Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 03:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,382,825 times

Advertisements

See the link at CNN.com.

This has stirred up a lot of comments. Most people seem to think that this is a sign that society is going downhill, and many take issue with the fact that the ads are targeting women looking for "part-time lovers".

What do you think about the site? Would you use it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 03:47 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
This is capitalism. Where there's demand, someone will organize a supply to meet it. The market is blind to any potential moral issues.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:01 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,779,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
See the link at CNN.com.

This has stirred up a lot of comments. Most people seem to think that this is a sign that society is going downhill, and many take issue with the fact that the ads are targeting women looking for "part-time lovers".

I think it will cater to a growing need in our society. I would definitely use it.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:06 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,054,432 times
At least the site is honest about its expectations. So I see that as a good thing. Its not for me, but at least those who participate on the site shouldn't feel as though they have misled by anyone.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:08 PM

469 posts, read 567,490 times
Quote:
See the link at CNN.com.

although some may find it…. offensive, it's actually a pretty innovative business adventure. If she has a way of making money off of it without having any form of legal action performed against her because one of the users were injured, then she may make some money off of this. Overall, it'll be great amongst singles and those who are younger (college/mid-late twenty year olds). I don't see why there should be any backlash.

As long as the part time loving happens outside of a relationship, i don't have a problem with this.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:17 PM

7,453 posts, read 13,436,146 times
Great idea and great business idea. Wouldnt be surprised to see more sites along the same lines take off.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:33 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,738,036 times
Quote:
See the link at CNN.com.

That's just your take on it. What we call a bolleven in Denmark is a booty call arrangement, focused on primarily on no hassle sex, while the arrangements here call for an emotional attachment, but with the flexibility to maintain the independence of the partners in key areas of their lives that may well have nothing to do with extra-curricular sex.

The person behind this movement writes, ""We are not a no-strings website. We are for singles looking for regular partners with mutual attraction, genuine friendship, respect and a magical spark but whom have no expectations of moving in after three months and value their free time and independence," claims the site, which users must opt into via other, more established dating sites." She goes on to say that for this to work
the partners' emphasis is still on a genuine relationship, in that there is romance and sparks but "without all the monotony and obligation of a full-time relationship."

Relationships like this are increasing i Europe among older, retired single people who have their own family and social circles to which they are deeply committed, but still want to be engaged in an intimate relationship with a person of the opposite sex that does not challenge their other commitments to family and close friends they've had for many years. There is no reason it can't trickle down to younger professionals, whose lives are focused on their careers and social circles that reinforce their careers.

It makes eminently good sense to me and the flexibility it provides can work in favor of both partners to pursue different roles in their different relationships. I see it as anything other than creating a bolleven culture for sex-crazed individuals.

And I don't see that it any way threatens the traditional romantic model, since a major purpose of the movement is to fins a more flexible way for romance, intimacy and passion to survive in highly differentiated society where people are pulled i many directions and meeting all of one's commitments in a traditional marriage framework creates a great deal of tension and anxiety.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:42 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
That's just your take on it. What we call a bolleven in Denmark is a booty call arrangement,
Bolle-ven = "balling friend" or what Americans call "f**k-buddy".

Old 01-29-2014, 06:02 PM

48,559 posts, read 34,927,283 times
I think it makes sense. Would I use it? Sure, if I were looking for a FWB. DH prefers that I don't.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-29-2014, 06:44 PM

7,453 posts, read 13,436,146 times
I'd say a site like that would attract a good number of trolls. One of the main challenges I'd say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships