Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:41 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times

Advertisements

Anyone seen this?

Seems like something a lot of people should watch before saying "I do":

Divorce Corp Film Trailer (Documentary) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Yeah.

The greed for money is asstronomical!!!

All those lawyers walk the court house practically giving each other high fives. Even when working against one another.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:21 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Yeah.

The greed for money is asstronomical!!!

All those lawyers walk the court house practically giving each other high fives. Even when working against one another.
One of my attorneys held paperwork for ransom on me at one point. "Need this? It's going to cost you X." Never mind the disgusting amount he had already been paid up front. Meanwhile, one of my ex's attorneys has continued to file motions and petitions with court despite them being lies or cause his own client to go into contempt. He files motion as he's paid to do, then I have to pay my attorney to respond to it.

My ex doesn't see the problem with all this none sense because he's "fighting for whats right." No, you're gridlocking things in the courtroom at the tune of your son's college tuition (we're at year 3 of a Big 10 University for how much we've spent) in an attempt to get out paying child support (that hasn't been paid at all, we've been split well over a year and he's engaged to his mistress) while railroading me financially in an attempt to force me into bankruptcy.

Yeah, F**K marriage. It'll be a cold day in H*** before I sign that contract again.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:31 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_fly_12 View Post

Yeah, F**K marriage. It'll be a cold day in H*** before I sign that contract again.
LOL, yeah, I am with you there.

I lost a lot of money in the divorce... so did my Ex. And we mediated everything (not long court battle, etc.. in fact, we never stepped foot in a court room. We wrote our own divorce decree). You know who came out okay, the lawyers! That's why I tell people who are all focused on how much money they lose in a divorce. You might lose, but so does your Ex. The lawyers are the only ones who win.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:36 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
LOL, yeah, I am with you there.

I lost a lot of money in the divorce... so did my Ex. And we mediated everything (not long court battle, etc.. in fact, we never stepped foot in a court room. We wrote our own divorce decree). You know who came out okay, the lawyers! That's why I tell people who are all focused on how much money they lose in a divorce. You might lose, but so does your Ex. The lawyers are the only ones who win.

And, if you have ANY sense of doing what is 'best' for children involved, you'd minimize this. But, lawyers are good sales people. They will get you all revved up and ready to fight a battle!

(that they will gladly charge you for.... )

Old 12-11-2013, 05:56 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_fly_12 View Post
And, if you have ANY sense of doing what is 'best' for children involved, you'd minimize this. But, lawyers are good sales people. They will get you all revved up and ready to fight a battle!

(that they will gladly charge you for.... )
They tried that with me.

First, they wanted me to counter sue on grounds (not a no-fault divorce which he was suing me for*) because my Ex was cheating. I refused because the outcome would be the same (I'd be divorced) but I would be out more money.

Then they wanted me to sue for alimony. Again, I refused. Mainly because I am a proud person and I didn't want anything from my Ex other than to be free of him. Plus, I know him, he needs the money more than I do (he's a spend thrift and always in debt). I would feel bad knowing that I contributed to his decline into debt more... he can handle spiraling into debt on his own.

Funny thing about the alimony, it would have been $50 a month for 5-6 years (I was married for 13 years). Basically about a total of $3000-$3600 if it was a lump sum. It would have cost me about $5,400 in lawyers fees (assuming my Ex didn't fight back on it). Yeah, that made sense

I tend to be very even keeled and practical. I don't get into arguments and stay logical. So their trying to work me up into an emotional frenzy failed. But I can see where it would work for a more emotional person.

* I feel I should note that he never filed the paperwork, so technically I am the plaintiff and sued him. But he's the one who left, went to a lawyers office, told me he was divorcing me, etc.

Last edited by jillabean; 12-11-2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 06:17 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Seen the trailer. I might go watch it talk about the most powerful criminal organization in America - family courts.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:32 PM

599 posts, read 953,608 times
The film will make no difference.

As it says right in the trailer, divorce is a $50 Billion per year BUSINESS. As the recent actions of the Colorado legislature show, it is all about the green, and that will never change.

The only remedy is to not marry, and we are seeing that being implemented in slow motion, right now. Every day another bunch of young people get the message that marriage is for idiots. Eventually, either the lawmakers will get a clue and make divorce fair, which will allow people to marry again without fear, or marriage will simply become a quaint remembrance, something your grandparents did.

Interestingly, there is a lawsuit that has been filed in Connecticut by four men claiming the divorce laws there are unconstitutional. Why? Because they are so vague that no one can possibly know the consequences of marrying. Let's hope they make some headway.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:43 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Gays don't know what they have gotten themselves into.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:28 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
People who use lawyers to draw up divorce agreements are idiots.

Use a mediator. Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships