Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 04:47 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times

Advertisements

I'm sure artists, performers and athletes top the list of people with the most fulfilling jobs, in terms of doing what you love/passionate about.

Last edited by srjth; 05-31-2014 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 04:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Sure, why not.

However, I wouldn't be compatible with a person who spent 65-70 hours a week at their job, or never had any free time to go out and enjoy themselves.
I agree. I could't be with someone like that either.

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Lots of threads about men incomes and how they cannot get dates if they are low income. What about women? Do men really not care how much a woman makes? I work an okay job as a medical receptionist/secretary, but I'm not making big bucks or anything. What's the truth where women's salaries are concerned in terms of getting dates; does it truly just come down to looks then?
The truth is, men care very little when they are just after causal sex or brief fling. However, men care very much when they are considering marriage.

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. My gym job was my "in between" job that I had off and on in my 20's - not my career. My CAREER is being a performer. PERFORMING is my passion - so it's like a paid vacation.
Again... still applies... I really don't mean disrespect as you're one of the best posters here, but get a high pressure job and come back with the same stuff about passion for your work and you might change your opinion a bit... as sometimes work can really tear a person down at times...

Old 05-31-2014, 04:49 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Sure, why not.

However, I wouldn't be compatible with a person who spent 65-70 hours a week at their job, or never had any free time to go out and enjoy themselves.
We agree on that. Been there, done that. It's nice for a while but then gets old when you really want them.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:50 PM

62 posts, read 121,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Lots of threads about men incomes and how they cannot get dates if they are low income. What about women? Do men really not care how much a woman makes? I work an okay job as a medical receptionist/secretary, but I'm not making big bucks or anything. What's the truth where women's salaries are concerned in terms of getting dates; does it truly just come down to looks then?
I personally feel that income should have no barrier or fact, in regards to others dating, getting to know one another etc. sometimes in society We become so focused on materialistic aspects of others rather than what lies within one another's heart. There is so much beauty on earth to enjoy that is more priceless than dining out, spending large amounts of money defined as nature, regardless of another person's financial status that should be irrelevant, because there are many men as well as women who have large incomes but they would never mention it or you would never know, because they want a person to love or get to know them for simply who they are not what they have. That is my perspective regarding those whose concerns are focused more on morals and standards not another's equity!

Old 05-31-2014, 04:53 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,396 times
Quote:
Well, for some of us, our careers are our passion. I worked at the gym in between performing jobs. For me, working is like a paid vacation - and I don't mind talking about it at all!
Well, if I would've 'Made it' as a professional snowboarder like Travis Rice or Jeremy Jones I'd be pretty stoked about my career as well.

Sadly, dreams don't always come true.. Mine was just out of reach.. Probably more because of my social anxiety more than my talent. It's still a passion but aside from a free board here and there, I don't see much income from it.

Lol

Old 05-31-2014, 05:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Again... still applies... I really don't mean disrespect as you're one of the best posters here, but get a high pressure job and come back with the same stuff about passion for your work and you might change your opinion a bit... as sometimes work can really tear a person down at times...
My point is that some people's careers ARE their passion - not that everyone should be passionate about their careers.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:23 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
If anything, making a lot could be a negative.

A lot of guys would not date a woman who made more than them.

I'm not like that exactly, but I wouldn't like to marry a woman who makes way more than me. I'd feel she has too much power over me.
Does that mean if you made more, you would feel like you had power over your partner?

Old 05-31-2014, 05:24 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
My point is that some people's careers ARE their passion - not that everyone should be passionate about their careers.
If I had a job in the performing arts I could see your point.

In life, for the most part, jobs are boring and a necessary evil. I don't see many accountants yelling from the rooftops about their work joy.

I don't think guys that clean port-a-potties are really passionate either...... LOL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships