Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 05:42 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
As a guy who was looking in an PhD in Econ as a young lad...they don't earn much. Depending on the subject he may not even have a job afterward. For example, English and Philosophy PhD's are notorious for being unemployed afterward and many just end up going to Law School anyway. Unless the PhD is engineering even science PhD's are pretty irrelevant in the work force.

So, if you see this guy as Mr. Stability as opposed to the Antithesis of Mr. Bartender chances are Mr. Bartender--if he got his act together--would provide a more stable life. I dated a bartender once in the distant past and she earned an awesome income from tips and she was sexy and fun.

So, if you only see this guy as Mr. Stability and that is your only reason for giving him a second chance don't bother.
He's an engineering grad.

I don't see him as Mr Stability at all. Mr Bartender earned a lot of money and it didn't prevent me from cutting him loose. My interest in someone doesn't depend on their job.

Hence, the guy I went on a date with is not Mr Stability in any way. I'm not looking for someone to take care of me or provide for me. I'm looking for well ... love as the end goal.

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 03-19-2014 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 05:44 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Why did you break up with the other guy?

Old 03-19-2014, 05:52 PM

867 posts, read 909,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yah, why did you break up with the other guy?

As for love being the end goal. Sounds like a good goal to me. As for a PhD in engineering he'll make tons of money afterward...but love is the end goal. To be honest I'm rooting for Mr. Bartender. But that's me.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:52 PM

158 posts, read 382,691 times
I say pick neither.
A is too boring, D is too exciting.
Keep searching, maybe there is a C or a B somewhere in the world.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
He didn't want a serious relationship and was in it for sex. Even though he had told me I was the only girl he ever truly clicked with on a mental level, he managed to tell me to the exact opposite statement weeks later. He claimed he was only attracted to me in a sexual way when it's crystal clear we had more than just a physical chemistry (considering the fact we'd spend hours debating on random intellectual subjects). He had no clue what he wanted, blowing hot and cold. I cut him loose for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkk2chane View Post
I say pick neither.
A is too boring, D is too exciting.
Keep searching, maybe there is a C or a B somewhere in the world.
A balanced mix of these two is exactly what I'm looking for. That's what I've been telling myself for the past few days!
A is indeed boring and that's the problem. I want a guy with a bit of excitement.
D was all over the place emotionally and career-wise too.

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 03-19-2014 at 06:10 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 05:59 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
He's an engineering grad.

I don't see him as Mr Stability at all. Mr Bartender earned a lot of money and it didn't prevent me from cutting him loose. My interest in someone doesn't depend on their job. Hence, the guy I'm currently seeing is not Mr Stability in any way. I'm not looking for someone to take care of me or provide for me. I'm looking for well ... love as the end goal.
Is this the man you have been on one date with or someone else? I'm confused as I don't think I would attach this label to a man I have dated once.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Is this the man you have been on one date with or someone else? I'm confused as I don't think I would attach this label to a man I have dated once.
Exact. I didn't phrase my sentence properly. I should have said the man I went on a date with (wanted to make a shorter sentence). I corrected it.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:07 PM

867 posts, read 909,348 times
Well another satisfied customer on City Data sounds like a second date is a no go.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:34 PM

532 posts, read 1,177,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Go on the date with A. You never know, he may grow on you. You said a serious relationship with a guy like that is exactly what you want. Give yourself a chance to get to know him better; maybe he'll show a fun side. A 2nd date can't hurt.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't want someone to continue dating me in hopes I'd "grow" on them. If you really don't feel it by the first date, and have extreme thoughts like you feel you'd cheat on him, listen to your intuition. You CAN find a guy in the future that has what you're looking for and doesn't have to grow on you or make you bored. If you even have to THINK you'd possibly do that with somebody, they aren't for you! Move on for both of your sakes. Especially his. You need to get yourself together a bit more before dating girly.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:07 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
This is a confusing thread.

Sometimes chemistry is instant, sometimes it grows after a few dates. I would see him one more time if I were you. But everytime someone says that, it seems like you want to talk yourself out of it? That's why I'm confused.

Its just one guy and one date. If you really don't want to be bothered again, don't. No one is going to die over it, ya know? LOL. Seriously, don't overthink it. If the thought of another date causes you angst then don't bother... there are more guys in the world.
Yeah, chemistry doesn't always happen instantly. I see no problem with a 2nd date, except that you're feeling very confused. But you wouldn't be leading him on to have a 2nd date. No one expects any guarantees from the dating process after just one or two dates. It's not an engagement.

But if you're having this much difficulty deciding, maybe dating isn't for you, right now. Maybe counseling is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships