Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:58 AM

639 posts, read 679,068 times

Advertisements

women tend to love qualities in men that they don't have themselves. Most of them seeks for things that complete them. some of the basic is,

for a guy to be clean, fresh hair cut, knows what he want, respectful, and being who you really are and not trying to be someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 03:04 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Great posts, people.

- NO WOMEN ISSUES. No misogynists. Must enjoy loving women. Must see women as PEOPLE.
- No serious, debilitating hang-ups. Must be reasonably confident and have a positive attitude and outlook on life.
- Must be OPEN to experiencing life, trying new things. Open-minded too, but not all over the place.
- Intelligent and curious, but not obnoxious.
- NO ADDICTIONS! Can't emphasize that one enough.
- Must be capable of loving another person; in touch with his feelings but not overly mushy or needy.
- Must take care of himself physically. No smoking. Works out, but doesn't have to be "buff".
- Must be driven, pursuing something outside of himself via his career, hobbies (watching movies and playing video games doesn't count)
- Must be logical and realistic in his assessment of himself and others. No insane entitlement. Must be independent and take responsibility for improving his own life.

And, must love dogs. Just kidding.
+1. The first requirement is hands down the most basic but you'll run into a lot of those on these forums!

Old 03-26-2014, 03:33 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
well- since you asked- and this truly is beyond the basics- but it has always puzzled me why more women don't look for a man with basic handyman skills. It's a total turnoff to me when a man can't do things the most rudimentary household tasks like switch out a light fixture, fix a faucet, unclog a drain, hang a ceiling fan, replace brakes or do a tuneup on a car- seriously do you realize how many TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars you would save over a lifetime if he would just take the time to learn a few basic skills rather than pay someone else every time you need a picture hung? Yes women could learn these skills too- but you did ask about men. Sometime I watch HGTV shows like Renovation Realities and these guys just look so wimpy and pathetic to me not to mention clueless. I guess I just got lucky in my relationships- or maybe this was a higher priority on my list than other women place on it.
Now see, that doesn't matter to me at all, especially in light of the fact that I can do many of these things myself. It's really low on my list. I like a man who is intellectual, kind and passionate. I don't care if he can do a tune-up on a car or not. I can always buy that kind of expertise. I can't buy love or compatibility.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:26 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times
Yeah, I'm fine with being the family handyperson.

And it's funny that y'all bring up complementary skills, because I was just thinking to post about that .

I want someone who has a skill I do not: navigating the medical system. This will become important as we get older, and I suck at it! I can learn, but it will help to have someone to learn from.

I also want someone who does a thing for me that I have always done for my partners (but have not always had reciprocated). I want a partner who outspokenly admires my accomplishments in life, talks about them to their friends, is impressed by them, etc. This feels selfish to ask for, but I think it's absence has, in retrospect, been a red flag. I am proud of what I have done, and I want someone who is proud of me.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:06 AM

231 posts, read 264,721 times
Hard worker is one of the top priorities for me.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:12 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
well- since you asked- and this truly is beyond the basics- but it has always puzzled me why more women don't look for a man with basic handyman skills. It's a total turnoff to me when a man can't do things the most rudimentary household tasks like switch out a light fixture, fix a faucet, unclog a drain, hang a ceiling fan, replace brakes or do a tuneup on a car- seriously do you realize how many TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars you would save over a lifetime if he would just take the time to learn a few basic skills rather than pay someone else every time you need a picture hung? Yes women could learn these skills too- but you did ask about men. Sometime I watch HGTV shows like Renovation Realities and these guys just look so wimpy and pathetic to me not to mention clueless. I guess I just got lucky in my relationships- or maybe this was a higher priority on my list than other women place on it.

Time together is more important to me. If we are both working and want to spend our time off together, I'd let my fingers do the walking thru the yellow pages and find someone to take care of a repair -- assuming we could afford to do that. I don't expect men to have a double set of skills like that. Now it can be fun trying to figure out how to fix something sometimes, but oftentimes the fun part disappears really quickly! I never want a man thinking after he has worked all week that he is coming home to a honey do list.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:16 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Yeah, I'm fine with being the family handyperson.

And it's funny that y'all bring up complementary skills, because I was just thinking to post about that .

I want someone who has a skill I do not: navigating the medical system. This will become important as we get older, and I suck at it! I can learn, but it will help to have someone to learn from.

I also want someone who does a thing for me that I have always done for my partners (but have not always had reciprocated). I want a partner who outspokenly admires my accomplishments in life, talks about them to their friends, is impressed by them, etc. This feels selfish to ask for, but I think it's absence has, in retrospect, been a red flag. I am proud of what I have done, and I want someone who is proud of me.
I agree, and I don't think it's selfish at all.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:08 PM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
You know Noah from Notebook?
Well don't be like him in his younger years wasting time.
Be like him in his older years never leaving her side.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:56 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Stop crying baby. lol

Old 03-26-2014, 08:26 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times
Thank you, homina .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships