Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 01:25 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Okay, Pause...legit question.

A lot of people are posting Game of Thrones characters. I've NOT watched the HBO series. I AM reading the books, and am partway through the novel series. What I'm noticing is that (sadly not unlike the vast majority of popular books in the fantasy-scifi genre), the women characters are drawn REALLY weakly. I have to assume that the people who are all about the female GoT characters are all about them due to the show, and not the books. I'm hoping they're less one-dimensional in the show than they are in the books. Or is it just about the actresses being pretty? Serious question, no judgment. In the books, the females are, by and large, just kind of "meh."
I haven't read any of the books. I've watched GOT from the beginning on HBO. Some of the ladies on the HBO version have different strengths, always thinking, some are manipulative. I enjoy watching...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 01:26 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
The OP clearly said "fictional characters," not actors who play them.

My example was Data from Star Trek TNG. I don't find Brent Spiner, the actor who plays him, attractive at all. But the character Data, I find very attractive.

I wonder how many women would still pick Rick or Shane from Walking Dead if they weren't played by good-looking actors.
Shane the character was a major DB. Doesn't speak highly of the women that liked the guy

Old 04-22-2014, 01:26 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester

2. SUPERMAN

3. Gintama - Sakata Gintoki

Gintama - Sakata Gintoki - YouTube

4. Sherlock Holmes

5. all James Dean's characters

James Dean's Best Performance (with subtitles) - YouTube

6. last but not least

The Rock - Hummel get ready speech - YouTube

General Hummel - American Force Recon Marine

Old 04-22-2014, 01:28 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
He certainly wouldn't be the first mysogynistic fantasy author. Thus far, in the novels, the ONLY female character that is even a little interesting is Arya Stark. I've read things where Martin is praised for writing strong female characters, but, eh. Not seeing it yet, in any pervasive way. I'm not usually a fantasy reader, though, so it's possible my expectations are a bit high. Maybe these women are strong, for the genre.

the "I like the actor" vs. the "I like the character" thing is why it's more interesting to me to go with literary characters than film characters.
I don't know how far you are in the books, but there are a few. Arya, Brienne and Melissandra are a few...and there's a couple others that flex their muscle in the political arena rather than in battle, which I find intriguing. If you DO decide to watch the show, the female characters are fleshed out a little bit better in my opinion.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Some of the characters happen to be attractive though.
That's why, as Tabula mentioned....literature is a better example for this, so the two are more easily separated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
The OP clearly said "fictional characters," not actors who play them.

My example was Data from Star Trek TNG. I don't find Brent Spiner, the actor who plays him, attractive at all. But the character Data, I find very attractive.

I wonder how many women would still pick Rick or Shane from Walking Dead if they weren't played by good-looking actors.
Or Gambit......exactly. I don't care for Sarah Clarke's looks, but I LOVE the Nina Myers character on 24.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post
Sherlock Holmes!!
That makes the two of us. !!!!

But only the Jeremy Brett's version of Sherlock

Jeremy Brett Tribute 2012 - YouTube

Old 04-22-2014, 01:37 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Sherlock Holmes would be a terrible boyfriend, IMO. He's a drug addict, for one, and he's misanthropic with a superiority complex and also practically asexual.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:39 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
That's why, as Tabula mentioned....literature is a better example for this, so the two are more easily separated.
That's true but there are so many pieces of literature that have been made into movies and the characters were portrayed by good looking actors/actresses.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Sherlock Holmes would be a terrible boyfriend, IMO. He's a drug addict, for one, and he's misanthropic with a superiority complex and also practically asexual.
That's perhaps true. Never really thought about it though.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
That's true but there are so many pieces of literature that have been made into movies and the characters were portrayed by good looking actors/actresses.
Well, if someone is unable to separate the two, they probably can't contribute much. I think Jennifer Love Hewitt is crazy hot, but I wouldn't want to deal with any of her made-for-TV movie characters. As I understand it, the OP was about the character themselves that you'd be attracted to date, not the person playing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships