Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 03:11 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
So you don't post personal pictures of yourself on facebook. One could ask "what are you hiding?"

The better question is; what is the difference between me talking down old photos and you not posting photos?

Wait, in your brain the one taking the pictures down is trying to hide something, regrets the past, blah, blah, blah. Meanwhile, you not posting a personal picture is perfectly fine. The dichotomy is interesting.
Only an idiot would ask a person why they don't want the whole world to see their personal stuff.

I find it way more questionable to have the need to tell everybody what you are doing right now, what you are thinking about it and post pictures and wise quotes of smart people who are long dead. Seriously, these people need to get a life - and REAL friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 03:16 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,593 times
I quit using FB altogether - remember when you picked up your phone to talk to your friends, your real friends? Remember when you didn't have to worry about pictures, and status' and what someone said on your fb page, or theirs or who liked what they said?
Life is just fine without it.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
what do you do with all the pics with you and your ex in them after you breakup? Do you go through them and remove all of them? What about group pics with your other friends that have your ex in them?? Would it bother you if you saw your significant other's ex in his/her older pics?

Set all the ones with just the two of you so that only you can see them. Leave the group photos. I mean, it's part of your past and there are probably other people in them that you didn't break up with, no?

Old 03-14-2014, 04:58 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,650 times
I just left them. I don't ever really rifle through other peoples old photos on FB, so I guess it never occurred to me. Of course I would change my default picture (goes without saying) but I just do not have the time/energy/care to go through deleting and untagging everything. My last ex took it upon himself to remove ALL of our pictures like a year later, which I thought was a bit passive aggressive, but whatever.

I usually would just unfriend and forget about it.

My current bf of three years has never said anything even from the beginning, but he's hardly active on FB to begin with.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:27 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I keep my pictures. I don't take many pictures, and if I do I do not put them on Facebook.

I don't understand why Facebook is such a big deal to everyone. My facebook still says im in a relationship with my ex, and I have a new gf lol
I don't have a relationship status at all on mine, and I've been with my guy for 4.5 years.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:46 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
I quit using FB altogether - remember when you picked up your phone to talk to your friends, your real friends? Remember when you didn't have to worry about pictures, and status' and what someone said on your fb page, or theirs or who liked what they said?
"I quit using FB altogether "

Ditto-FB is like a junk drawer full of crap that you can't close. You get on to your former BF or GF page and look at how fing happy they are with the person they replaced you with...Yeah, F you Mark Elliot Zuckerberg

Old 03-14-2014, 06:23 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Only an idiot would ask a person why they don't want the whole world to see their personal stuff.

I find it way more questionable to have the need to tell everybody what you are doing right now, what you are thinking about it and post pictures and wise quotes of smart people who are long dead. Seriously, these people need to get a life - and REAL friends.
Only an idiot would take to task someone who decided to delete old photos of them, their ex and those who are together. For the same exact reason.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:18 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,234,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
but isn't that the fault of the facebook user? and not facebook? a very good friend of mine just posted a few days ago on facebook that she is quitting facebook. she said pretty much what you just said here. then she said "if i don't have your contact information please message me". ha! really? if you don't already have their contact information, isn't that your fault? it's not facebooks fault. if facebook is taking over your life, then that is your problem. if you have no friends in real life except for facebook friends...then that is a problem within yourself that i would think you need to work on.

i am not a big fan of facebook. i am on there rarely. but i do think it can be a good thing. i do like seeing some photos that get posted from friends. uh...pictures of things that they are out doing with, you know, real live people! imagine that! they DO have real friends in real life AND also have a facebook profile. interesting how that can be done. i am not a fan of the daily posts about what they are eating or where they are every minute of the day or personal struggles they are having. could really do without the political stuff. i think those are silly and sometimes boggles my mind, but to each their own! a lot of people are an open book. i am much more introverted and private for that.

if someone is spending too much time and/or posting too much on a social media site i think that is the problem for them. i don't think you can blame social media for the fact that you can't step away from the computer and go outside and do something with real human beings.

if my friend really "quits facebook" i will miss seeing her post a random picture of her daughter every now and then or updating her profile picture or some cute thing she may say. but again, i am not on there that much and actually neither is she. i'm not sure why she is so mad at facebook. but we don't live that close anymore to be able to see each other in person often and i don't like to talk on the phone. i do prefer to get together and talk in person. never been a phone person. being able to see stuff posted is nice, i can see some things she has been doing and see pictures of her and her daughter that i would not normally get to see. how often do people go to someones house and go through their computers looking at their pictures? rarely are people printing out pictures and putting them in photo albums anymore. social media is good for sharing these things with family and friends.

facebook can have negative affects on people and relationships. but this horse has been beaten to death here on cd, so i'm not going to kick it again.

i just realized i used the word facebook a dozen times in this one post. oh well...

Old 03-15-2014, 03:27 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Even with fine breakups on good terms I still remove pictures of ex's while in relationships from my fb. I personally do not think if I meet a new girl and she's looking through my fb pictures, she would like to see tons of pictures of me and another girl on trips, etc. etc.

There's no right or wrong answer here really, it's all up to the person. I was surprised when my last ex left pictures of us up for so long after we broke up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships