Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:28 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingWomanMyAge View Post
yes
yes
yes
no

Several years ago I had good results with meeting dates on OKC but only one turned LT. I dated a woman I met on OKC over 2 years before she ended it, I believe because she just couldn't carry on after 2 failed marriages. I tried it in again after the breakup and found many of the same women I had seen over 2 years earlier. I'm guessing they never left LOL. In my opinion the site is a good place to meet dates but perhaps not for a LTR. Since it's free it probably attracts the hook-up mindset. I wouldn't use it again.
You're going to have the hookup mentality on any dating site, free or not. Free dating sites typically are BETTER, since they don't waste your hard earned cash that you could blow on a date instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 11:39 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
You're going to have the hookup mentality on any dating site, free or not. Free dating sites typically are BETTER, since they don't waste your hard earned cash that you could blow on a date instead.
I still say that the best free site in 2014 is craigslist

Old 06-01-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I know little about CL, since I have a acct but only browse, but I HAVE had luck with DateHookup.com® 100% Free Dating Site & Free Online Dating

Old 06-01-2014, 11:44 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
It's also the best site for free clinics, as they probably get a lot of patients and donations from all the people who use it to screw around with random strangers.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
It's also the best site for free clinics, as they probably get a lot of patients and donations from all the people who use it to screw around with random strangers.
Granted, many of them might throw caution to the wind!

Old 06-01-2014, 12:03 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Got responses to your messages? Yes
Got messages that turned into actual dates? No
Dates turned into actual relationships? No
Relationships turned into marriage? No

I signed up about a year and a half ago. I've gotten exactly four messages from women. The first just said "Hi". I responded and never heard from her again. The second one I got to know a little bit through several messages, then she stopped responding. The third I messaged once or twice, but her messages were almost indecipherable. I think she may have been mentally challenged. The most recent message was so fishy I think it may have been some sort of spam. All of this is just as well, because I have yet to find anyone on there whom I'd actually be interested in meeting.

*Note: Until recently I was also in a committed relationship for the last nine months, so I changed my profile to reflect that and never checked the site during that time. I've only recently begun looking at it again.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Got responses to your messages? Yes
Got messages that turned into actual dates? No
Dates turned into actual relationships? No
Relationships turned into marriage? No

I signed up about a year and a half ago. I've gotten exactly four messages from women. The first just said "Hi". I responded and never heard from her again. The second one I got to know a little bit through several messages, then she stopped responding. The third I messaged once or twice, but her messages were almost indecipherable. I think she may have been mentally challenged. The most recent message was so fishy I think it may have been some sort of spam. All of this is just as well, because I have yet to find anyone on there whom I'd actually be interested in meeting.

*Note: Until recently I was also in a committed relationship for the last nine months, so I changed my profile to reflect that and never checked the site during that time. I've only recently begun looking at it again.
On what site?

Old 06-01-2014, 01:47 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
On what site?
OKCupid

Old 06-02-2014, 01:05 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Have you:

Got responses to your messages?
Got messages that turned into actual dates?
Dates turned into actual relationships?
Relationships turned into marriage?

I hear in the online dating world there is a lot of serial dating as people have so much choice they are always of the mindset that there is something better out there, this is especially true for women who get inundated with replies. Do you think there is any truth to this?
Have profile at OKC and another free site.
Admit I don't often send out msgs. and when I have, there's rarely a reply.

I do reply (with a "thanks but no thanks") to most of the people who write to me first,
they're usually quite incompatible (with what I seek in a partner) when I check their profiles.

Very few occasions I've actually met up with a person from OLD.
None of those resulted in "chemistry/clicking/attraction"-I don't consider the first meeting to be "a date".
None resulted in a relationship (romance/lust, all that jazz), let alone LTR/marriage.

Can't address the last question-the confluence of technology and socializing is too complex for me to opine on,
plus people have different outlooks so I can't make a broad-brush conclusive statement about how it's used.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:16 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
In my experience, they mean a lot, like a whole lot. I came across many profiles of attractive men, and yet I had absolutely no interest due to lack of compatibility in our questions and profile. So, no, it is not solely about physical attraction. If it were I'd have "settled" for looks-only over quality and substance in much less time than I spent on dating sites.

I agree a ton. Everytime I met someone at over 95% I hit it off with them and had a great time.

Below 80% and I never did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Which sent me running to Match when I read this because a) you have good judgment, and b) I'm already tired of the freakshow on OKC. If it's not kids in their 20s, it's bikers and guys who look like I wouldn't want to run into them alone in an alley. I just don't know what it is with the men in their late 40s to early 50s where I live, though, where so MANY of them have shaved heads and salt-and-pepper goatees, looking like they'd strangle your kitten.

Boring is good for me right now. Nice, clean-cut, law-abiding, suit-and-tie, vanilla, Howie Long boring.

BAH, I'm a priss. I know it. I own it. I'll date the vanilla guys and keep my David Draiman fantasies to myself.

Ha, fair enough. I'm clean cut and like clean cut (though I've shaved my head since early 20s) and wear suit/tie for work, but that's not what I meant about not boring... I just meant, not total norms. But hey, lots of people love norms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships