Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:53 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times

Advertisements

Different people mean different things. Across the board, this is true.

Some women like AA men for the stereotype that the OP describes, others may like them for looks, and yet others are simply interested in "feeling" open minded. And I'm sure some are interested in the unmentioned 14" stereotype. (let's be honest).

For me, I just had this discussion last night (with my GF, of all people), but after nearly 20 years of marriage, I 'vowed' to myself that I'd date anything BUT good looking white-girls. It hasn't panned out that way, but I guess in my second go-round, I've noticed that people from all around the world are physically beautiful in their own way, and they also bring different cultural influences that are great too. The stereotypes are often true, but in reality, each human is an individual, and I find that I pretty much have to put on blinders and just get to know the person. If you go in with expectations, based on someones looks, it's more than likely going to be a let-down.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:09 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I may sound sexist, but I think its mostly women who have the ethnic fetish thing. Men don't seem to fantasize about the way some ethnic group will behave but are more interested in the way an ethnic group looks, but of course looks aren't everything.
Oh, no. There are plenty of men who have a geisha fetish about Asian women, or they think that Latinas are overly sexual yet traditional, etc. etc. It comes up all the time on this board when some men insist that American women are ruined and "real" women are of other cultures.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:17 AM

330 posts, read 545,185 times
I'd hate to think that someone was into me simply because of that. I just go by the person, the personality - not their race/ethnicity.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:18 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,418 times
I've just always been attracted to Asian ladies since I was small, especially brown eyes and long dark hair, it just drives me wild. Just my personal taste, I don't have to justify anything beyond that to anyone

Last edited by AT-AT28; 11-26-2013 at 08:46 AM..

Old 11-26-2013, 08:42 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
You're thinking too much. Just go with it, she likes you. If she happens to says something that you find offensive (people aren't perfect), just tell her (be polite) that you don't like it and then she'll stop saying it.

Last edited by srjth; 11-26-2013 at 09:06 AM..

Old 11-26-2013, 08:46 AM

368 posts, read 577,651 times
Ethnic fetishes tend to lean towards the stereotypical portrayal of w/e race. A white girl with a fetish for black guys are usually looking for thugs and black girls with a fetish for white guys are usually looking for a suit and tie business guy lol at least in my experience.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I'm not talking about being "open to an interracial relationship," I mean what are people who look for an interracial relationship looking for? A person who just happens to be of another race or a walking stereotype? I think more women than men want the latter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post

Someone who consistently seeks out members of a given ethnic group because he or she is especially (or, in some cases, exclusively) attracted to members of that group has a fetish. Period.
Technically, a fetish is something that is practically worshipped for having some sort of magical power. As in, life is not complete without it. In this regard, having a preference for a particular ethnic group is not in itself a fetish as the person with the attraction can live a happy, rewarding, perhaps single, life without it. Then of course there are sexual fetishes, which are things that are required to get off. Without the fetish, there is no big O, or if there is an O, it is rather dull. In this case, the person with the attraction can only get off if they are with someone of the fetishized ethnicity. Look, just because someone has a preference, even if to the point of exclusivity, may not be a fetish. In most cases it is probably not. Besides, would you call it a fetish if a white dude had an "exclusive preference" for only dating white women? Of course not. You might say that was normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
A person can say that they like a certain race but need to elaborate why.
Why? It's no one's business but my own who I am dating and if I "owe" anyone an explanation it is to the woman I am dating, not society.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:01 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Technically, a fetish is something that is practically worshipped for having some sort of magical power. As in, life is not complete without it. In this regard, having a preference for a particular ethnic group is not in itself a fetish as the person with the attraction can live a happy, rewarding, perhaps single, life without it.
You are underestimating the number of people for whom finding a partner of a given ethnicity is like life and death. I've known many, many people like this. Also, there are many people who automatically exclude entire ethnic groups from their potential dating pool. This has much more to due with negative stereotypes than people care to admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Besides, would you call it a fetish if a white dude had an "exclusive preference" for only dating white women? Of course not. You might say that was normal.
That is in no way "normal." It is not a fetish for white women; it is a prejudice against non-white women. Given the fact we live in a profoundly racist society, these kinds of prejudices are common, and found among all ethnic groups.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
You're thinking too much. Just go with it, she likes you. If she happens to says something that you find offensive (people aren't perfect), just tell her (be polite) that you don't like it and then she'll stop saying it.
Is this to the OP? That's a terrible suggestion. She made it ckear she's looking for someone that he's not and he's looking for someone she's not. I.e. height, music, Dancing, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-26-2013, 09:22 AM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marziale View Post
I am an Indian, so non-Indians are often offended when I tell them I don't eat curry or charm snakes.
I loves me some curry

I also think Indian women are very beautiful, although I have never gone out with one.

Preferences and fetishes, I don't have a problem with preferences, fetishes... IDK...... it's not about the person at that point, it's just the image or idea of that particular race/nationality more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships