Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:40 AM

543 posts, read 534,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by variant View Post
Should I test it? Should we wager?

I'm a bettin' man. I think you're pure forum ham.
I took some of burlger09's advice. While I appreciated it very much, it got me nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 12:45 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyfat View Post
I'll join in here and say yes. I see less fat women in real life than I see using online dating. Actually I'd say the women I see in every day life off campus are even just better looking than those online.
That's probably true for 21-year-olds. In the demographic I date (late 20's through early 40's urban professionals) the women I meet from dating sites are very similar to the women I meet offline. There's a much larger pool of them online, though, so I'm much more likely to meet compatible people when I'm choosing from among hundreds or thousands of quality women instead of from among 10 or 20.

I recommend utilizing the tools that allow you to meet the most potential compatible dates. In a few years that will probably be dating sites (particularly if you're in a large urban area), but right now it's probably your campus.

8 or 9 years ago, Facebook was a great tool for people at universities to meet people to hook up with on their campus. That's pretty much what it was designed for, actually. I dated and hooked up with quite a few women I met on FB long before I used any actual dating websites. Unfortunately FB is no longer set up to serve that purpose, but surely there are other online resources that are? Does anyone know?

Old 01-06-2014, 02:19 PM

432 posts, read 491,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
I took some of burlger09's advice. While I appreciated it very much, it got me nowhere.
Indeed. I tried it years ago for a while. That's why I called him on it. It didn't make a lick of difference.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:37 PM

66 posts, read 57,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
That's probably true for 21-year-olds. In the demographic I date (late 20's through early 40's urban professionals) the women I meet from dating sites are very similar to the women I meet offline. There's a much larger pool of them online, though, so I'm much more likely to meet compatible people when I'm choosing from among hundreds or thousands of quality women instead of from among 10 or 20.

I recommend utilizing the tools that allow you to meet the most potential compatible dates. In a few years that will probably be dating sites (particularly if you're in a large urban area), but right now it's probably your campus.

8 or 9 years ago, Facebook was a great tool for people at universities to meet people to hook up with on their campus. That's pretty much what it was designed for, actually. I dated and hooked up with quite a few women I met on FB long before I used any actual dating websites. Unfortunately FB is no longer set up to serve that purpose, but surely there are other online resources that are? Does anyone know?
I've met some people through facebook. Of course I can't compare it to how it was almost a decade ago as I've only been on it for 5 years. I know there sites dedicated to hookups but I wouldn't really be into that.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I've met some people through facebook. Of course I can't compare it to how it was almost a decade ago as I've only been on it for 5 years. I know there sites dedicated to hookups but I wouldn't really be into that.
I meant "hookup" in the broadest sense of the term, not necessarily just casual sex. Substitute the word "dating" instead if you prefer.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I meant "hookup" in the broadest sense of the term, not necessarily just casual sex. Substitute the word "dating" instead if you prefer.
ah, totally missed that, I was a little confused. I think they do have apps and stuff like that but I feel all those would probably be like the bar/club scene where no one is really expecting anything serious.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
ah, totally missed that, I was a little confused. I think they do have apps and stuff like that but I feel all those would probably be like the bar/club scene where no one is really expecting anything serious.
You're 21. Few of your peers are going to be looking for anything serious, online or offline, unless you're Mormon or in the rural South.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:55 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
You're 21. Few of your peers are going to be looking for anything serious, online or offline, unless you're Mormon or in the rural South.

Seriously, in college and 21.. why the heck would you want anything serious? lol

Don't waste your time.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Serious as in lasting a few months and being exclusive before having sex. That's part of the problem with me and dating to be honest. I do not want to date a chick that's been with a ton of guys. Which makes it a pain because most the attractive women I'd meet at bars and such have been. So I can't just leave my engineering hovel and go pick up on some random bar chick and be happy.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:57 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by variant View Post
Indeed. I tried it years ago for a while. That's why I called him on it. It didn't make a lick of difference.
Well it works for me.

You're free to call me one it.. I don't care. I have no problems with women online and offline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships