Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,280 times

Advertisements

Would you date ,relationship,marry a person who has depression and has to take prozac everyday for 3 years . Also goes to counselling to see doctor.
Why or why not. Tell me reasons
Anyone met anyone like this and whats it like
Stories ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 12:26 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Everyone is different. No one can answer you. Do you like her? Is the depression harming the relationship? Are her positive attributes worth dealing with her depression?

Old 04-13-2014, 05:09 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treds124 View Post
Would you date ,relationship,marry a person who has depression and has to take prozac everyday for 3 years . Also goes to counselling to see doctor.
Why or why not. Tell me reasons
Anyone met anyone like this and whats it like
Stories ??
Depends on the individual.

I feel most people who are severely depressed need professional help, rather than a romantic relationship.

Some folks have this notion that they can rescue a depressed person if they love him or her. It has nothing to do with love. Romantic love's normal ups and downs can sometimes make their illness/condition worse. Don't take it personally. It has nothing to do with you, your ability to love, or your characters.

I personally won't date somebody who has suicidal tendency, been there done that, I know better now.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:02 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times
Are you already dating her? If so, wait for her attention to drift off you before breaking up, if that is what you have in mind to do. You dont sound like you want to be a contribution to her depression, and breaking an existing relationship off abruptly certainly will contribute. If you care about her at all, wean her off of you slowly.

If you are considering dating her, please bare in mind that she might never grow out of the problem. If you are so infatuated with her that you would be willing to be constantly concerned about her, awesome! I mean, people should be concerned about their partners anyway, but she is a special case and needs special handling.

If you are just looking to get laid and then dump her if something better comes along, do a more stable girl the negative favor. Peace.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:12 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
I wouldn't.

One of my good friends married a girl in this exact situation. He makes a ton of money and did all he could to help her. Sent her to counseling....bought her dogs....moved her mother into his home. He did all the right things and she never got better. She stopped having sex and tuned out 100% to him. She made his life a living hell.

Everyone has their own opinion on this topic.

I just happen to be a happy healthy guy and I expect my partner to be the same.

Stress is one thing. Emotional instability...no way.

I personally will not enter relationship with a woman that is bipolar or has any type of issue with depression.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:16 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
Why not !!!!

I assume that your prefect !!!!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Depends on the individual.

I feel most people who are severely depressed need professional help, rather than a romantic relationship.

Some folks have this notion that they can rescue a depressed person if they love him or her. It has nothing to do with love. Romantic love's normal ups and downs can sometimes make their illness/condition worse. Don't take it personally. It has nothing to do with you, your ability to love, or your characters.

I personally won't date somebody who has suicidal tendency, been there done that, I know better now.
Exactly. It's like trying to save an alcoholic or drug addict --- relationships are not what will save them.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:31 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
I personally wouldn't do it. I grew up with a mentally ill parent and it's not fun.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:00 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,903,386 times
More than likely, NO. But I would look at her case (for lack of a better word) based on its on individual merits before making the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
So real.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:25 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
The answers will vary depending on the people involved.

There isn't any universal answer here. If there is, most likely people would choose to "uncomplicated" their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships