Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:27 AM

900 posts, read 1,701,851 times

Advertisements

why do men feel the need to do this? Isn't it hurtful to the relationship they are currently in if if offends thier partner? what is the motive behind it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,363 times
I think it's a way to keep the door open, just in case....

Old 02-17-2010, 09:43 AM

that is what my worry is. He swears up and down its innocent. She has a boyfriend now, but would it stay innocent if she didn't? He not only is the (my bf) one to initiate contact, one of the first things he asks about is her boyfriend..... Am I overreacting or should I "put up" with this?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Over many years I've had many relationships with many people who've stayed friendly with their exes, as have I stayed friendly with some of mine. Exes are exes for a reason but not all relationships end badly! I remain close friends with a couple of my exes because they're nice people but it doesn't in any way mean I want to be back in an intimate relationship with them.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
I would also be somewhat suspicious but it is possible that they're just friends and not interested in each other romantically anymore. I can understand your concern though because it probably feels like a kind of threatening situation hanging over your head. I know that's how I'd feel. You're really the only one who can make the determination based on your instincts about what is going on behind the scenes. I would at least tell him that it bothers you which you've probably already done and that should give an indication about how much he values your feelings versus his attachment to his ex-girlfriend. If he seems insensitive to the fact that you find this to be hurtful that would raise a red flag.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,675,499 times
Anyone with any common sense know guys dont keep female friends unless

a) they want to have sex with them
b)they want to have sex with their friends

You can argue just friends, pleutonic or whatever all day. its BS

Old 02-17-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I would also be somewhat suspicious but it is possible that they're just friends and not interested in each other romantically anymore. I can understand your concern though because it probably feels like a kind of threatening situation hanging over your head. I know that's how I'd feel. You're really the only one who can make the determination based on your instincts about what is going on behind the scenes. I would at least tell him that it bothers you which you've probably already done and that should give an indication about how much he values your feelings versus his attachment to his ex-girlfriend. If he seems insensitive to the fact that you find this to be hurtful that would raise a red flag.
He says he will not give up any of his friends for me. i dont consider an ex a friend, but he says he does.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post

Hogwash.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:28 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
maddog1 wrote:
Quote:
He says he will not give up any of his friends for me. i dont consider an ex a friend, but he says he does.
Then as I stated on my earlier post I would have a problem with that. What he appears to be telling you is that your feelings are of less importance than his friendship with his ex-girlfriend. Good luck with this situation and I hope it works out but I honestly don't think that sounds very good.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:30 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post

Speak for yourself. Don't include me in your generalizations!

And to the OP, it's not just guys, for goodness sakes. These ex-girlfriends are just as guilty, wouldn't you admit? Why do they continue to talk to their ex-boyfriends?

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea -- not because of the danger (of cheating) involved, but because it often introduces stress into the new relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships