Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:51 PM

102,308 posts, read 108,445,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Basically, the type of work women studied was secondary to the role of wife and mother. We've crossed that bridge already.
This is progress. Too bad parts of Europe are still stuck in the 50's. And they have people like Dominique Strauss-Kahn to contend with, too. The concept of sexual harassment in the workplace, and putting policies in place to combat it, is still in its infancy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 06:03 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,493,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
What Katherine did is an unwritten rule in most European countries. That is, its expected that when a woman goes to college she comes home with a degree AS WELL AS a potential well to do HUSBAND. Basically you go to college for both. Why have Americans not figured this out yet?
That was once common, back when only the children of the elite went to college. Buts since the womes' movement of the 1970s, more and more women have decided to go to college to get an actual education. Imagine that!

Also, nowadays, many college campuses are so dominated by the "hook up" culture, dating isn't even that easy, never mind finding a marriage partner.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:37 PM

13,699 posts, read 9,793,471 times
Quote:
@ bolded really? I have observed quite the opposite, women who climb the ladder by stepping on every potential romantic partner''s toes to get to the top. Then when they want to settle down, all those suitos have vanished.
Yes, very much so. My locale is not known for economic vibrancy, but it's not a complete basket case, nor is it likely to be as conservative as say the American rural south. I do however find an astonishingly strong correlation between traditional domestic life and career/financial success. Attend an upper middle class dinner party, and essentially everyone is married. Divorce is rare, and those who are single are more likely to be widowed than divorced. There are plenty of women with thriving careers. It's not just a "man's world". But those women have husbands. On the other hand, attend a gathering in the so-called "working class", and quite likely many participants will be divorced or never-married, either living alone or in informal domestic arrangements. This applies equally to men and to women. The correlation of poor career success and unconventional living arrangements is not gendered.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:49 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,916,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I've met several attractive priests!!!
True story but when I became involved in church I met this nice looking guy. I then found out he was studying to be a priest. However he did eventually drop out of the seminary but is now involved with someone and I found out was too young for me anyway (he is 22).

Old 12-04-2013, 09:53 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,916,483 times
Quote:
@ bolded! Yes some people still do it & for good reason. At college you meet thousands of people or at encounter thousands. I know people who missed the opportunity to pull a husband then and are still single in their 40s.
But not all of these women met husbands. Others did and are now divorced and others are probably unhappy. Sure others met their husband and are happy but that's not all of them. Most of those that I know married their college sweethearts did so after many years of dating past college. In fact one couple met in 1991, graduated, and dated (and lived together)until 2005.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:53 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,820,230 times
I've always wanted to sift through the data, to see if what I have observed happens more often than not or if it is just my mind playing tricks on me.

I routinely see women majoring in the liberal arts or the humanities eventually settle down with men pursuing STEM degrees.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:31 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,235,732 times
Quote:
What Katherine did is an unwritten rule in most European countries. That is, its expected that when a woman goes to college she comes home with a degree AS WELL AS a potential well to do HUSBAND. Basically you go to college for both. Why have Americans not figured this out yet?
Aside from the fact that what Kate did isn't even true of all Englishwomen, Most women are not that desperate to rush and find someone just because they're in college.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:33 PM

102,308 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Notice that Princess Di never went to college, yet she managed to snag a prince.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:32 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,613,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I thought Americans invented that.

Have you never heard of the "MRS degree"?
Exactly. This isn't something America has yet to catch up to. This is something America did for generations and has finally mostly (though not entirely) moved beyond. There's no why a woman's reason for attending college should be any different from a man's.

Personally, I can't imagine how bad my life would be if I had married any of the women I dated in undergrad. Yikes. Tastes improve as the brain develops.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:59 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,709,938 times
Quote:
Someone said something about going to church to meet a husband. Its still not mainstream American only African Americans have that as part of their culture.
Hell no. They are just like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships