Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 07:40 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times

Advertisements

Then provide me with ONE real-life example of how it is damaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehSamurai View Post
Incorrect. When I say that men paying for women on dates is damaging, I mean that it creates a precedent where men are expected to pay for dates, and that the men who don't pay are seen in a negative light. All I have to do is pull up one quote in this thread alone to prove that.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:44 PM

69 posts, read 56,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
What do you mean "one real life example"? Why is that the barometer when there are countless women online who clearly state that they expect the man to pay for dates? Doesn't that alone prove my point?

Old 06-17-2014, 07:52 PM

I don't know if I'm not explaining myself well, or if you enjoy playing obtuse. I asked for one real-life example to prove WHY and HOW it is ADVERSE. You have already made clear you don't like it, and you have already made clear that it is setting a bad example. Now PROVE how it has damaged you in REAL life.

Quote:
What do you mean "one real life example"? Why is that the barometer when there are countless women online who clearly state that they expect the man to pay for dates? Doesn't that alone prove my point?

Old 06-17-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I don't know if I'm not explaining myself well, or if you enjoy playing obtuse. I asked for one real-life example to prove WHY and HOW it is ADVERSE. You have already made clear you don't like it, and you have already made clear that it is setting a bad example. Now PROVE how it has damaged you in REAL life.
Why? How would that prove anything? I could come up with any fake story about how it affected my life, so why are you trying to get a real life example? Are you disagreeing with what I am saying? Are you claiming that women do not expect the man to pay? Are you claiming that women who expect men to pay do not judge men negatively when they want to go dutch?

Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Quote:
Paying for an individual meal is hardly a damaging thing, by itself. However, the point is that the practice of the male always paying for the meal (and for everything else for that matter) is a holdover from a time when women were essentially second-class citizens and had little to no economic power. Great strides have been made in the past six decades, at least in the West, and though a wage gap remains more women are now in power careers than ever before, from doctors to professors to business leaders. And yet, the dating paradigm remains thus: guys pursue and ask the women out, and guys pay for the date(s). It doesn't matter that she makes more than enough in a week to pay her way through a hundred first dates, the expectation is still that the guy has to pay or he is "cheap" or that he "doesn't care", or my personal favorite, "is not a real man". Modern women can't have their cakes and eat them too.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:11 PM

Again no example. You're making it clear that there is actually no problem with men paying for their dates if you can't come up with even one example of how it damaged you.

Quote:
Why? How would that prove anything? I could come up with any fake story about how it affected my life, so why are you trying to get a real life example? Are you disagreeing with what I am saying? Are you claiming that women do not expect the man to pay? Are you claiming that women who expect men to pay do not judge men negatively when they want to go dutch?

Old 06-17-2014, 08:13 PM

You're making the same claim as he was: 'on principle I don't like it.'

I still have no real life examples of how it is a damaging thing, not from you, and not from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Paying for an individual meal is hardly a damaging thing, by itself. However, the point is that the practice of the male always paying for the meal (and for everything else for that matter) is a holdover from a time when women were essentially second-class citizens and had little to no economic power. Great strides have been made in the past six decades, at least in the West, and though a wage gap remains more women are now in power careers than ever before, from doctors to professors to business leaders. And yet, the dating paradigm remains thus: guys pursue and ask the women out, and guys pay for the date(s). It doesn't matter that she makes more than enough in a week to pay her way through a hundred first dates, the expectation is still that the guy has to pay or he is "cheap" or that he "doesn't care", or my personal favorite, "is not a real man". Modern women can't have their cakes and eat them too.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Again no example. You're making it clear that there is actually no problem with men paying for their dates if you can't come up with even one example of how it damaged you.
Your line of reasoning is nonsense. If my point is that women would view a man negatively if they do not pay for a date, wouldn't quotes from women saying as much prove my point? You are being ridiculous.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:14 PM

You've made your point quite clear. It damages nothing. You simply don't like it.

Quote:
Your line of reasoning is nonsense. If my point is that women would view a man negatively if they do not pay for a date, wouldn't quotes from women saying as much prove my point? You are being ridiculous.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
You've made your point quite clear. It damages nothing. You simply don't like it.
I don't like it and it negatively affects men who are not willing to pay for the women as well. Your nonsensical attempt to disprove my point did nothing.

My point is that a lot of women (yourself included, judging from your posts) will not take a man seriously as a romantic prospect if they do not pay for dates. You have done nothing to refute that. Again, if you want, I can pull quotes of women on here stating as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships