Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:19 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,030,437 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, long time no see! I have to vent for a bit, I try to not be a "nitpicky" person, but sometimes I can't help it...anyways...here I go. Some background info on me:

DH and I are newlyweds, a little over than a year but he has always been extremely cynical. I have ignored it often, but it has gotten to me very much especially last night. He has always had tantrums as a kid & grew up a very spoiled child. The exact opposite of me---we have very different upbringings. I am an American of Hispanic/Caribbean descent & was taught the value of hard work, to never complain, etc.. My parents are immigrants to the USA, I'm black. He is from Spain, white, grew up in an abusive, dysfunctional household & his mother is kind, but a very weak, enabling woman. He grew up in a small town. I'm not saying I'm better than him, but we have very different outlooks on life. He has only been in the USA for almost 2 years now.

He is 11 yrs older than me (36) & I am 25. I have a college education & he is pursuing a degree here in the US.

Basically, he has very negative energy & has a very short fuse/hotheaded temper. For example, he bought a used car over the weekend & the SRS light/Emissions light came on. He is very dramatic like a good Spaniard & says his life is horrible, that living in the USA is a living hell, & that he is having a very hard time adjusting. In short, he complains about EVERYTHING & it drives me NUTS .

Before everyone thinks I am the Pollyanna here, he does have very good traits. He is patient with me, a good provider, listener, & lover, but when he has little tantrum/blowouts--I don't know what I am supposed to do...

I feel like he brings on a lot of negative energy on himself? Any advice? I don't know if he can change his mindset, he has a come A LONG WAY from where he once was. He calls himself a "realist." I am sure it is because of his background. Please no one attack me. I'm a bit emotional & PMSing too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 05:24 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
No need to attack you, but wouldn't this have come up before you were married..?

Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM

805 posts, read 1,559,003 times
I have found that some people generally have a negativity bias to almost everything in the world. It's like they perceive the world as a place out to get them, so they are constantly defensive and alert to slights. They can change but it takes work.
And I was married 14 years to a person like that, now my ex. It was exhausting. If someone parked in front of our house he would stomp around hollering "why do they have to pick our house to park in front of. I don't want to look at that stupid car all day".

I wish you luck.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
No need to attack you, but wouldn't this have come up before you were married..?
Believe me, it came up. We worked through it. I try to look at his better qualities but man, when he is mad, he is mad. Its like "if daddy ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"

Old 03-05-2014, 05:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
The only thing I can suggest is not to take on his emotions when he has an outburst.

Don't try to rush in and placate or solve or comfort. His behavior is unacceptable, so in the moment, you walk away.

It's a personality problem, though, and won't go away without intensive therapy.

In short, disengage in the moment. You can try to talk to him about it in general, but like I said, therapy is the only answer. He sounds like a big baby.

And please use reliable birth control. He is in NO WAY ready to be a parent.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
I have found that some people generally have a negativity bias to almost everything in the world. It's like they perceive the world as a place out to get them, so they are constantly defensive and alert to slights. They can change but it takes work.
And I was married 14 years to a person like that, now my ex. It was exhausting. If someone parked in front of our house he would stomp around hollering "why do they have to pick our house to park in front of. I don't want to look at that stupid car all day".

I wish you luck.

That's how I feel like he is, not about every little thing, but MANY things lol. His sister & mom are like that too, very negative & constantly defensive. Don't get me wrong, they are nice people. But they call everyone "thieves, etc." A very third-world mindset if you will. My parents are immigrants from Latin America & the Caribbean & I've met people who have that kind of mindset too...I'm not trying to sound elitist but I feel like it sometimes is perceived by not having an education.

Although there are many people who are socially & academically intelligent w/o having gone to college.

Last edited by Chanteuse d' Opéra; 03-05-2014 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-05-2014, 05:32 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Believe me, it came up. We worked through it. I try to look at his better qualities but man, when he is mad, he is mad. Its like "if daddy ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"
I have delt with a 2 year relationship with a person like this. I don't have much that I can tell you, because I ended the relationship. It was mentally exhausting. I feel your pain and understand you, but apart from having him go to a psychologist.. I don't have any advice I can give you.

Good luck

Old 03-05-2014, 05:33 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
It came up before marriage and you married him anyway. Did you think marriage was going to change him?
You both need to seek therapy, him for his childish tantrums and you to try and figure out why you voluntarily married this guy knowing about this issue.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The only thing I can suggest is not to take on his emotions when he has an outburst.

Don't try to rush in and placate or solve or comfort. His behavior is unacceptable, so in the moment, you walk away.

It's a personality problem, though, and won't go away without intensive therapy.

In short, disengage in the moment. You can try to talk to him about it in general, but like I said, therapy is the only answer. He sounds like a big baby.

And please use reliable birth control. He is in NO WAY ready to be a parent.
Thanks Wmsn4life, yeah I'm trying to be rational about everything & yes we are using protection haha. I also believe it takes alot to "rework" that kind of personality issue. Thanks for your kind advice.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It came up before marriage and you married him anyway. Did you think marriage was going to change him?
You both need to seek therapy, him for his childish tantrums and you to try and figure out why you voluntarily married this guy knowing about this issue.

No, actually, I am not one of those women trying to change him after the marriage. He knows my faults & I know his & I can agree that we should both go to counseling..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships