Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 02:56 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,964,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Oh and let's be real she got lucky.

Not every woman can pull a handsome prince
True, but she went there with the mindset of getting a husband as well as a degree more a husband as her degree is in liberal arts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
have you ever been to america?
I was born in the States boo! This thread is not meant to say that Americans are stupid just that a lot of this woe is me I'm single is self imposed.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:01 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,705,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Oh and let's be real she got lucky.

Not every woman can pull a handsome prince

Yes. She is undoubtedly lovely, but there are lots of lovely women in England. It was mostly luck for her. A lot of times it's luck when someone snags someone amazing. I've always said this.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:04 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,225,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
True, but she went there with the mindset of getting a husband as well as a degree more a husband as her degree is in liberal arts
You are a complete jackass. A liberal arts degree does not mean seeking a husband.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:15 PM

13,697 posts, read 9,788,445 times
College may not frequently be a place to literally find a husband (or a wife), but it very much IS a place to build social connections amongst which later forms a pool of prospective candidates for dating… recent graduates’ siblings, friends-of-friends and so forth. Successful young professionals of either gender rarely don their graduation-gown while already equipped with a wedding ring, but steps taken while pursuing the former are invaluable towards attaining the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I guess because women in America have decided that they want a career first, then later on, they'll find a husband. However, the college age women should consult women in their 30's. This plan isn't working out for a lot of them.
In my experience, women with successful careers tend to also be successful in their husband-finding ventures, perhaps not in college, but shortly thereafter; for instance, in graduate school. Those who have thriving careers by age 30, also tend to have 2 or 3 kids, a recently-built McMansion, and a husband to mow the McMansion’s lawn. Meanwhile, remaining single tends to correlate with menial jobs or stunted careers. In other words, some women “have it allâ€, while others have none of it, so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Gold diggers look for people with wealth for immediate gratification, not looking for someone with possible future potential who might lavish them with material things in 10 years.
Very true, and succinctly explains why the successful but modest “nice guy†isn’t mobbed by mendacious female admirers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
...a LOT of guys are too shy to approach women in college. And some just don't find anyone they're interested in. Some women don't get much male attention in college, either. College isn't a store where you shop for a mate. It doesn't work that way for a lot of people.
As for myself, college was an extension of high school. The priority was getting good grades in challenging classes. What little free time remained, was devoted to reading for pleasure, or nerdy hobbies such as chess or model airplanes. I graduated well before reaching age 21, and never saw the inside of a bar until well after having become a so-called professional. The idea of dating in college, let alone shopping for a prospective spouse, would have been ludicrous and alien. But I’m a guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Professors aren't allowed to get "hooked" by students nowadays; they could lose their jobs. I call BS on this post. It seems fictional and provocational.
Precisely. Threats of sexual harassment are a serious concern for male professors, especially in male-dominated fields such as engineering, where the few women in the classroom are already in an awkward position, and sexual tensions are high.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:29 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,705,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I was looking for a husband and found out there was a never married man at church. That was until he's the priest!
I've met several attractive priests!!!

Last edited by srjth; 12-04-2013 at 03:38 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
College may not frequently be a place to literally find a husband (or a wife), but it very much IS a place to build social connections amongst which later forms a pool of prospective candidates for dating… recent graduates’ siblings, friends-of-friends and so forth. Successful young professionals of either gender rarely don their graduation-gown while already equipped with a wedding ring, but steps taken while pursuing the former are invaluable towards attaining the latter.

In my experience, women with successful careers tend to also be successful in their husband-finding ventures, perhaps not in college, but shortly thereafter; for instance, in graduate school. Those who have thriving careers by age 30, also tend to have 2 or 3 kids, a recently-built McMansion, and a husband to mow the McMansion’s lawn. Meanwhile, remaining single tends to correlate with menial jobs or stunted careers. In other words, some women “have it allâ€, while others have none of it, so to speak.

Very true, and succinctly explains why the successful but modest “nice guy†isn’t mobbed by mendacious female admirers.

As for myself, college was an extension of high school. The priority was getting good grades in challenging classes. What little free time remained, was devoted to reading for pleasure, or nerdy hobbies such as chess or model airplanes. I graduated well before reaching age 21, and never saw the inside of a bar until well after having become a so-called professional. The idea of dating in college, let alone shopping for a prospective spouse, would have been ludicrous and alien. But I’m a guy.

Precisely. Threats of sexual harassment are a serious concern for male professors, especially in male-dominated fields such as engineering, where the few women in the classroom are already in an awkward position, and sexual tensions are high.
@ bolded really? I have observed quite the opposite, women who climb the ladder by stepping on every potential romantic partner''s toes to get to the top. Then when they want to settle down, all those suitos have vanished.

Condolezza Rice comes to mind. Her career was pretty impressive but she only has one documented relationship & that was when she was 19. So she pretty much lost her virginity & never got laid again? But hey I guess those White House dinners kept her warm at night?

Old 12-04-2013, 04:06 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,242,201 times
Quote:
What Katherine did is an unwritten rule in most European countries. That is, its expected that when a woman goes to college she comes home with a degree AS WELL AS a potential well to do HUSBAND. Basically you go to college for both. Why have Americans not figured this out yet?
American's did figure it out and it's a shame most of us have little knowledge of how things operated in this country.
Prior to the First World War women's role in society in western countries was generally confined to the domestic sphere (but not necessarily their own home) and to certain types of jobs: 'Women's Work'.

While some women managed to receive an education and others to go into non-traditional career paths, for the most part women were expected to be primarily involved in "duties at home" and "women's work".

More than any previous wars, World Wars I and II hinged as much on industrial production as they did on battlefield clashes. With millions of men away fighting and with the inevitable horrendous casualties, there was a severe shortage of labor in a range of industries, from rural and farm work to city office jobs to factory labor including ship and bomb building assembly lines.

During both World War I and World War II, women were called on, by necessity, to do work and to take on roles that were outside their traditional gender expectations. Women did, for the duration of both World Wars, take on jobs that were traditionally regarded as skilled "men's work". However, in accordance with the agreement negotiated with the trade unions, women undertaking jobs covered by the Dilution agreement lost their jobs at the end of the First World War and were then expected to return home for domesticated and wifely duties so men could resume their jobs prior to the war upon return. Women were discouraged to continue the work they were placed in during the war and if any woman did stay in the out-of-home workforce, they were discriminated against in even getting a job against a man and, if successful, were paid less than half what a man made doing the exact same job.

Basically, the type of work women studied was secondary to the role of wife and mother. We've crossed that bridge already.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:34 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,096,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I guess because women in America have decided that they want a career first, then later on, they'll find a husband. However, the college age women should consult women in their 30's. This plan isn't working out for a lot of them.

Works perfectly fine for the vast majority. The number of weddings I get invited to an hear about are a testament.

The idea though that us peasants should look to royalty on how to live their lives is, of course, ludicrous.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:02 PM

48,590 posts, read 35,062,280 times
Quote:
@ bolded! Yes some people still do it & for good reason. At college you meet thousands of people or at encounter thousands. I know people who missed the opportunity to pull a husband then and are still single in their 40s.
What planet do you live on?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships