Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 08:38 PM

769 posts, read 977,757 times

Advertisements

I prefer them to be degreed only because I spent 6 years of my life in college. Now with that being said if someone is in a skilled trade that is awesome. That takes many years of work to get to those levels. My dad was a machinist and was always in some sort of school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 09:51 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,101,328 times
for the record, a degree says nothing about intelligence. If anything, it's a sign of a certain level of stupidity. Yup, just because all the other people who didn't finish college are even STUPIDER, doesn't mean the college grad isn't stupid. At the very least, he's not highly intelligent.
I could never hack college because of how stifling, stupid, and grueling the work is. It's all entirely academic, with little REAL application. Even in STEM, it's like "Oh, you want to teach me MATLAB for the millionth time, even though no one uses it?". I'm already basically an engineer, regardless of what employers claim they're looking for. I know just as little as the grads there. Even now, I been looking at Stevens' engineering curriculum and I can see how blatantly devoid of REAL skills and training it is. I figure I gotta do of my auto-didact thing, in the context of this whole maker movement thing.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:30 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,605,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
for the record, a degree says nothing about intelligence.
We established that and moved on about 20 pages back.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:38 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,957,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
for the record, a degree says nothing about intelligence. If anything, it's a sign of a certain level of stupidity. Yup, just because all the other people who didn't finish college are even STUPIDER, doesn't mean the college grad isn't stupid. At the very least, he's not highly intelligent.
I could never hack college because of how stifling, stupid, and grueling the work is. It's all entirely academic, with little REAL application. Even in STEM, it's like "Oh, you want to teach me MATLAB for the millionth time, even though no one uses it?". I'm already basically an engineer, regardless of what employers claim they're looking for. I know just as little as the grads there. Even now, I been looking at Stevens' engineering curriculum and I can see how blatantly devoid of REAL skills and training it is. I figure I gotta do of my auto-didact thing, in the context of this whole maker movement thing.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:42 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,639,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
What I'm saying is that a degree vs non-degree isn't a good sample, because people without degrees can range so much. Take someone like meh_whatever's example who is a self taught programmer. He didn't go to college, however he did manage to teach himself programming languages and make it on his own. Plenty of other people are in skilled labor, who go there without a bachelors. Can you really call these people unsuccessful, anti-intellectual and unintelligent because they don't have a degree?
I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm looking at it from the point of view of the women who are running the ads and setting the criteria. In and of itself, it does not necessarily prove anything, but it is one indicator of an individual's likelihood to establish a goal and stick to their decision. You spent 4 years of your life doing something - making sacrifices, applying yourself, sticking to your plan because you had a goal.

Yeah, a lot of people make a good life for themselves without ever cracking a college text book, and a lot of people who do go to college coast through without making any real effort. Doesn't matter. You can find anecdotal counterexamples on either side of the argument, but it doesn't change the fact that by and large, a college degree is often a reasonably valid indicator of a certain degree of commitment and self-discipline. I don't have one myself, and because of that I have often been on the outside looking in at job opportunities that I could have done quite well at but didn't qualify for because I didn't have the degree - jobs that really did not require a college education at all - but I understood the reasoning behind it, and accepted that it was a logical thing to ask.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:34 PM

24 posts, read 20,927 times
I don't know how it is in other families, but in my family, getting an education is a sign of ambition and persistence that even if you're not that smart, you slogged thru that difficult major (math, science, engineering) and all those hard classes to finally attain that degree.

Personally, I have 2 bachelor's degrees in science with a professional certificate in a medical category(where I had to serve a long difficult 1-year internship for in a major hospital filled with DAILY lab/lecture class exams with barely any sleep) and I struggled hard to get all those degrees and certificate. So I will DEFINITELY list that I want someone with a college degree, especially in a difficult (and marketable enough to find a job) major.

If the guy doesn't have a degree, then he'd better be making LOTS of money with a secure job or the ambition to attain a high position in life with great personality qualities(like being generous, experienced in house repair/car skills, etc.) I don't want to tell my parents that my husband doesn't even have a degree (since they have college degrees also in law and english with my father having served in politics and been a very aggressive ambitious lawyer) unless there is a countervailing balance. Also, the more educated and/or successful my husband is, the more educated and/or successful my child will be.

Those are the only kind of guys I would be in a relationship with whether it be online or offline.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:39 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdy-girl View Post
I don't know how it is in other families, but in my family, getting an education is a sign of ambition and persistence that even if you're not that smart, you slogged thru that difficult major (math, science, engineering) and all those hard classes to finally attain that degree.

Personally, I have 2 bachelor's degrees in science with a professional certificate in a medical category and I struggled hard to get all those degrees and certificate. So I will DEFINITELY list that I want someone with a college degree, especially in a difficult (and marketable enough to find a job) major.

If the guy doesn't have a degree, then he'd better be making LOTS of money with a secure job or the ambition to attain a high position in life with great personality qualities(like being generous, experienced in house repair/car skills, etc.) I don't want to tell my parents that my husband doesn't even have a degree (since they have college degrees also in law and english with my father having served in politics) unless there is a countervailing balance.

Those are the only kind of guys I would be in a relationship with whether it be online or offline.
Very valid point, and well said. It's hard to argue with that! Congrats on your degrees!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:43 PM

24 posts, read 20,927 times
thanx, Ruth!! I just wish more families would let their daughters get degrees first and reach their highest ambition first before marrying.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:53 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,646,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdy-girl View Post
thanx, Ruth!! I just wish more families would let their daughters get degrees first and reach their highest ambition first before marrying.
What is stopping a female from getting her degree ? She does not need anyone's promission to do so last time I checked . This is not north korea or China for heavens sake.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:02 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,632,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Okay let's do that then. It doesn't matter what field the degree is in for most when they check that box.

It's not the degree itself, it's the actual act of completing a higher education program successfully and having the desire and drive to do so. Some folks want to date people that have followed the same path in life because they may share in the same kind of values and lifestyle.

In my opinion, if I check off a box stating a preference that the person have a degree, the person with a STEM degree is going to be equal to someone who went into the social sciences or liberal arts.
Thank you for this post. ANY degree takes dedication and time. A lot of people don't finish college because they just give up (not talking about people that have financial/family difficulty) and drop out. Getting any degree shows that a person has ambition and goals that they stuck to.

I am an English major and it has taken me longer than 4 years to get my degree because of budget cuts and changing of majors. Despite these obstacles, I have stuck to my goals. To have someone claim my degree is "useless" is a slap in the face to me and other people who push themselves to get through college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships