Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:47 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

I know your culture is tough about this. I have a coworker who is Indian. She was married once to a Latino guy, then divorced, and now has lived with another Latino man for 15 years. They own a house together.

Not long ago she went to a family wedding--and brought her boyfriend--and one of her aunts pulled her aside and said, "You know, we can find an Indian man for you." As if she was only with her boyfriend because she couldn't find an Indian man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 08:20 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
The question still remains, why don't you like Indian chicks. Indian chicks from India, Indian chicks from America, Americanized Indian chicks, or American born Indian chicks.

What does it matter? He likes what he likes.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:23 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brofessional View Post
So against my better judgement I took my gf to my parents dinner party. I though I could just keep her away from my parents by introducing her to my old friends. However, my mom was able to spot the one white person at the house and correctly deduced that she was my gf. My parents flipped out and now I'm no longer their son until I dump her and submit to an arranged marriage. For all intents and purposes I've been disowned because I have no intention of dumping her. I can live with it but my gf is pretty distraught over it and is asking me how she can get their approval. To make this night up to her I'm going to dedicate tomorrow to what she wants to do. But then what? I don't think she can let things go easily.
You just posted last week asking how you could convince them to like her so you would not get disowned and lose your inheritance.

That was a pretty quick change of perspective.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:23 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brofessional View Post
I was born here. I am a self sufficient adult and my attitude IS American. Their finances mean nothing to me, all their assets are going to my brother when they die because he did everything right ( marry an Indian and pay them lip service) a sufficient portion of it also going to my sister's future dowry. As the 3rd of 4 kids I'm getting nothing.
If that's the case then tell them to go fu** themselves. Just because they are family doesn't mean you have to put up with their bigoted closed minded shenanigans. Live your life the way you want to live it, if they can't accept that then make your own family.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:25 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You just posted last week asking how you could convince them to like her so you would not get disowned and lose your inheritance.

That was a pretty quick change of perspective.
B.S thread. ......check. lol

Old 05-27-2014, 08:57 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,766 times
What's wrong with Indian chicks? They are some of the most beautiful women in the world, in my opinion. The fact that you refuse to say what is wrong with them makes me think it's because of some superficial bs reason.

It seems like every race of man has been brainwashed into thinking white and blonde is better. SMH.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,400,610 times
I like that this all went down in a couple of hours and your first instinct was to post about it on the internet.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:42 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afternoon Napper View Post
not much you can do op, although you gotta understand your parents have your best intentions at heart. goris are nothing but trouble, especially from america.

i'm not really that racist (maybe like a 4 out of 10), don't really care who's poking on who. but i'm definitely against mixed children/marriages. it's just all around bad and confusing for everyone.

Ummmmm, NO.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:09 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
You're choices are: a) buckle under to your parents' demands or b) to continue adapting to the culture in which you live so as to improve your life and the life of the family you choose to start. Whether they eventually reconcile themselves to choice b, if you take that route, is not in your own heads.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:16 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,426,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, got nothing for you.

I know this kind of thing happens in some cultures, but for the most part not so much to Americans.

Best I can say is, since you now live in America try to be more American in your attitudes and develop some self respect.

Of course this might mean walking away from their financial support in order to be independent of them but that's what most of us here would do.
^^^ This.

Now that you are in America Brofessional you really should try to adopt our attitudes on life when it comes to relationships. Since this is a cultural issue with your family that they brought with them from their homeland, its probably useless to get them to change, which is why its important that YOU be the change.

If financial assistance and/or "atta boy" from your parents is more important to you than finding love for yourself or risking losing someone who could be your "soul mate" and/or future bride then go ahead and put your parents views/wants/desires before your own. This is NOT the American way. To me, this is an easy easy easy easy easy thing to do.

Do what makes YOU happen, not what makes someone else happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships