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
THey were not all successful in their marriages, the "good ole days" were not perfect but they were better than today. First our grandparents did not have to try and save money on "McJobs" Grandfathers likely had a good job to support a big family, and as long as you wanted to work and worked hard you could obtain a job like that. Grandmothers were largely satisfied to raise children and keep house, so families were more tight nit. Did everyone have a role they were stuck with?? yes they did, the man had to "bring home the bacon" and the woman of the house stuck being June Cleaver. To a modern person this sounds so mundane and horrible but most of them had very good lives, much better lives than we are stuck with today. Another thing they had that lacks today is values and work ethic. They were not centered on themselves, they could live without if need be and they would be more willing to sacrifice for others. They were not made soft by all this technology we have, they were tougher people. They did not hook up with the cute girl at work just because they could, they were more likely to honor their vows even when tempted. They believed in God, and worshiped him every Sunday. In short they were more equipped to deal with life, they followed life's instruction manual (The Bible) and for that reason their marriages could weather life storms better than today.
Some of the advantages they had we cannot take advantage of. We will never have the access to good jobs they had, our politicians and corporations sold us out to offshoring decades ago and we will never have their prosperity. That does not mean however we cannot learn from their values. The values of hard work, frugality, loyalty, selflessness and most of all Christian values can be applied to our lives. If both parties of a marriage follow these values its a good bet they will see many decades married just like Grandma and Grandpa did.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:31 AM

13,660 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
... back when most of our grandparents were married they were taught to work hard on their marriage, and personal fulfillment did not seem like such a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
What is so noble about staying in a bad marriage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
... and because expectations of happiness within marriages was very low. Do you want to go back to those days? I don't.
My view is that loyalty and perseverance are laudable virtues, period. This applies in marriage, in friendship, in employment, in national identity. My view is that today we view relationships of all kinds as tenuous and contingent, devaluing loyalty and instead exalting dynamism and the seeking of optimal solutions.

I would prefer to live in a society where bad employees can’t easily be fired, and bad employers can’t easily be left. Others might prefer a more market-oriented approach, where superstar employees hop from employer to employer, shopping for the best compensation package, while sluggard employees are jettisoned at will, to improve the bottom-line.

I would prefer to retain my friends even if they treat me poorly, and for them to retain my friendship even if I behave as a recalcitrant jerk. Others would prefer a more dynamic social system, where people merge their lives based on lifestyle and interests, and separate them once those interests diverge.

To me it seems that today we demand more from our lives, our jobs, our marriages, and ourselves. But do we actually obtain more? We place individual happiness in prime position, but are we happier? We seek to be entertained, stimulated, fulfilled. But are we? Instead, I would opine that it is precisely by expecting less, that we obtain more. We are happier in direct proportion to how much further we lower the proverbial bar.

My grandparents were born around 1900. They did not divorce, not because divorce was taboo, or their marriages were blissfully idyllic, but because they realized that the seeking of improvement is futile, and that the wisest course is steadfast perseverance.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:33 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Or, people just lived miserable lives. If you want to call that noble and good for kids, knock yourself out but it's your opinion, not a fact.
Exactly.

My parents and grandparents (I only knew one set) led miserable lives. Both stayed married for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I don't believe relationships were ever more successful back then. Women simply didn't have the means to escape a miserable marriage and social etiquette frowned on divorcees.
You nailed it.

I wish my mother would have divorced my worthless father and raised my brother and I on her own.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:45 AM

863 posts, read 1,129,699 times
Online social media didn't exist. Easier to meet people at the click of a mouse these days.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:19 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,150,844 times
Quote:
Our grandparents were very successful at making relationships work for 30,40,50 and even 60 years of marriage.

My grandmother was a nurse and my grandfather was a welder for the Navy ship yard. They had a very good life. Lived very well and saved a lot of money too. Put 5 kids through college and helped each child secure their first home. My grandparents had a great grasp on what life was about. I'm sure your grandparents were similar to mine, in that regard.

My parents have been married for over 40 years. I remember my mom telling me that she and my dad met in college back in the late 60's. She approached him, and, well as they say, the rest is history.

Seems like, even with the top 10 dating websites, Meetups, forums, social media, people are finding it very difficult to connect with each other.

I know many guys that have just about given up on dating or attempting to find a gal to date, let alone get married to.

Let's talk

NOTE: I AM NOT SEEKING ADVICE. I AM POSING A QUESTION FOR DISCUSSION.

Feminist destroyed marriage, by telling women they don't "need a man". Also women's expectations of marriage is based on disney cartoons and chick flicks, as opposed to our grandparents who had realistic expectations and each gender knew their place and role in the relationship.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:26 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Quote:
Our grandparents were very successful at making relationships work for 30,40,50 and even 60 years of marriage.

My grandmother was a nurse and my grandfather was a welder for the Navy ship yard. They had a very good life. Lived very well and saved a lot of money too. Put 5 kids through college and helped each child secure their first home. My grandparents had a great grasp on what life was about. I'm sure your grandparents were similar to mine, in that regard.

My parents have been married for over 40 years. I remember my mom telling me that she and my dad met in college back in the late 60's. She approached him, and, well as they say, the rest is history.

Seems like, even with the top 10 dating websites, Meetups, forums, social media, people are finding it very difficult to connect with each other.

I know many guys that have just about given up on dating or attempting to find a gal to date, let alone get married to.

Let's talk

NOTE: I AM NOT SEEKING ADVICE. I AM POSING A QUESTION FOR DISCUSSION.
There are still women out there who just want a husband that is a good provider and good father and they will love him to death.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:42 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Feminist destroyed marriage, by telling women they don't "need a man". Also women's expectations of marriage is based on disney cartoons and chick flicks, as opposed to our grandparents who had realistic expectations and each gender knew their place and role in the relationship.
Your simplistic views are not based on truth. Feminism is about equality, not about not needing a man or hating men or anything other silly reason you and your ilk like to dream up.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:13 AM

76 posts, read 89,732 times
The problem is that, if you weren't married by your mid 20s back then, you started to be seen as suspicious. Marrying was seen as any other social duty. What you truly wanted to yourself was at the bottom of the list or didn't even exist.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:13 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,631,521 times
They were "successful" because women didn't have twitter and fake google numbers back then. Men didn't have to worry about getting taken to the cleaners back then in a divorce. Everybody knew their role. Today women expect for the men to continue to be traditional but if you ask them to make you some biscuits from scratch they will look at you crazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships